Hosted by Darren Baker
1/6th scale Initial Tiger I project
armourguy
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 05:48 PM UTC
Hi Guys, With the M4A3 105 out of the way I have started on my next project which will be an early initial production Tiger I. For the build I have dug out this old partially started Tiger I.

The tank hull is all constructed out of 1/4 inch thick plywood. and the turret is constructed out of layers of plywood and sheet metal. The tank's hull and turret was started back in 2001, but never progressed passed the rough shape point that you see below and has been in storage ever since.

After about a week and a half of tweaking, altering, and refining the tank's hull and turret is now ready for build up.

All of the tank's wooden panels were thoroughly coated in Fiberglass resin and sanded to a smooth finish. As I mentioned in my past builds the fiberglass resin coating makes the model stronger, weatherproof, and transforms the wooden surface into plastic by removing wood grain.

On the original hull the upper and lower hull were designed to be two separate pieces, during the refinement the these two halves were mounted together creating one unit.

The lower hull tow shackle mounts were added. The final drive guard strip will be next.

On the tank's turret The roof was added. More progress will be added to the turret as the build progresses.

I have built one of these hulls before in my last tiger I project so I have some of the detail parts on hand which will save time

1/6th scale Tiger I 406

With the basic hull complete I will now be focusing on the tank's lower hull detailing. These would include the final drive guards, final drives, angle brace, welds and ilder mounts. Once complete I will be working on the tank's suspension.

I have a lot of special plans for this build as well as some very special detail parts in mind to produce. More progress and info to follow!
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 10:22 PM UTC
I love these HUGE builds and truly hope that some of them are for customers for I think you would run out of room very quickly.

~ Jeff
armourguy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2011 - 02:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I love these HUGE builds and truly hope that some of them are for customers for I think you would run out of room very quickly.
~ Jeff

Thanks Jeff, All of my vehicle builds are for my own personal collection and are not offered for sale.
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2011 - 05:00 AM UTC
really coming along, hope ther'll be none of that silver drybrushing.
armourguy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 - 02:26 PM UTC
Progress has been slow this week due to my hectic schedule, but some small progress has been made to the model.

The tank's lower hull welds were completed. The lower hull support angles were also added complete with dome rivet detailing. On the tiger I only the top sponson portion of the angle had the rivet heads exposed, On the side hull portion of the angle a hole would be visible. In addition to the angle the shock absorber mounts were added to the lower hull sides.

Because this tank will not be receiving the side skirts, the support angle and other lower hull details will be visible

On the tank's front portion the resin final drive transmission hub and the final drive armor collar were mounted.

On the tank's rear portion I have mounted the tank's idler mount system.

All of these parts have been added to the Tiger I product line. East Coast Armory -- 1/6th Scale Tiger I Detail Upgrades

New tooling Resin Tiger I track aligner blocks.

Resin Adjustable Tiger I rear idler mount system set. This set allows you to adjust the track tension on the tiger's rear idler mount via a wrench. The mount also allows the idler to hang properly from the rear hull.

A youtube video was made with the new progress
1/6th scale Scratch built German Tiger I Tank project video #1 (project Start) - YouTube

With the final drives and the idler mount system out of the way I can now start on the tank's functional Torsion bar suspension. My schedule will be clearing up this week which will allow for more work time and faster build progress. More progress to follow.
armourguy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 - 03:10 PM UTC
I have completed the tank's functional suspension.

The torsion bars have also been added to the product line.
East Coast Armory -- 1/6th Scale Tiger I Detail Upgrades

To make the torsion bars functional I used a similar system that I developed on the Jadgpanther.

In addition to the suspension I also added a set of my resin bump stops.

The suspension can hold up the tank's weight when placed on the ground.

Note the swing arms are that are located on the left hand side swing to the front, while the arms on the right hand side swing to the rear.

