_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Dora 1/35 Which one help request
42rocker
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 62 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 - 05:37 PM UTC
Greetings
First post and asking for help... For some "small" reason thinking about doing a 1/35 Dora build. Due in part to several nice builds on this site.
Question I've seen several listings "regular" (SOA-MT3511) and then "Premium Edition" then one by "Metal Troops Creation" "Premium Edition" (#35001). Of course a price difference between the regular and the premium ed...
Any thoughts on the differences?? Ideas??

Later 42rocker
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 - 10:45 PM UTC
According to the box art you can see here :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Troops-1-35-Dora-Kit-Railway-Gun-Model-Kit-MT002Z-/350406139311?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

it seems to me that Soar Art Premium edition = Metal Troops Creations Premium edition...

The premium edition includes PE parts and aluminium rails.

Frenchy
42rocker
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 11:40 AM UTC
Frenchy
Thanks for the info. Any other thoughts on differences between the kits?

Later 42rocker
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 12:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Frenchy

Later 42rocker

The difference is in how much lighter your billfold will be after purchasing the regular or one of the two premium versions. I can't remember where; but, some time ago, I saw an ad for a metal replacement barrel. For $250. The barrel is strong enough to allow the better half to beat you to death with it after she finds out how much that "little metal pipe" cost. Good luck.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 - 07:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Frenchy

Later 42rocker

The difference is in how much lighter your billfold will be after purchasing the regular or one of the two premium versions. I can't remember where; but, some time ago, I saw an ad for a metal replacement barrel. For $250. The barrel is strong enough to allow the better half to beat you to death with it after she finds out how much that "little metal pipe" cost. Good luck.

Now the question is: Is the barrel sturdy enough to use your 1:35 "Dora" during discussions with the neighbours?
42rocker
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 04:54 PM UTC
mmeier
Neighbors don't have invites in... And we keep the alarm system on and the dog hungry.. If needed, my sign in is 42rocker, why, because of my like for mg42's and other belt feed 1/1 scale items that I rebuild. Have the class 7 ffl to do it.
I'll bring the 1/35 Dora home while the wife is in Japan, if I get it that is.

Thanks to all for your input on difference.

Any other thoughts??? As to which to buy?? Was thinking of replacing the rails anyway and replace some to the other parts with pe anyway. So others thoughts??
Is the "premium" edition really worth the extra wallet flatting?

Later 42rocker
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 06:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

mmeier
Neighbors don't have invites in... And we keep the alarm system on and the dog hungry.. If needed, my sign in is 42rocker, why, because of my like for mg42's and other belt feed 1/1 scale items that I rebuild. Have the class 7 ffl to do it.
I'll bring the 1/35 Dora home while the wife is in Japan, if I get it that is.

Thanks to all for your input on difference.

Any other thoughts??? As to which to buy?? Was thinking of replacing the rails anyway and replace some to the other parts with pe anyway. So others thoughts??
Is the "premium" edition really worth the extra wallet flatting?

Later 42rocker

I gotta be honest with you. A couple aluminum rails aren't worth tacking on an extra Deuce and a half, even with free shipping. Legend's Toys & Hobbies (located in California) has the Soar Art kit for $650, plus $60 shipping:

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360406326737+#ht_1402wt_726[/url]

which is a lot cheaper than the Metal Troops kit (which is essentially the Soar Art kit, anyway). You indicated that you intend to replace the rails; so, why part with the extra mazooma on something you'll be 86'ing anyway?

It's just my opinion; but, if I was going to buy this, I'd go with the less expensive SA version. Besides, turning an aluminum replacement barrel should be a cinch for you, considering your area of expertise.

Also, consider what the ball and chain will think about you blowing nearly a grand on the MT kit. To ensure domestic tranquility, it would be prudent to go with the SA.

42rocker
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 07:20 PM UTC
Headhunter506
Thank you that very direct info on that. You may note that the ebay link that you posted was sold just a few minutes ago. Then I got to see your nice post which confirmed my gut feelings. Thanks for your thoughts on the barrel turning. That is not normally an area I get into. However will be looking at and thinking about doing something. Might try to turn the shells however.
My wife and I were just talking about how many yen I should try to dig up for her before she goes to Japan for 10 days. So hopefully I should not have an problems bringing Dora home, still might have to keep her at the shop.
However that said anyone here need any machine gun parts?? 1/1 scale of course?? Need to pay for a Dora that I just bought.
I believe that I will be asking a lot of questions now that I bought a 1/35 Dora so please keep on posting me with ideas and thoughts. Also bought the junior 1/72 Dora so will have a pair to compare. My wife did make it clear about a 1/6 scale Dora however. I really don't think that I should go that way......

