_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Tamiya Matilda; critique needed
Lateral-G
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 05:14 AM UTC
Just finishing up my Tamiya Matilda and need some feedback on the weathering before I apply the final sealer/clear coat. I've done enamel washed with burnt umber, black and rust and added some dust (using real dust from the Rust-All set).

Let me know what you guys think.

-G-
dutchboyinohio
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 05:26 AM UTC
That's a great looking Matilda!! I'd say maybe just some dust should do the trick.

By the way, I'm working on the same kit for the Totally Tamiya campaign. What colors did you use for the camo? Also, any suggestions for painting are appreciated, especially with regards to painting subassemblies. I'm still trying to figure out how far I can assemble this thing before I should throw some paint on it.

Mark
Lateral-G
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 06:01 AM UTC
Thanks. I'll try and add a bit more dust.....

Painting was a big thinker for me as well considering the fact the track and side skirts were in place when it came time to do the cammo.

I first painted the sloped parts that cover the bogies with the basic hull color (XF-59) prior to assembly. This helped when it came time to paint after assembly. Masking the tracks under the sponsons is a real bear and takes some time to do. I used a combination of tape and wet tissue. The remaining colors were masked and painted. The blue (XF-23) was done first, followed by black green (XF-27). The mask had to go up and into the side opening on the skirts. If you take your time it should work. Masking on the rear engine deck is a challenge too with all the irregular surfaces. Many small pieces of tape instead of one large one help.

If you were to paint the tank in all one color it would be easy, but none of the schemes provided are just one color

-G-
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 - 07:17 AM UTC
Hi jeff,

Neat looking Matilda. I'd agree more dust of varied colours and maybe rub some into the paint work.

the official colours called for:

BSC No 34 Slate or New Service Colour
BSC No 28 Silver Grey
BSC No 64 Portland Stone.

The Silver Grey had more of a green hue to it but I've seen plenty of models painted with similar paints so it probably depends on what paint you used.

It appears you've used Light Stone rather than Portland Stone but again that's down to what you want.

I'd maybe vary the tarps a bit.

Grand looking Tilda either way, nice work.

Al.
 _GOTOTOP