_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Pascal's Maxx Pro
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 1,379 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 10:27 PM UTC
Hi
Here the first pics from my legend kit built :

Pre-assembled model

The chassis

And a family picture

The3rdPlacer
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 430 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 10:32 PM UTC
Nice family portrait!

What color are you using for the finish?

Ryan

www.legendusa.net
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 10:48 PM UTC
Those are three awesome looking builds you have there!
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 05:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice family portrait!

What color are you using for the finish?

Ryan

www.legendusa.net

Thanks
I use Tamiya colours, that I mix without proportions. Desert sand + white + few drops of yellow and brown
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 546 posts
Armorama: 538 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 08:48 PM UTC
Looking good! My first copy should be arriving on the 12th! I'll be following this and Robert's builds closely.
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
Armorama: 1,030 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 08:56 PM UTC
I'm following as well. I have one and another one will be here tomorrow.
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 09:26 PM UTC
What are the final looks you are looking to accomplish with these? Iraq, Afghanistan, stateside training? Time frame and user? US Army, Hungarian, Romanian, Polish etc... Some very interesting variants of the MaxxPro out there. Hopefully Legends will come out with another variant that is equipped with the Tac-4 Suspension, or at least a conversion kit.
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 09:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What are the final looks you are looking to accomplish with these? Iraq, Afghanistan, stateside training? Time frame and user? US Army, Hungarian, Romanian, Polish etc... Some very interesting variants of the MaxxPro out there. Hopefully Legends will come out with another variant that is equipped with the Tac-4 Suspension, or at least a conversion kit.

To day no idea ! I'am waiting for the Rob's CD to have reference pics to complete the interior. I think finishing the kit with open doors.
As there is no markings decal sheet available, I don't know how I make this !

Due to the Navistar data sheet I believe that the TAK 4 suspension version is the Maxx Pro Dash DXM, wich is smaller thant the Maxx Pro and Pro Plus
SchoeniR6
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 189 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 10:07 PM UTC
Very Nice!!!!!!!!!!
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 10:29 PM UTC
Tak-4 is a retrofit, they simply cut off the old suspension and weld on the new one. They do it for Cougar's, RG-31's (these look insaine) and also with MaxxPro's. Tankfixxer can probably give more specifics but I know for a fact we would send our old trucks (cougars and MaxxPro's) back to Bagram, a week or two later the same truck comes back wearing a new suspension.
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 11:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

To day no idea ! I'am waiting for the Rob's CD to have reference pics to complete the interior. I think finishing the kit with open doors.
As there is no markings decal sheet available, I don't know how I make this !

Due to the Navistar data sheet I believe that the TAK 4 suspension version is the Maxx Pro Dash DXM, wich is smaller thant the Maxx Pro and Pro Plus

TAK 4 is Oshkosh's Independent Suspension system which the Maxxpro does not use because Oshkosh is one of Navistar's biggest rivals.

The Maxxpro Dash in the independent suspension version of the Maxxpro Base (not taking into account a few other points). And you would think that an ISS Maxxpro would be smaller but in fact the Dash is HUGE. All in all with the OGPK its at least 25ft tall
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 11:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tak-4 is a retrofit, they simply cut off the old suspension and weld on the new one. They do it for Cougar's, RG-31's (these look insaine) and also with MaxxPro's. Tankfixxer can probably give more specifics but I know for a fact we would send our old trucks (cougars and MaxxPro's) back to Bagram, a week or two later the same truck comes back wearing a new suspension.

Its not exactly TAK-4. The ISS on the Maxxpro is made by a different company.
Thatguy
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 11:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The MaxxPro Dash Extended Mobility (DXM) uses a proprietary independent suspension system (ISS) that combines AxleTech's 5000 Series Independent Suspension Axle System and Hendrickson International's engineered sub-frame.