Now with the suspension out of the way I can now focus on tooling up the tanks early wheels. More progress to follow.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, December 23, 2011 - 10:11 PM UTC
Extreme Modelling! Respect man!!
armourguy
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 05:26 AM UTC
Since the last post I have been working on the tank's road wheels. Currently I have the outer wheel components and molds complete and I should have the inner wheel components complete by the end of the week. So here is a sneak peak of how what the wheels will look like.

For the tank's road wheels I put a lot of time in the design and assembly to make the wheels as realistic as possible.

Like on the M26, when I was designing the wheels I found it easier to make the wheels assemble as they would on the real tank. The wheels are all bolt together assembly via fasteners and flanges.

The wheels will mount to the torsion bars via a long bolt, which will be screwed and epoxied into the torsion bar casting. The long neck bolt will allow the wheel to spin freely.

Once mounted The bolt itself is covered by the outer wheel flange. and will no longer be visible. A Zerk fitting is currently in mold and will be added to the The outer wheel center hub after the tank is painted.

Once the last parts are ready the wheels will be painted and mounted. More info to follow.
armourguy
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 07:28 AM UTC
The tank's suspension is now complete.

The last of the wheel components were created and the wheels have been added to the product line. http://www.eastcoastarmory.com/tiger.htm

TO mount the wheels to the swing arms I used long necked bolts that were concealed in side the wheels axles. These bolts allow the wheel to spin freely, but secure them securely to the swing arm. Prior to mounting the bolts needed to have some mods made to them.

The bolt's corners were ground off. A slot was also cut into the bolt head via an angle grinder. Because of the confined space of the wheel stem a screwdriver will be used to thread the bolt onto the swing arm. A drop of epoxy was also used on each of the axles to keep them in their proper place.

Prior to the wheels being mounted the tank's lower hull and the wheels were painted in their primer and base coats. The rubber tires were also painted and weathered. Because of all the wheel layers and I airbrushed the weathering on the tank's lower hull and the inner portions of the wheels. These areas will be very restrictive when assembled / installed.

To install the tank wheels, you have to mount them in layers as you would on the real vehicle.

Layer 1, Inner wheel sections

Layer 2, outer wheel Hubs

Layer 3, Inner wheel end sections

Layer 4, outer wheel end sections.

The suspension rolls smoothly, and articulates over obstacles very well.

The wheel Zerk Fittings are casted, but will be added after the tank is painted.

A project update video which shows the suspension in action has been posted on youtube. 1/6th scale Scratch built German Tiger I Tank project video #2 (Wheels and suspension) - YouTube

With the suspension out of the way I will now be focusing on the tank's sprockets and idlers, which I already have. Once complete I can then move on upward to the tank's upper hull detailing. More progress to follow!
armourguy
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 06:21 PM UTC
I have made progress on the tank's upper Hull.

The tank's sprockets and Idlers have been fitted. For the tank's idlers I modified a pair of FOA ABS plastic idlers.

For the tank's idler mods I had to delete the rear molded in hub cap, and to carefully remove the molded in front hub cap. The wheel was filled with resin to make it a solid unit. Once solid I was then able to bore out the recess for the retaining bolt system. two resin and PVC discs were added to the front portion and the rear portion of the idler. The discs give the proper protrusion of the idler hub cap.

To mount the idler wheel I used the same lock pin system that I use on my other builds. The system allows for the wheel to be mounted securely, but also allows the wheels to spin freely.

Progress was made to the tank's front armored plate details.

All of the plate welds have been added, and the front plate bosses were mounted

The tank's driver's retracting visor assembly have been mounted.

A small piece of lexan was mounted on the interior to simulate the panzer glass.

The small back up vision ports were mounted. The mounts have their recessed reduction ledges machined in. On the later production tigers these vision ports were welded shut.

The tank's bow MG ball was also mounted. the bow mg can pivot, and for the MG barrel I used the resin panzerwerk set.

Because I will be making the tank's snorkeling equipment I will be fabricating the bow MG cover. Because I will be making the cover I needed to do something special with the bow MG. Rather than making the MG barrel removable I decided to make the barrel retract instead. The barrel is spring bound and locks into tow positions. One exposed for standard display, the other in the retracted position for when the cover is added.

progress was also made to the On the tank's rear hull details.