Thanks to all for your input and I'm sure that I'll ask a few more question on the way. Like they say...
Enjoy the ride....

Later 42rocker
42rocker
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 - 07:26 PM UTC
mmeier
Just noticed Nordrhein-Westfalen that's a little North Of Koln/Cologne. Nice area, hopefully this time of the year you are staying warm.
Thanks

Later 42rocker

42rocker
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 02:04 AM UTC
Now the long wait starts for the box to show up.... I think that I need to find some space to work on this one.

Later 42rocker
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 06:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now the long wait starts for the box to show up.... I think that I need to find some space to work on this one.

Later 42rocker

You might be able to squeeze it inside Deerfield Beach.
42rocker
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 08:17 AM UTC
Well my thoughts on Deer Field Beach is it's on the wrong coast line. I'm on the West coast of Fla and will build and point it towards the East coast, Deer Field Beach area will be the target area. LOL of course...
I'm on US Hwy 19 North of Clearwater, part of Tampa Bay.

Any thoughts or ideas that are not in the build posts, I'm interested.

Later 42rocker
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 10:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now the question is: Is the barrel sturdy enough to use your 1:35 "Dora" during discussions with the neighbours?

Well, at 800mm, in 1:35 that's a 22.86mm bore. A 12-bore "replacement" is a tad underscale at only 18.5mm bore diameter, but if any nit-picker points it out you could just reload...

Of course, those railway trucks would need to be tough to handle the recoil!

Tom
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 - 07:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

mmeier
Just noticed Nordrhein-Westfalen that's a little North Of Koln/Cologne. Nice area, hopefully this time of the year you are staying warm.
Thanks

Later 42rocker

Thanks, this is a very warm year, only 3 days of "frost" (-2/-3 Celsius) so far. No crashing powerlines (Although my family wasn't affected the last time either - local power plant(s) are nice)

As for the MG42 - damned fine piece of steel. Lugged a MG42/59 aka MG-3 through the Eifel, the Münsterland and Fulda Gap back in the 1980s.
42rocker
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 03:00 AM UTC
mmeier
If you got to carry the mg3 and not the lafette tripod and all the ammo needed, then indeed you might have been the lucky one. Unless you had the new mg3 lafette tripod that is. The WW2 lafette weights in around 48 pounds if I remember right. Never shot one in Full Auto just our rebuilt semi autos. Have a MG42 on a nice WW2 Lafette style tripod with WW2 optics and it looks nice. Funny part is I'm making a Dragon MG42 in 1/6 scale. Nice thing is when I'm working on this model I know the parts quite well and have an original part to look at if needed.... LOL will not be that way with the Dora.. LOL..
mmeier Lets see if this link works and if so then here are some pics and info about my 1/1 MG42.

http://mg42.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11284

Please let me know what you think.

Tom -- 12 gauge, you say with a light load that the tracks can take. Sounds interesting, I'll check into it..

Later 42rocker
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 03:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

mmeier
If you got to carry the mg3 and not the lafette tripod and all the ammo needed, then indeed you might have been the lucky one. Unless you had the new mg3 lafette tripod that is. The WW2 lafette weights in around 48 pounds if I remember right. Never shot one in Full Auto just our rebuilt semi autos. Have a MG42 on a nice WW2 Lafette style tripod with WW2 optics and it looks nice. Funny part is I'm making a Dragon MG42 in 1/6 scale. Nice thing is when I'm working on this model I know the parts quite well and have an original part to look at if needed.... LOL will not be that way with the Dora.. LOL..
mmeier Lets see if this link works and if so then here are some pics and info about my 1/1 MG42.

http://mg42.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11284

Please let me know what you think.

Tom -- 12 gauge, you say with a light load that the tracks can take. Sounds interesting, I'll check into it..

Later 42rocker

You can always use a 12ga. dragon's breath round to simultaneously impress and scare the living hell out of your neighbors. The effect would look super cool coming from something the size of this kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8niD-n0lHk
42rocker
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 07:57 AM UTC
Dragons Breath is legal to own, NOT legal to shoot in the state of Florida. What an idea, however the melt down from something like Dragons Breath would be real bad. Thinking about using 12 gauge shell with a inside chamber for something smaller like 410 or even 9mm or 22long rifle.
Still waiting for that big box and starting to look for an area to build it in. Worry about where to put the finished Dora later.

Rail replacement -- Does anyone know if the make a railroad rail that would work for the 1/35 Dora rail???

Well just saw the note that it left Calf and on it's way to Jax, Fla then from Jax to my area. Hope to have Dora next week.

