_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Academy New Hetzer
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 08:28 AM UTC
Academy has a new Jagdpanzer 38T Hetzer late production in the works and due for release during the first quarter of 2012. This is listed as an all new tooling and is 1/35th scale.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 11:33 AM UTC
It's a kit that could use a new version, as it remains very popular with its older DML and Tamiya versions.
erer270
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 01:38 PM UTC
Wow, Can't wait for it.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 02:24 AM UTC
Man...now Academy is getting with the program and releasing some cool new stuff. Niiiiiiiiice!

Jeff
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 09:42 AM UTC
Looks like something to get. I've always liked Academy. Is it me or it the guy on the back of the tank merging with the tank itself?
Ranchhand
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 257 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 10:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like something to get. I've always liked Academy. Is it me or it the guy on the back of the tank merging with the tank itself?

its the new "Manhattan project" version of the tank.. very limited edition.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 11:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

its the new "Manhattan project" version of the tank.. very limited edition.

das Filadelfia Experiment

Seriously, there looks like there is some sort of water mark on it that causes it to look blended
Eloranta
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 286 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 09:07 PM UTC
Sure, typical... As I have Tamiya Hetzer under construction and in process to convert it to late model... But I welcome every new Hetzer kit, one of my very favorite tanks.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 04:07 PM UTC
I looked at the kit at Academy's website. It includes paint masks for the camo pattern. No sprue shots yet. Two complete figures, and the guy with the missing leg is kneeling.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 04:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I looked at the kit at Academy's website. It includes paint masks for the camo pattern. No sprue shots yet. Two complete figures, and the guy with the missing leg is kneeling.

Hi

Couple more pictures here showing built kit
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10179496

and sprue shots here
http://mmzone.co.kr/mda/docview.php?id=275

Alan
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 07:47 AM UTC
It's hard to tell from the pics if there's any actual improvement over either DML's or Tamiya's Hetzers, as Academy isn't known for their accuracy. The masking patterns are a nice touch, but then every modeller who uses them will have identical models! I think I would have preferred a more extensive PE fret. That MG shield would definately look better in PE, as would a few other details. The figures are at the lower end of "so-so", and being painted in gloss doesn't improve their look. I'll just have to wait for a build review and see what the experts think.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 09:42 PM UTC
Well If I can find it at the right price I'll get it and make my own "Expert" analysis of the kit

I like hetzers and I like Academy, some kits are hit and miss, some are bad and some have an undeserved bad rep such as the Marine M4A2 which is actually very good and the Lee which first of all everyone said had the wrong hull but later changed their minds.

Being academy it'll probably end up selling at a bargain price somewhere
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 04:26 AM UTC
That's what I'm hoping for. Academy's kits are generally much more affordable, at least for me.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 04:50 AM UTC
Yeah. I've got the Academy Lee. The hull is OK, but the turret needs a bit of sanding on the contours as they are too sharp. The biggest error was the M3 suspension units which were too tall and needed to be replaced with Formations castings. Apart from that, a good kit. Still waiting for a better and 'correct' M10!
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 06:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah. I've got the Academy Lee. The hull is OK, but the turret needs a bit of sanding on the contours as they are too sharp. The biggest error was the M3 suspension units which were too tall and needed to be replaced with Formations castings. Apart from that, a good kit. Still waiting for a better and 'correct' M10!

As I understand it they replaced the suspension with correct ones, even sending them out to who ever already owned the kits with the wrong ones, so that clears up "the biggest error" and as regards the turret, I think there has been some debate over that with it being by some to be correct, but as you have done, if wrong can easily be corrected by some sanding. Heard of worse from the so called top manufacturers.

Academy seems to be one of the favourite companies to pick on, and on balance all manufacturers make mistakes, but it just feels like Academy is the popular one to have a pop at.

The kit (Jagdpanzer 38) looks pretty good to me and I'm sure it'll come in at a reasonable price. If so I'll get one.

Alan
mimeda
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 204 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 02:45 AM UTC
Hello, everybody, just got the kit on ebay for $18. Will start a build as soon as it gets home.

_GOTOTOP