The tank's exhaust stacks were completed, painted and weathered.

Because this model is an initial production version of the tiger the exhausts don't receive the cage guards that are present on later vehicles.

Prior to installing the stacks The tank's hull was prepped with the base coat and the weathering.

After the prepping the stacks were added.

Along with the exhausts the idler tension cover caps, fender mounts, rear reflector mount, engine starter cover cap and tow hitch.

a project update video was also uploaded to youtube.
1/6th scale Scratch built German Tiger I Tank project video #3 (front plate and exhaust details) - YouTube

I will now be focusing on completing the tank's rear details like the fenders, tool boxes, tail light...etc. More progress to follow.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 06:29 PM UTC
I really dig these builds. It'd be great to help out on a project like this just for the experience so I could try my hands at one someday.
armourguy
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 11:40 AM UTC
Thanks Jeremy, I can always use a free intern.

I have completed the tank's rear wall detailing.

The tank's functional tool box and Jack block mounts were added. The straps are fabricated out of brass strip. On these initial production tigers the Jack block was mounted on the rear wall as opposed to on the tank's top deck besides the front air blower which was on later production vehicles.

The tool box was mounted vertically with two straps. With the addition of the fifel system the tool box was moved lower and was placed horizontally on a metal shelf that protruded from the hull.

The tank's functional Jack mounts were also added.

The tank's alternate antenna base has been fabricated.

The tank's starter plate was added as well. The plate itself was back dated to the initial version from my early version.

The differences between the two are that the initial version is missing the clutch rod and mount.

Another difference with this component is that the plate mounts to the hull in a different angle.

The tank's mud flaps were also mounted.

The flaps are all fabricated out of sheet steel and have been added to the product line. http://www.eastcoastarmory.com/tiger.htm

The initial tigers had two versions of mud flaps. The first was this version, later when side skirts were added a small extender was added and was bolted to the mudflap and connected to the side skirt. These mudflaps are not hinged but are bolted to directly to the frame.

Later this design was replaced by the hinge design that was common place on tigers.

The last bit that was added was the tank's rear black out notek tail light. For this component I used a Dragon Notek light that was a spare from the schiwmmwagen kit.

The light was modified by adding painted clear plastic lenses for the red, orange, and green lenses. After I added the lenses I decided to also throw in a spare LED that I had on hand making the light full function.

Now with the rear wall details completed I can focus on the tank's grill work. More progress to follow.
armourguy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 04:23 AM UTC
Progress has been made to the model's engine compartment.

Because this model will not be getting the fifel system or the grenade mesh grills covers I can get access to the tank's engine compartment and have plane view of the fans. Because of this I decided to give the tank a full engine compartment interior including the engine and radiator/ fan work.

Before I can start on the interior details I first had to construct the engine bay itself, The bay and all of the lower hull interior details are fabricated out of plastic, lexan, and aluminum.

all of the major lower hull interior components were added, torsion bars, bulkheads, air ducts, idler mounts, and the lower fuel tanks.

The trickiest part of scratch building the interior was to conceal the working suspension system with the detail parts and still keeping the suspension functional.

More interior components (fuel lines, fire fighting equipment, exhausts cooling ducts, water drains...etc) will be added to the compartment very soon.

A project update video was also uploaded to youtube.
1/6th scale Scratch built German Tiger I Tank project video #4 (engine compartment) - YouTube

In addition to adding the last of the compartment details I will now be working on the masters for the fans and radiator. More to come!
armourguy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2012 - 12:14 PM UTC
I focused on the tank's radiator and cooling fan cluster.

I now have 90% of the components complete and am now finishing up the last of the fittings and right hand side air breather radiator cover. Once complete this set will be added to the product line. Until then here is a sneak peak of the set.

One unique feature that this set will have is the the fans are full function and are electrically powered. This will give the model a nice detail element, and if the tank is RC the fans will help pump cool air into the vehicle.

