_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
M48A3 Patton 1/35 Tamiya
math-x
Visit this Community
Poland
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 06:37 AM UTC
Hi, I am quite often on this forum as a guest/reder but finally I decided to show some of my work. As a start I would like to present a Tamiya's M48A3 Patton which I did few months ago. This old kit is well known and several issues have been adressed by many modellers in the past . Anyway, I did some modifications to this model but some such as too high suspension were left) .
The tank was detailed with some Eduard photo etched parts. The original M2 was replaced by detailed from RBmodel.
It was painted with Tamiya's acrylic paints (mainly dark green and olive drab). For dirt and mud I used MIG pigments and cheap dry pastels.

All your comments and questions are very welcome.

This is how it looks:

Thanks for viewing.

Regards
humvee
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 07:25 AM UTC
Nice, I really like it. Looks the part!

Mike.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 02:29 PM UTC
Very nice job indeed. Thankfully it appears you ignored the "experts" and left the turret height alone. Love the weathering.
Firecap4
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 309 posts
Armorama: 288 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 03:42 PM UTC
That looks great....after reading "Praying For Slack" I'm really wanting to do one of these, but think I'll wait to see how Miliminis improvements look when they come out; but I digress...gain, nice job.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 05:50 AM UTC
Good job on it. It came out great. The weathering looks really good.

I love this kit, definitely one of Tamiya's best offerings.
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Armorama: 735 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 06:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That looks great....after reading "Praying For Slack" I'm really wanting to do one of these, but think I'll wait to see how Miliminis improvements look when they come out; but I digress...gain, nice job.

I have this kit too, and I was waiting for inspiration. I'll try to pick up "Praying for Slack" somewhere.

Mateusz, that's some excellent color and texture. Your weathering looks amazing. Hard to believe I'm looking at a scale model.
Thanks for posting!
-Sean H.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 10:45 AM UTC
Excellent use of weathering and am parts. Do you have a specific ToO you are trying to represent? I've considered building one of these, just to have a nice base for all the am goodies I can lay my hands on. Too many stacked models on my bench. I really like the, and I may be wrong, bailing wire holding the MREs in place. Anything can be fixed with bailing wire and duct-tape. Your barbed wire seems to be missing the barbs. I can understand this, as I find annealed steel wire to be a perfect representation. I believe the mantlet and its extension onto the barrel should be canvas and unpainted. Perhaps they painted it as a field modification? All this, of course, is just MHO.
math-x
Visit this Community
Poland
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 11:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent use of weathering and am parts. Do you have a specific ToO you are trying to represent? I've considered building one of these, just to have a nice base for all the am goodies I can lay my hands on. Too many stacked models on my bench. I really like the, and I may be wrong, bailing wire holding the MREs in place. Anything can be fixed with bailing wire and duct-tape. Your barbed wire seems to be missing the barbs. I can understand this, as I find annealed steel wire to be a perfect representation. I believe the mantlet and its extension onto the barrel should be canvas and unpainted. Perhaps they painted it as a field modification? All this, of course, is just MHO.

Thank you guys!

Well, this one isn't a representation of any specyfic M48. ..so pretty much my own interpretation. Of course I have looked at many old pictures of M48 as a US Army or USMC. The beauty of this tank is that you can really push boundaries and add to it almost any stowage stuff you like

As I mentioned before this one has already few months already and I agree that my M48 is far from ideal and possibly today I will do it better with better attention to details as well, but I had quite a lot of fun with this one anyway. You right that barbing wire is not quite 'barbing' and looks rather like bailling one. I believe it would be tough to do it from scratch, but I've seen 1/35 scale on the aftermarket, so maybe someday I will add this one as well
Manlet: you may find f M48 with manlet painted in base colour without any troubles. Mine is without canvas (or cover...not sure how to call it)....something like this:

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 01:06 PM UTC
As long as you had fun. That is, after all, why we build. How to make barbed wire on the cheap. Take your coiled wire and glue tiny snips of aluminum foil to it. This is tedious, but more accurrately represents the barbs and is rewarding. I'll try and post a blog on it tomorrow.
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 02:43 PM UTC
Very nice weathering, One tip, on spare road wheels drill out the holes for the mounying bolts. its easy to do and really improves the look.

Tom
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 09:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice weathering, One tip, on spare road wheels drill out the holes for the mounying bolts. its easy to do and really improves the look.

Tom

Great idea. I would have never thought of that.
 _GOTOTOP