_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
ISU-152
der_leutnant
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 09:00 PM UTC
Built an ISU, need a few opinions, any help is appreciated

First of all, let me know what you think of it so far, this is what i've done:

just after primer

made a tarp using rolled epoxy putty, added spare tracks, any more accessories to be added? were the soviets known to carry many accessories with them?

small cloth and chain hung at the side, german fuel cans chained (possible to reuse german fuel cans?)

supposedly one fuel tank went missing / damaged / lost in battle, extra space for a crate!

zveroboy!

more junk! haha

now for the diorama. i used "the corner diorama" from miniart.

tried to depict berlin streets during the battle for berlin as shown

think i need more help in the diorama area haha, not very good at it. how do i make the rubbles from the fallen buildings? i've already cut it out of foam to get the general shape. am i on the right path? or have i got it wrong from the start?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 09:25 PM UTC
First of all, it looks great. Good to see a photo of the intended vignette. The Russians weren't big on creature comforts. Their army is purpose built and purpose trained. From what I have seen and read, the Russian army is insert into the operations area and have to fend for themselves. While this means they could take whatever they wanted from the indiginous people, rarely do you see much stowage. Maybe a ladder or a chair, some food supplies, etc. This was not common during WWII. They were given what they needed to survive and sent to the front. If anybody contends this, I will be interested to hear how it really is/was.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 10:17 PM UTC
Looks very good,the track sag looks just right.Which kit Dml or Tamiya ? That dio has tons of potential,should be great.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 01:24 PM UTC
Looks good. I would move the spare track section laying on the fuel tank, as its weight would damage the fuel tank itself, not a good thing.
About the only things I've seen pics of on Soviet tanks that were actually Soviet were spare ammo crates, parts, and maybe 55 gal (?) fuel drums.
der_leutnant
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 01:22 AM UTC
Thanks for the advice and comments guys, so I guess not too much stuff to put i guess, maybe a crate or two more? and if i can source for a 55 gallon drum, that'll do i guess.

The kit's from Tamiya, Anthony

Had some progress for today,

some preshading done with my own mixture of red brown, dark earth, and some other colours i forgot (haha just mixed till i got the colour i felt was right a long time ago, still had some leftover haha)

after colouring and gloss coat. the colours were a mixture of gunze's russian green 2 and some sail colour. wanted to lighten up the colour, felt it was too dark. opinions guys?

after decals, yet to touch up on the white lines, will do it when i get back from my trip to China.

now that its all sparkly and shiny, it looks more like a museum piece hahaha

won't be having any progress for the next few weeks, will be in China, Shanghai and Beijing to be exact. Gonna check out some type 59's, pershings there i hope. heheh

once again thanks for the comments guys
der_leutnant
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 04:05 AM UTC
oh and about the spare tracks there, unfortunately i cemented it in place before. should have known better. damn.
scratchmod
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 - 01:48 AM UTC
Your 152 is looking pretty good. I like the dio set up. Gonna look great when done.
der_leutnant
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 02:24 AM UTC
thanks for the nice comment. any idea what to coat the foam with? thinking of using wall putty over the foam, and build / remove it from there? any ideas?
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 05:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

thanks for the nice comment. any idea what to coat the foam with? thinking of using wall putty over the foam, and build / remove it from there? any ideas?

Hi Dexter, i use lightweight hydrocal for the exact same thing you want to do. i get it at my local hobby shop. easy to mix and use. short work time however. i file and sand to shape. hope that helps.

Gary
der_leutnant
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 07:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Dexter, i use lightweight hydrocal for the exact same thing you want to do. i get it at my local hobby shop. easy to mix and use. short work time however. i file and sand to shape. hope that helps.

Gary

thanks Gary for the tip! Will look that up!
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 25, 2011 - 01:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

First of all, it looks great. Good to see a photo of the intended vignette. The Russians weren't big on creature comforts. Their army is purpose built and purpose trained. From what I have seen and read, the Russian army is insert into the operations area and have to fend for themselves. While this means they could take whatever they wanted from the indiginous people, rarely do you see much stowage. Maybe a ladder or a chair, some food supplies, etc. This was not common during WWII. They were given what they needed to survive and sent to the front. If anybody contends this, I will be interested to hear how it really is/was.

During the Germany invasion Russian plundered civilians people and used to send all what they had stolen to homeland . Tanks and SPG (especially those which belonged to rearguard troops) usualy were overload with carpets, fornitures, mirrors, paintings, food. Russian soldiers thought that the looting also was a sort of revenge for depredations suffered during the German invasion.
Officially NHVD banned lootings and rapes because these kind of behaviours besmirched Soviet soldier's honor. Actually instances were so diffuse that nobody could (...or wanted ) repress them. In original Russian pictures you can hardly see tanks overloaded with stuff, because Soviet propaganda checked and censored troops images.

