_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
IDF Fuel truck tractor ID?
somtec
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 421 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 - 08:50 AM UTC
Hi
I just ordered one of these 1/32 Mack trucks

with a view to remove the sleeper cab and alter the front end to have a steel not fibre glass front and either make or find a lowloader to turn it into one of these.

A Mack truck ,possibly a civilian vehicle, being used as a tank transporter during the 1973 Yom kippur War.
Ok so now what to do with the fuel tank, by chance i just found this photo of an IDF fuel tanker truck again in the 73 war

Not quite the same fuel tank but close enough with a couple of mods.
Now for the question what is the tractor unit looks like an 800 series to me, or possibly a Mack m123 but iam not an expert in US trucks.
The next question whats available in 1/35.
regards
Peter

Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 - 09:12 AM UTC
May I just ask where you ordered that Mac truck form?

Hisham
somtec
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 - 09:33 AM UTC
Hi
I ordered mine from Mclaren models here in the UK but i think it is currently quite available on the net from various dealers , its the Revell reissue of the old Monogram kit.
Peter
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 - 10:11 AM UTC
Hi Peter

I'm no expert either but the M123 is a bigger, 10-ton truck :

I guess the one in your picture could be a M52 (fitted with a winch) :

(on the later but similar M818 truck, the air filter is on the other side)

If so, both Real Model and Hobby Fan have released a 1:35th scale M52 kit...

HTH

Frenchy
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 - 10:16 AM UTC
Yup, the fuel tanker tractor looks like an M52 to me as well.

The Mack in the kit and the one pulling the tank transporter are R600 series cab/truck. There is no need to change the hood/sleeper though. The IDF also used the same version as in the Revell/Monogram 1/32 Mack kit.

Some had/have the sleeper as well, which is the R800 series.
Removed by original poster on 12/12/11 - 22:37:30 (GMT).
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 - 10:38 AM UTC
Some info about IDF tank transporters :

http://www.tsahal-miniature.com/transport.chars.html

HTH

Frenchy
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 - 11:10 AM UTC
As for your question on what to do with the tanker - I have one and plan to do something I saw in Afghanistan. Paint a 747 on the side of it, along with other typical Afghan decorations, and put the tank up on blocks. Make it into a roadside gas station with a small mudbrick dwelling for the owner. Since I don't plan on getting around to it any time soon, go for it.
somtec
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 07:29 AM UTC
Hi
Thanks for all the replies, guess i may leave the hood alone but the sleeper cab will have to go on the Mack
The Afghan use of the tanker for a petrol station sounds like a typical Afghan improvisation.
Looking at the tractor and various other photos after being pointed in the right direction it certainly looks like a m52 and iam pretty sure the IDf did use them so it makes sense.
Checked out Real models and they seem to have two kits, one a full vehicle the other a conversion kit for an italeri 5tonner, an alternative would be a scratch build,
will probably go the conversion route as i already have a bigfoot truck in the stash but will need a set of wheels.
Has anyone built the conversion kit, what do you get and how much of the italeri kit do you use.
Peter
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 08:34 AM UTC
I haven't built the Real Model ones. For the conversion I think it is all the cab parts and M52 specific pieces. You end up using only the frame and running gear from the Italeri 5-ton kit.

As another option, you could always make your own M52. It is pretty easy using the M54 Conversion posted by Dave "Animal" Willet here a while ago. All you would have to do is bob the frame behind the rear wheels, reposition the storage tool box, add another fuel tank, and add a 5th wheel.

I followed the above conversion to build an M54A1 Guntruck. I think it came out pretty nicely. (I did miss a few things, like the nose should be flat across and I missed the 1/8" shorter frame. I did mine before Dave posted the article and was going by emails back and forth on how to build it.)

I have also built an M932A2 5 ton tractor using what I described above too.

Hope that helps a bit.
somtec
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 09:21 AM UTC
Hi Gino
Thanks for the pics and the link to the m54 conversion.
Will have to give it some thought, ive got the required kits and the conversion itself doesnt look to bad, would still need a set of wheels . Probably work out cheaper this way.
Peter
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 10:40 AM UTC
I've got a set of wheels you might like. I'll dig them up and take a photo. PM me your email address.
 _GOTOTOP