_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
WWII French tank to build (1:35 scale)?
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 143 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 02:51 PM UTC
I've had modelers block for a while for some odd reason, and I've finally actually gained an interest in the Mighty french tanks of early WWII. problem is, I can't decide which tank to get. I've excluded the Char B1 from this list because I haven't ever made french armor, so it would be better to have a cheaper test.

Any suggestions?
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 04:13 PM UTC
The Tamiya Char B is a fantastic kit that just falls together and is actually difficult to mess up.

That said, Bronco makes the R-35 (two versions), as does Heller. Neither are supposedly great kits. I don't think really any of the other options are widely available with injection plastic.
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 04:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Tamiya Char B is a fantastic kit that just falls together and is actually difficult to mess up.

That said, Bronco makes the R-35 (two versions), as does Heller. Neither are supposedly great kits. I don't think really any of the other options are widely available with injection plastic.

Hm.. yes, that's what I've seen so far. So far I've got my mind set on a hotchkiss observation tank... it may be a german conversion, but it's still of french origin!
http://www.amazon.com/35-Hotchkiss-38H-Observation-Tank/dp/B000BMYX0U/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1HZEX55IWOIUB&colid=2LR12QESAHB8C
The only problem I have with this model is that it has an interior..... It's a fantastic deal for an interior, except, I'm likely motorizing the model.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 02:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've excluded the Char B1 from this list because I haven't ever made french armor, so it would be better to have a cheaper test.

If you shop around and watch eBay, you can get the Chat B1 quite reasonably. It's a superb kit.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 02:50 AM UTC
The Tamiya Renault UE is als really, really nice, if itty bitty.

Paul
Whiskey_1
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 03:24 AM UTC
If you want to get into French armor, I would definitely recommend you start with a Tamiya kit. The UE is probably the cheaper and nicer option. It isn`t that big and detailwise, it is better than the Char B1 bis. Both kits are dimensionally accurate, which is more than can be said for the H38 from Bronco and the R35 and S35 from Heller.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 04:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I concur with Jesse and all on that Tamiya Char B kit - I was doubtful when I saw it years back, and it remained too pricey for me almost "forever" ... until I came across one on a HobbyLobby clearance shelf. It's cool and yes, it goes together well! I'd echo any recommendation to do one!

But maybe some filler about the other kits - "R35", etc. and Bronco, et alia... may be helpful?

Heller put out several 1/35 scale French tank kits starting what, perhaps 40+ years ago. These included their kits of the Renault R-35, the Hotchkiss H35, and the Somua S-35. All of these are STILL around on evilbay, etc. Best of my knowledge, the Heller Renault R-35 and Somua S-35 kits are still the only styrene kits available of those tanks. By today's standards, these rank as bears and suffer soft detail, many errors, crude vinyl tracks and poor decals. BUT - IF you have the patience, energy and references, you can get good results - and there have been some great builds of the R-35 and S-35 posted... I've done the R-35 (I enjoyed it, once I got into doing some scratch detailing and stuff, and after a kindly soul gave me some Fruil Hotchkiss tracks, which fit OK and look about 500% better than the original rubberbands... but I'm a glutton for punishment) and the Somua (blah.).

But see the "Blitzkrieg in the West" Group Build on FineScale.com for some stunning stuff with the Somua and also with Tamiya's Char B... and there have been great builds of the R-35 kit posted around. Cool tanks!

Both Trumpeter and Bronco have wallowed in the Hotchkiss H-38/39 mud. Trumpeter kicked off with the H38 short-barreled tank. Trumpeter went ahead and did that Hotchkiss in German service with rockets mounted on it, and did Becker's Marder I H (f) with 7.5cm and 10.5cm guns. They also did the H38-based "Beobachtungspanzer" observation tank. All of these are OK - better than Heller but not something like a Dragon or Tamiya kit. They are the cheapest current French tank kits going, I think - and they are buildable, if somewhat soft and, well, not overly accurate.