The MRAP ISS program began in 2009 and it appears that the initial plan was to retrofit Oshkosh's TAK-4 ISS to all legacy MRAPs. However, it seems that manufacturers were not happy with not being able to sell their own setup. Global Tactical Vehicles got a US contract in late 2010 to upgrade Caimans using the Arvin Meritor ISS developed as part of the Caiman Multi-Terrain Vehicle variant. Navistar Defense got US contracts this year for the DXM using their ISS.

So far I only know of the TAK-4 being refitted to Cougars. Its possible that other legacy MRAP types got TAK-4 ISS before the decision was made to allow the manufacturers to submit their own vehicle specific types (so much for attempting to standardize any part of the legacy MRAP fleet). I would imagine that subsequent contracts to upgrade the RG-33 series would also use an Arvin Meritor as both GTS and Land Systems OMC are BAE subsidiaries. All of these ISS types use the same wheels and tires from what I can tell, so its hard to tell the difference.
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 11:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Its possible that other legacy MRAP types got TAK-4 ISS before the decision was made to allow the manufacturers to submit their own vehicle specific types (so much for attempting to standardize any part of the legacy MRAP fleet).

I can tell you for a fact that any vehicles in the Maxxpro family of vehicles do not use TAK-4 ISS
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 12:36 AM UTC
Thanks for the explainations.

Extract from a commercial data sheet from 2010.
The Dash is a little smaller than the other.
Tires are differents between each Maxx Pro types? And only the DXM has the Coil spring suspension.

A Maxx Pro Dash seen in Eurosatory 2010
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 01:22 AM UTC
Like I said, i assumed that the Dash was bigger because in person it looks like a monster with the ISS compared to the Base, but I never really physically measured the trucks.

I'd assume the tires are different because of the different weights of the vehicles, but if you really want to know an asnwer to that I can double check
TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 01:29 AM UTC
Interesting, our mechanics always told us that it was TAK-4 and we just took their word for it. My apologies for spreading false info. Thanks for that information though, I never really did understand the difference between all the different MaxxPro's. I assumed the DASH was the one without the elevated turret platform. The armor looked different on them as well.
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 03:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting, our mechanics always told us that it was TAK-4 and we just took their word for it. My apologies for spreading false info. Thanks for that information though, I never really did understand the difference between all the different MaxxPro's. I assumed the DASH was the one without the elevated turret platform. The armor looked different on them as well.

No worries. I work for Navistar so I finally have the rare chance to help people out
Thatguy
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 04:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting, our mechanics always told us that it was TAK-4 and we just took their word for it.

Could easily be a case of ISS and TAK-4 being used interchangeably, TAK-4 being probably the best known of the current crop of systems (sort of like Xerox and Kleenex brand names entering the common lexicon). The official government documentation on the subject treats it very much like this. The suggestion from what I've seen is that the TAK-4 was initially supposed to be the single system used, but it could just be a similar matter of TAK-4 just being a substitute for ISS generally in the briefings.
Chilihead
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 626 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 04:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No worries. I work for Navistar so I finally have the rare chance to help people out

Sean
I thought that you were a student st U of I ? did you graduate?
Mrosko
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 04:12 AM UTC
I think we should all be grateful that the kit is still available. You all know the deal.
Chilihead
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 626 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 04:30 AM UTC
Robert
yes you are so right!
My kit should be here tomorrow; I ordered it from Sprue Brothers.
Hows the build up? and where does one get you CD?
Mrosko
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 08:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Robert
yes you are so right!
My kit should be here tomorrow; I ordered it from Sprue Brothers.
Hows the build up? and where does one get you CD?
Mrosko

Chris, Rob have his own built-post here :

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/184700&page=1
pascalbausset
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 08:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Like I said, i assumed that the Dash was bigger because in person it looks like a monster with the ISS compared to the Base, but I never really physically measured the trucks.

I'd assume the tires are different because of the different weights of the vehicles, but if you really want to know an asnwer to that I can double check

Youre right , even the Dash is very impressive !!

Here a pic that show the difference between the rear tires :

TacticalSquirrel
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 07:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Would you be able to explain the differences between the different models of MaxxPro's?
 _GOTOTOP