Anyway Dexter, a great job so far, the only observation which I can make, is that in my huble opinion white stripes on the turret are too sharp and clean. Real ones actually were rougher than yours.

I'll follow this build for sure

Cheers
der_leutnant
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 06:25 AM UTC
hmm about the white painted line around the tank, do i paint white over the decals to make them look more realistic? won't that make it too thick at that area (as in you can clearly see brush marks and stuff?)
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 08:36 AM UTC
Well in my humble opinion, it won't be thick if you apply a very thin white coat. You could apply some small spots done with base color to simulate erosion of the white paint. If I were you I'd try also to jag the sharp boundaries of the white stripes

Just my two cents anyway

cheers
der_leutnant
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 05:28 PM UTC
thanks for the tips, i guess i'll give it a go later
will post pics afterwards, won't coat it, so removing it will be possible if it goes bad haha
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 07:23 PM UTC
Try on a junk model before. Anyway, according to your pics, you look like a rather skilled modeller so i think you won't have any problem to obtain good results

I'm waiting for your next steps

Cheers
der_leutnant
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 02:52 AM UTC
haha don't give me credit that i don't deserve
anyway some updates, painted over the decals - didn't turn out very nice, should have masked it and sprayed white from the start, oh well at least it looks like the crew actually painted it on (chuckles). Will try to sand it down a little so it doesn't looks so raised as it is now.
also, let me know what you guys think about the rear stowage. thanks

please note i haven't painted the chain yet haha, it wont be so shiny
der_leutnant
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 04:20 AM UTC
update:

washed with oils, drybrushed with enamel buff and did a mist coat of buff too.
the rag, as you can see in previous photos, i'm in a dilemma of what colour to paint it. any suggestions? help would be appreciated
Lateral-G
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 05:04 AM UTC
Very cool!

I just took this same kit out of the stash the other day to look at. Your build gives me inspiration....

Did you paint all the 'add ons' (i.e tracks, jerry cans, tools, etc) after the base coat? I noticed these were attached in the primer stage.

jeff
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 10:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Their supply lines were shorter. It would be illogical to equip a battalion with the most advanced armoured vehicles then leave them without support to 'fend for themselves' as you put it. There was often stowage, but it was usually tarped down, because like the Americans they didn't want their stuff stolen. Whatever else the spearhead unit required (fuel, food, ammunition) was in the support company behind the unit. That's how it really was, Matt.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 - 10:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Their supply lines were shorter. It would be illogical to equip a battalion with the most advanced armoured vehicles then leave them without support to 'fend for themselves' as you put it. There was often stowage, but it was usually tarped down, because like the Americans they didn't want their stuff stolen. Whatever else the spearhead unit required (fuel, food, ammunition) was in the support company behind the unit. That's how it really was, Matt.

That's it. They didn't make the mistakes which Wehrmacht did in Russia. German had supply lines too long in a huge land...Practically a sort of mass suicide....

Anyway now with these rough stripes, your model look very convincing. Congrats
der_leutnant
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 03:36 AM UTC
right, so a tarp over the stowage. got to get on the epoxy tomorrow i guess . and for the colour, what would the gurus recommend? Would a field green sort of colour suffice? or then again would there be too much green?
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 05:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

right, so a tarp over the stowage. got to get on the epoxy tomorrow i guess . and for the colour, what would the gurus recommend? Would a field green sort of colour suffice? or then again would there be too much green?

I'm not a guru, just a Soviet tank addicted

Well tarps are tarps I don't think you have to respect a rule to paint it. Maybe a light kaky colour would be the best choice but that's just my opinion
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 - 03:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Any colour will work, the most common colour was a khaki brown drab., but anything will do, including field grey and zeltbaun camo. I too thought your stowage was overdone but a look at my refs said if anything it showed restraint, including the tracks over the fuel tank, which is fine. But often there was a a big tarped over lump on these vehicles, personal and rider's kit was also stowed off lift rings and eyelets on the back of the vehicle. These vehicles weren't fitted with unditching beams so a telephone pole was sometimes carried .
der_leutnant
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 03:34 AM UTC

der_leutnant
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2012 - 03:44 AM UTC
I think it's safe to say its done? Haha. Might have overdid the mist coat a little (maybe a lot :/). But pretty happy with the colour of the tarp. Colour was made from a mixture of gunze's Russian green 3, sandy brown, and desert yellow, with preshading / primer of black. Also, added a camo net made from medical gauze, and a toe cable from a spare trumpeter kit. Comments please!

Time for diorama!
 _GOTOTOP