Along with the cooling system I fabricated the tank's rear engine compartment drain water plug. The plug is all fabricated of brass and metal.

The tank's fire wall sliding access plate was added as well.

The last bit of detail that was added was the tank's exhausts cooling manifold. The snorkel tube will be added very soon.

I have started on the engine and once the last parts of the cooling system are complete I can focus on the engine in full steam. More progress to come.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2012 - 06:01 PM UTC
just down right amazing work john! very inspireing.

Gary
armourguy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2012 - 01:18 PM UTC
Thanks guys, The last of the molds are now complete and the sets have been added to the product line East Coast Armory -- 1/6th Scale Tiger I Detail Upgrades .

For the right hand side cluster the radiator fillet gap differs, On the right hand side the cap is in a recess, and is bolted on to the cover. The pressure release tube is also located on this cap. All of these features are built into this set.

I was able to complete the set and it ready for my model.

The coolant tubes are also included with the set.

With the clusters now complete I can now focus on the engine! Stay tuned!
DogGreen1
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 11:07 PM UTC
Madness on a massive scale. Superb work Sir. Scratch bilding anything amazes me but on this scale its stunning. Look forward to the next update.
armourguy
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 - 01:10 PM UTC
Thanks, It has been a while since I had any progress on the model but I have been working on the tank's engine master. Currently I have completed the master for the crank case. So here is a sneak peek of the engine.

I was originally only going to create the HL-210 which was only used on the initial / early tigers, but after a several request emails I will also be creating the HL 230 engine which was used on most of the german tanks. Since both engine blocks are so similar both kits will use the same crank case, but will have different components (rocker arm covers, air filter manifolds, starters... etc.)

I should have the 210 engine masters complete in about 3 weeks. More to come
armourguy
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 10:57 AM UTC
I have completed the molds for the crank case, lower engine plate and the carburetors. Currently I'm finishing up the rocker arm covers and I will soon be on the air cleaning system. Once the masters are ready I'll make the molds and cast up a sample set.

recceboy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 706 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 03:06 PM UTC
John

Well done, with the build of this beast.

Anthony
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 05:13 PM UTC
Love the detail .... fantastic build so far!!
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 06:09 PM UTC
The engine is a model itself! Very nicely done.

~ Jeff
armourguy
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 - 05:46 AM UTC
Thanks Guys, It has been a while since my last post, but I have been working on lots of small engine bits and masters. Currently I completed the engine's rocker arm covers. There are many more smaller parts that are currently in molding. Once ready they will be added to the engine.

The rocker arm cover castings are going to be used on both the 210 and the 230, but there will be different components to add on to the covers that will make them different

Currently I have the rocker arm parts for the 230 complete and the 210 parts are currently in molding.

with the next update I will have more parts complete that once added will distinguished the two engines from HL 210 to HL 230. More to come.

armourguy
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 05:59 AM UTC
I got some progress on the HL 210.

The HL 210's air cleaner manifold system is also different from the 230. On the 210 all four carburetors are connected to one large air duct. On the top of the duct three smaller air filter canisters are mounted. On the 230 the single air duct and three canister system is replaced by two smaller ducts and two larger air filter canisters.

To power the tank's cooling fan / radiator system a gear box emerges from the rear of the engine. On the end of the gear box housing is a out put wheel which wold be bolted to a drive shaft, that would power a small transmission that would spin the cooling fans when installed in the tank. On the 230 the gear box set up was altered in that rather than having there be one out put shaft that emerges from the center. Two out put shafts would emerge from the gear box sides. Each of these two output shafts would then be connected to dive shafts and each would power a transmission that would power the cooling system.

Both engines share the same magneto, and exhausts manifold system. I'm currently working on the 230 air intake system, and gear box/magneto cluster.
Once complete I can move downward to the exhausts, starter and oil tank. More to come!
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 06:55 AM UTC
Good gawd! I could look at these engine photos all day ... but, I have work to do.

Thanks for taking the time to show these. They are really kool!

~ Jeff
 _GOTOTOP