Later 42rocker
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 - 10:46 AM UTC
Just a suggestion:

You might want to check K&S Engineering Special Shapes Division. They make all kinds of bar stock,tubing and angles. They probably make "I" beams which can be used as rails. If not, you can get the "I" beams and solder bar stock of the appropriate dimension onto it to make your own.
42rocker
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 04:29 AM UTC
Joseph
Thank for the K&S info. The big guy Dora 1/35 should be here on Wed. A 1/72 Dora should be here in the next 6 weeks. It seems a lot of folks are cutting the trucks in half on the 1/35 Dora. Any thoughts out there on this??

Later 42rocker
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 02:53 PM UTC
IF you are going to pose your larger Dora on a curve, I would do it. The actual split, and new end detail you would have to invent, will be nearly invisible, on a straight track build.
42rocker
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 - 06:14 PM UTC
Carl
Thanks for your thoughts on that, right now I'm thinking about building on a curve. Like the setup that they show on u-tube. Or something like that at any rate.
Now where to get the track from. And what gauge? Standard or "O" gauge or ?? looks like 1/35 Dora track. Looking at the u-tube pics the real Dora track looks nothing like a regular railroad track set up. Or is what I'm seeing the set up or build the Dora track that the cranes that were used on. Need more info?? Need more info???? Two sets of track for the Dora wheels and the other tracks for the cranes used to build the Dora?

Later 42rocker
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 02:06 PM UTC
As the Dora was built to run in sections on standard German track, the gauge will be standard. For modeling purposes,metal rail from "G" gauge trains will be a useable size.
The rails in my kit were metal. If yours are, you could bend them into a slight curve. The ties will keep them in gauge.
42rocker
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 - 03:34 PM UTC
Carl
Thanks for that info. I went looking at a few sites for rail and here is one of the better ones (my thoughts)

http://www.svrronline.com/TrackandRail.html

I have set track before. So we shall see. Hopefully Carl you will be right and the track can be bent into that gentle curve that they show on u-tube. Thinking about trying to long range goal of doing a setup like you see on u-tube. Looked at a few flak guns that I think that they might have setup on the hill sides. I'm hoping that the 1/35 Dora will show up tomorrow, ups hands, hope they are gentle. Will let everyone know what kind of shape it gets here in.

So what kind of defense do you like that they would have had around Dora?? Armour and anti air craft?? I know lots. Lots more when Hitler was there I'll bet... What extra things do you think were around Dora???

Later 42rocker
42rocker
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 10:22 AM UTC
update
Well received the 1/35 Dora today... Should be very happy. Well box is damaged and lots of parts bags look like they have been smacked around a lot. Hold a bag up and what parts that have been broken off the spruce trees gather at the bottom. Noticed so far that several of the side rails are broken. Bought it off e-bay and have talked with one of the sellers employees twice. First time comment was send it back and we will refund your money. Did not state as to who pays the shipping charges. Then I would need to buy another one. 2nd time I talked and asked who pays return shipping and also stated that several of the parts were broken. Well they are now asking for pictures of the broken parts. So I'll take more photos and email them to them. Hope that they either offer to replace the broken parts or make some type of adjustment or something. One of the good things is that I bought it off e-bay and they have a buyer protection program that protects buyers. Interesting mark on the side of the shipping box was RETURN TO SENDER DAMAGED with a Feb date on it. I'm guessing that the first buyer of this Dora returned it as damaged and then it was sold a 2nd time and shipped to me as new goods.
I'll keep the who what when where to myself at this time. If the company (seller) and I can't work something out then I'll let everyone know which hobby shop that I bought it from.
Hope that the 1/72 Dora gets here without an problems.

Enjoy your builds and may all your models get to you safe.
What was to be a happy day is now somewhat down due to the upcoming fight that I see happening. Yes the 1/35 Dora is big. Also has aluminum rails and some metal grill work.

Question How hard is with the Dora "plastic" to glue the rails and brake parts back together??

Later 42rocker
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 - 11:26 AM UTC
Sorry to hear about your problem. A real buzz killer.

You can use Plastruct Plastic Weld, which is excellent for bonding ABS. Gap-filling CA, with a dash of accelerator, will do the job, too. If you use the PW (aka trichloromethane/ether), you won't have much difficulty in sanding the repair seams smooth. After an ititial sanding, brush a light coat of PW over the repaired area. This will leave a glossy coat. Sand that with extra fine piece of abrasive paper/sanding stick; then, use a nail buffing stick (the one that looks like it's made of rubber) and you're squared away.
 _GOTOTOP