Bronco went thru a little evolution with their Hotchkiss - the first release - maybe Bronco's FIRST anything release - kit #35001 - was a good first effort with many errors (I think some pretty glaring - too narrow a hull, some fit issues, etc. see some reviews of it?). Crisper than Trumpeter, has interior stuff, comes with link tracks (TINY links...). They re-incarnated it as a German "beutepanzer" with some wurfrahmen rockets mounted. I have done that kit- I think it kept the too-narrow hull, but it built well and has good detail (MUCH improved over the Heller H-35), and comes with some cool details such as real springs for the suspension. OK, maybe a bit fiddly and besides the point for some... Bronco went on and corrected some of the -001 kit faults and did a H38/H39 kit (35019). This is pretty nice IMHO. Nice detail, link tracks, probably STILL a slightly too-narrow hull. But it builds well, so I found, and includes some better decals. Bronco followed up (surprised?) with versions of Herr Becker's Marder and Beobachtungspanzer conversions. These are perhaps the best kits going of these odd beasts.

The various Bronco H kits can often be plucked off evilbay or at shows for prices below what you'll usually pay for the Tamiya Char B. I'd recommend them for anyone who wants to build a French tank smaller than that big Char B.

Tamiya and RPM/Mirage put out kits of the tiny Renault UE carrier. Tamy's is, of course, a Tamiya kit - really nicely done, probably pretty accurate. I've done those others... interesting and sometimes challenging The RPM / Mirage things can come really cheap, and you'll get the wrestling match you paid for!

There's other French WWII stuff out there in styrene.... a slough of Lorraine carrier versions by RPM / Mirage and some by Azimut? as well. Maybe not ideal for the first French tank rodeo, but interesting vehicles. RPM/Mirage have also put out versions of the WWI Renault FT-17 in WWII service, etc. NC.

@Alex You actually have a fair range of cool French stuff to choose from. As The Good Knight said to Indy: "Choose wisely"!

Cheers!

Bob
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 04:33 PM UTC
Thank you to bob and everyone else for the opinions. I've decided I'll be starting with the Char B1! Considering the comments I've heard on it and the fact I've been able to pick one up from Amazon.com for cheap (with no cheaper results from evilbay, or other sites) I'll be opening it for Christmas as just another gift (for myself) So the build log I am excited to announce, will begin on the 25th or so!

Thank for the replies!

Alex
Whiskey_1
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 09:18 PM UTC
Since you will be getting into this thing: Wikilie , a bit of text from Chars Francais, and a list of names.

There are a few good tweaklists out there, but you`ll have to hunt around for those.
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 04:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Since you will be getting into this thing: Wikilie , a bit of text from Chars Francais, and a list of names.

There are a few good tweaklists out there, but you`ll have to hunt around for those.

Thank you for the links! I've chosen Beaune as the model I'll likely be doing. I'll either have to hand paint or print my own decals, meaning it'll take a little longer than expected but great! Any idea of what the camouflage is? By looking at the pictures, it seems to be two tone camo, but then again, there are not many pictures. And if it's two tone it's likely the tan on green the french usually used with two tone as stated here : http://www.chars-francais.net/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=637&Itemid=74
Here's the page for Beaune as well:
http://www.chars-francais.net/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 05:00 AM UTC
There are a few older Trumpeter Hotchkiss tanks around and I believe Bronco does one as well.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 06:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've chosen Beaune as the model I'll likely be doing.

PM sent

Frenchy
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 09:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

PM sent

Frenchy

Thanks Frenchy, just recieved the email, wonderful drawings of the Char B1! It has a similarity to the pictures of the Beaune, as it should. I'm making custom decals after purchasing some laser jet printer decal sheets!

Thanks!

Alex B.
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 02:07 PM UTC
http://www.chars-francais.net/new/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=324&Itemid=46
I have decided to build Meaurthe because first off it has a larger photo reference than beaune, and also, somebody has already built beaune:
http://france1940.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=263%3Ab1bisbeaune&catid=38%3Avehicules&Itemid=84&lang=fr
See you all in my building log at Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Alex B.
 _GOTOTOP