_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
REVIEW
Italeri Elefant tank destroyer
redmike
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 10:48 AM UTC
That box picture brings back some old memories. Thanks for the review.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 12:13 PM UTC
I've had the Elefant for ages so it's not a question of DML vs. Italeri - I have the kit and I want to build it but fairly accurately. So, the rear angles underneath are a little off, easy enough to fix with plasticard, I got the decent HB tracks for five bucks, and the old Eduard AM set was on fire sale due to the DML offering being out. That should bring it up to acceptable "shelf standard", at least for me. I don't do contests so it's not a concern for me. The DML kit isn't perfect either. Unless it's been corrected in recent runs, the front bolts are transposed and need re-arranging, not too difficult but annoying for a kit heading into the $65 range.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 11:27 PM UTC
I've never bought it (I still was a young aircraft modeller in the early eighties) but i remember that when It sorted out was one of the most appreciated and liked model by Italian kit modellers

Nice to see it still on sale!
johncpo
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 01:35 AM UTC
I just ordered a new Italeri Elefant from LuckyModels as opposed to "used" on Ebay for more! The Italeri model is just one of many that I used to have so I must be re-living my earlier days as I have the Dodge Ambulance, Chaffee and the Heller release of the GMC 6x6 and the DUKW. My collection also includes the Priest and a re-release from Revell and the M3 White from Zvenda. Whew! I think that covers Italeri and its spin-offs. Now their collection is all MRC, what's next!!??
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 286 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 03:20 AM UTC
I have build one, I put in diorama where it was in fixed position (towed in place after engine failure). Good ol' times, when I actually was able to finish models...
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 04:11 AM UTC
I bought this kit years ago from a car boot sale,I think it was 2nd hand or it might of been 3rd inand
johncpo
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 - 10:24 AM UTC
I just started mine and the dark grey plastic made me think about reversing the green and yellow cammo which I did as the darker green went over the grey plastic color better. Then I "spotted" yellow cammo onto the green and it does't look too bad. I suspect that following German cammo schemes for every vehicle would be impossible so I went with artistic license and went with the impossible.
colonelmustard
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 11:07 AM UTC
Ohh... by the way... guess what.!! Tamiya have only gone and announced a brand new tooled elephant tank in 1/35 scale. (Hot off the press)..it should be a post Kursk offering... which I hope for as it includes decals for two in Russia and one in Italy... (Italian Elephants were only post Kursk.. ie had bow machine gun and raised commander cupola improvements... Ohh please also have zimmerit, so's it can be nice and accurate.. all post Kursk Elephants were Zimmed..
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 06:10 AM UTC
i'd buy this kit to model it "destroyed".
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 05:53 AM UTC
I got this kit seating in my stash for over 20 years now. Bought it when it was the only player in town. Now it worth nothing if I wanna sell it. So I'll probably do my best and try to build it the best I can I suppose. But I'll definitely buy it a new set of tracks.
vettejack
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,277 posts
Armorama: 1,254 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 08:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I built this model a short while ago... I know it's old, not accurate and possibly more trouble than it's worth. But I replaced the tracks with after market Fruil one's, put an aluminium barrel on it and resin Zimmerit. I know what I did was costly... but the enjoyment of bringing an old but good kit up to scratch... was worth it. I know Dragon would have given me the same for less.. but I enjoyed the experience... Isn't that what making models kits is supposed to be all about..

I'm probably in the 50-50 world when it comes to what kits I wish hack upon.

While I enjoy some of the old kits (Testor's M47) for tinkering, improving and adding aftermarket, I stay away from old mold technology for the most part. The cost to improve or make accurate can sometimes far exceed the benefit.

On the other hand...while its better for me to stick to modern/high technology produced kits, for ease of construction, the other caveat here is the expense of some new kits will keep me away...again, when it far exceeds the benefit.

And my justification for either approach can be seen like this: my age/eyes/motor skills. I can't build like I did 30 years ago...my peepers need a magnifier and my fingers are all 'thumbs'...so, either way, kits from any era now has to fit what my geriatric body can handle!

P.S. I do recall the Italeri 'Ferdi'...and thought it a damn nice kit for the era.
 _GOTOTOP