_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Pz.Kmpf IV track sag input needed
Lateral-G
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 11:25 AM UTC
After asking the question a while ago and getting a few answers I implemented the cantilevered pin method to sag the tracks on my Academy Pz.Kmpf IV. Let me know how it looks. Too much, not enough?

And shoot me some thoughts on the cammo so far.

thanks...
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 03:07 PM UTC
Lat. G;

Hi!

Tracks... Well, you certainly have attained SAG! Too much so, IMO. The great majority of period (WWII) pics show "in service" IV with mostly less sag than you have. Damaged and abandoned tanks are more varied, as one might expect. A really loose track, such as you depict, would very likely shed in a turn or other sharp maneuver - maybe when jouncing across a ditch or such. But this is only my opinion...

The camo... I assume that you will be adding some dust and dirt to it - so comments at this point are limited. RIGHT NOW, it looks a bit too contrasty, to me - but if you do some fading of the dark green and some dusting, it will end up looking a lot different - so we'll wait and see! I would suggest doing a light - colored wash on the dark bands; maybe some very thinned "deck tan" or "buff" to tone-down the contrast and blend things a bit. "Young camo", like green beer and under-aged wine, tends to be sharp and rough and raw!

Your finish and coats look good - the key basis for getting a fine outcome!

I look forward to seeing things mature a bit!

Bob
Lateral-G
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 08:57 AM UTC
Sag reduced....

pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 10:19 AM UTC
Well done fixing it. I think it looks good now.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 04:59 PM UTC
I ditto Jesse - The SAG Looks MUCH better!

Bob
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 06:02 PM UTC
Your sag is good now. In looking at photos of Mark IVs (admittedly later models), some appear to have almost no sag at all.
Lateral-G
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2012 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Your sag is good now. In looking at photos of Mark IVs (admittedly later models), some appear to have almost no sag at all.

I've noticed that. I wanted to have some to give a bit of character.......
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 - 08:29 PM UTC
Hello Jeff.
Im sure you´ve often heard how important it is to plan your build in advance. This is one of those general topics that cold be avoided, if the build was planned properly. As Bob wrote "Damaged and abandoned tanks are more varied" .... yet your build has depicted a tank that has everything perfectly in place as if it was new, like a show room model.
For you next model, if you decide you would like heavy tracks sag and/or heavily chipped paint, etc, you should probably consider how you build accordingly.
Roughed up tyres, missing tyres, missing roadwheel, fenders damaged or missing, field modification, field repairs, accumulated stowage, scavaged stowage, other damaged details, etc. All of these show the tank has been through the war in some way, has seen action, has signs of a seasoned machine, that the track sag is there for a reason and then paint accordingly. Then the image ties together and feels right.
 _GOTOTOP