_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Panzer IB
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 07:54 AM UTC
Here are a few pictures of Dragon's Panzer Ib . This was a challenge from my friends who at the end of November decided we should all start a new kit and finish it before the end of the year...Well all the pieces are there and paint is on so I concider the model done with just the weathering to do..(works for me! Lol)
I added friuls,some chains,and some scratch built clips for the tools and the front fenders. Decals are by Bison(and I did get them to lay down around the hatches with three coats of solvaset..Scary stuff but it works)
All comments are welcome ..

Happy New Year
Rick
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 08:13 AM UTC
Great Job Rick ! How did you like the kit ? Any issues ? Happy New Year & thanks for sharing !
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 08:23 AM UTC
Not a bad little kit ..It was a little fiddly to get all the superstructure to line up ..but nothing a little Mr Surfacer couldn't fix .. I forgot that the idlers are wrong in the kit and new ones were bought from Lion Marc,but I think Dragon has corrected this in the newer kits ..I was a fun kit to build. Well worth buying.

Rick
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 08:44 AM UTC
Nice looking build. Nice job.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 08:54 AM UTC
Richard:

NICE Panzer 1B!

I really like seeing these done up in the brown-over-gray scheme "regulation" through JUNE 1940! Yours came out nicely.

I'll guess this is the Dragon 6186? kit - their first Pz 1B, and not the slightly modified 6207 "DAK version" (which I am WIP right now) - both suffer that idler issue... You caught that and it looks right!

Alas, NONE of the Dragon 1B kits - not even the most recent Smart Kits with their great (IMHO) MagicTracks and really nicely-done new idlers - have yet to address the very visible details at the outer ends of those wheel-bogie frames (a cast-in pocket with a bolt-head inside - part of the assemble process for the real tank and actually only even feebly-depicted on the old Italeri kit, which has a little bump there for that bolt-head)... But this is no gig to you!

Your build looks really cool, even if pretty darned "clean"!

My one "carp" is those small number plates... your numbers are too large for the plates, and generally those were white on black... but that's only a "generally".! Few put these on their builds, and they were a really common feature on Poland and France-campaign tanks. Kudos to you!

Bob
bellers
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 253 posts
Armorama: 218 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 09:12 AM UTC
nice work richard like the camo but as panzerbob said a little dirt on the running gear would just finish her off again nice job dude
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 09:26 AM UTC
Hi Bob ..This is the DAK kit but all the parts are still in the kit so i back dated it with the left over engine hatches...
The number plates I made from sheet styrene using the Tamiya Panzer II for the size ...I think the Bison numbers might be a bit big ..
Don't worry ..the weathering hasn't started yet other than a filter and a black wash ..More to come.

Rick

Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 10:01 AM UTC
@thebear – Richard,

Terrific job, you didn’t miss a thing! My favorite part of your build has to be the worn and torn rubber tires. Your build is so sweet that I’m going to have to go out and get one of these and build it. Thanks for the tip on the wheels, decals and tracks. Where did you get the chains – brand? The chains look outstanding on the back of the tank.

Thanks for sharing and posting your build, excellent photographs too!

Happy Holidays and happy New Year’s
~ Eddy
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 10:19 AM UTC
Hi Eddy ..thanks for the comments .. The chain is the smallest size from the Tank Workshop..

Rick
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 01:34 PM UTC
Hi Rick
The Pzr 1 looks fantastic .... love the yellow decals on the grey/brown camo. Weathering will really bring this home ... a bit on the shiny side at the moment ... but thats understandable consideing its still in progress. Any further plans ... figures ... base?
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 02:47 PM UTC
Hi Frank , Thanks for the comments and yes it is still on the gloss coat . I plan on adding mud over the crosses as the germans found out quick enough that their crosses made great sighting points. I'll probably leave the one on the rear of the turret yellow. Never thought you could get that many decals on such a tiny turret.

Rick
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2011 - 08:30 PM UTC
Richard;

Mud on the crosses WOULD go well! Dust that panzer up a bit and it will be a sharp piece indeed!

Lots of period pics show that this "cross-obscurement-by-mudding" happened fairly often in the Polish campaign... I tried it out on a somewhat facetious version of the first Panzer I Kleiner PanzerBefehlsWagen I built to try out various things... 2cd build I did after coming back into the hobby a couple years back (from a 35-year break ) I had just learned about the new awareness that the Germans actually did do brown over grey until July 1940, and saw some pics of mudded crosses, so...! Had to do some! The "mud" in my case is real chalk mud. I added on the black number plates you may be looking for after I took this snap...

PS: This is the Kleiner 1A kit that MasterBox puts out - rather nice in many ways and a different subject.

Cheers!

Bob
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 06:34 AM UTC
Nice job Bob.. It's coming along ..so far I've got the flat coat on and added some dust streaks...not too sure what I want to do with the lower hull yet (just dust oe add more mud )so I'll think about that till next year and see what happens..
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 08:42 AM UTC
@thebear – Richard,

Thanks for the reply and information on the chains it is much appreciated. I’ll be using your photographs for reference when I do mine, great job on the camouflage.

Happy Holidays and happy New Year’s
~ Eddy
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 09:26 AM UTC
Nice one Rick,

Al
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 11:30 AM UTC
Turned out looking really nice so far Rich.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 - 06:09 PM UTC
Thanks Dave and Al!

Happy New Year guys!
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 04:31 AM UTC
Here are the final pictures ..It's a new year..time for a new project ..

trying to show the small front fender holders that I made out of wire...

All the best for the New Year!

Rick
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 11:24 AM UTC
Richard!

Mud is GOOD! Dirt and grunge NICE! Call it a wrap! I would, were it mine!

Happy New Year!

Bob
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 01:30 PM UTC
wrapped it is!
 _GOTOTOP