Hosted by Darren Baker
1/35 huey
coltm4
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 12:12 AM UTC
is it possible to obtain a 1/35th huey 'slick', like in the vietnam war??? i have seen 1/35 gunships, though i dont think they were 'Nam era.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
Armorama: 727 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 12:17 AM UTC
It wouldn't be hard to convert one I assume.

~Chip :-)
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 02:08 AM UTC
Panda makes the slick in 1/35 scale
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 02:16 AM UTC
What about something like this?

http://squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=PS35006
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 02:57 AM UTC
The Panda one is the 2 engine navy bird. Unless they also build a Army slick? It has been reviewed in Military Modelling magazine.
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 03:07 AM UTC
The "H" model has a single engine. Panda also makes two single engine models.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 02:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

is it possible to obtain a 1/35th huey 'slick', like in the vietnam war??? i have seen 1/35 gunships, though i dont think they were 'Nam era.

Howdy coltm4,

First, allow me to welcome you to the site! Glad to have you join our motley crew.

As to your question, as the others have already pointed out, Panda Models manufactures a suitable 1/35th scale Huey. Yes, it can be configured as a 'slick', and yes, it does have one engine nacelle. It's the UH-1D model and comes with 4 crew members (pilot, co-pilot, crew chief/gunner, & door gunner). AND, you'll be pleased to know (being from Australia and all), that it also comes with decals for both the U.S. Army 1st Cavalry, and the Royal Australian Air Force. The mouldings are decent and it looks to be a pretty decent build-up. There are some inaccuracies, but nothing to really lose any sleep over.
HTH.

Tread out.

BTW, just FYI, Panda Models is a division (I believe, of Dragon).
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 09:26 PM UTC
Revell Monogram had an old (late 60's---early 70's!!!) 1/32 Huey out---the last I saw in markings for the West German GrunSchutz. I can't remember if it was a D or an H model. They also had a AH-1G Cobra and a Hughes OH-6A Loach, all originally in markings for 1st Air Cav. They were the correct basic shape to start with, but it would take a lot of work to bring them up to today's standards
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 01:56 AM UTC
dont forget that seminar plastic model co do a huey 1c model which you could build up to be a slick as well
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 01:40 PM UTC
MRC also does a 1/35 th Huey. It's a Hog, but can be converted.

Tread.
coltm4
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 164 posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2003 - 04:28 PM UTC
Thanks for all of your help guys, I'll keep a look out for the kits mentioned.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 05:16 PM UTC
Just on Friday i received by mail my Academy 1/35 UH-1C "Frog" , and with it i will join the heli campaign. Its a great model (as shows from i n the box, and from what i have read and hear) and also Academy makes 2-3 hueys, so maybe you could also look there if you like .
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 03:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

................... and with it i will join the heli campaign.

Is the Helo Campaign on???

Tread.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 08:43 AM UTC
just finished my first panda heuy.for a chinese made model i was very empressed.there are some mistakes in the instructions ,but very few.i have built many heuys and i can't recommed panda more.the fit for everything is great.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 02:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It wouldn't be hard to convert one I assume.

yup! just minus the guns and you no longer have a gunship!! ahhh the world of simplicity
commandosolo
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 59 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 04:51 AM UTC
What you need is the Panda models UH-1D slick.
i would advise you to buy the "WASP" varient as it comes with some crew members i believe.

heres the link:

http://www.pandamodels.com/html/our_products.html

it is model number: 35006.

that should sort you out.

Commandosolo.

Merry Christmas. (:-) (:-)
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 05:40 AM UTC
Not to be rude, but, this post is over a year old. I think coltm4 has already bought/built his Huey by now. No need to keep rehashing out of date posts.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 05:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hueys were converted to antipersonnel gunships during Vietnam. Weapons systems included a nose mounted automatic grenade launcher, 2.75 rockets in tubes as well as box like arrangements over the skids, twin M-60's on side mounts, and possibly miniguns in side mounts. Other configurations included miniguns on pintles in the doors, M-60's on bungee cords at the doors, and a nightsun spotlight on a door mount. Some of these were home brewed by the crews while others were official mod kits.
Here's a link to a good site featuring Viet era Hueys.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 06:12 AM UTC
Would the Frog be appropriate for an attack chopper like one on Apocolypse Now?
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,236 posts
Armorama: 700 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 06:37 AM UTC
these are 3 of the hues panda makes

hoop this helps
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 517 posts
Armorama: 290 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 10:52 AM UTC
To put an end to this identity crisis...

This is a UH-1B - note the short body compartment; this was primarily (though not exclusively) used as a gunship in Vietnam

This is a UH-1D - not the enlarged troop/cargo compartment with door 'pockets'; this was used as a cargo/troop transport (Slick) in Vietnam, although armed versions were also in service.

The Academy and MRC models of the UH-1B/C gunships - which is the 'better' kit?
I remember an FSM review which rated the MRC one higher (I think...), but would appreciate confirmation

acav out
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 01:58 PM UTC
Since this long dead post has been resurected....

Quoted Text

Would the Frog be appropriate for an attack chopper like one on Apocolypse Now?

Yes, UH-1C Huey Frog from MRC/Academy is the type used in Vietnam and seen in Apocalypse Now.

Quoted Text

The Academy and MRC models of the UH-1B/C gunships - which is the 'better' kit?

Academy and MRC models are the same model, no diference, even the boxes are the same. Academy and MRC merged to market the models, or something like that, but same plastic. They are great kits too.

As far as the Panda models go, I personally prefer the 1/32 Revell UH-1D offering. It is more finely detailed and looks better than the Panda model. The Panda is an upscale of the Italeri 1/48 scale model. The result is oversized rivets and parts for the interior. The post for the rear troop seat would be about 6 inches in diameter if the size was correct on the kit part. Furthermore, the instrument panel is nonexistent with a flat plate and a really weak decal, really bad. It is pretty bad when you have to buy the Cobra Company upgrade set for the same price as the kit to get it looking good, or do a lot of scratchbuilding. I am actually using cast parts from the Revell kit to make the Panda passable. The Revell kit may be over 30 years old, but is still better in detail and scale size than the Panda offering. But, if you have to have one in 1/35 scale, Panda is the only one out there. For me, 1/35 and 1/32 are close enough.

Also, the Panda UH-1D "Wasp" does not come with the parts to make it a true slick, as shown on the box. It does not come with the M-60D Doorguns as shown in the boxtop photos. It builds into an unarmed UH-1D only. The figures that come with it are the DML Vietnam Helo crew, great figures, but they only come with one doorgun mount in the set, you need two sets for doorguns on both sides. The other door gunner is from the OH-6A kit with a bungee cord type mount for the M-60 as seen below.

The Panda USAF (I thinK) UH-1N Gunship (wierd camo pattern) does include two of the M-60D doorgun mounts and rocket tubes, but no figures.
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 04:23 PM UTC
However the UH-1N never served in Vietnam.

It serves currently with the US Navy and US Army, as well as the Canadian Armed Forces as the Griffon, which is actually built off of the Bell 416, which is essentially the same AC.

The twin engine Huey, or Twin Huey, that saw service in Vietnam (I think) towards the end of the war was the H model Huey.

I beileve the F and G models were actually Cobra gunships, since the Cobra was essentially a slimed down Huey.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 03:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

However the UH-1N never served in Vietnam.

It serves currently with the US Navy and US Army, as well as the Canadian Armed Forces as the Griffon, which is actually built off of the Bell 416, which is essentially the same AC.

The twin engine Huey, or Twin Huey, that saw service in Vietnam (I think) towards the end of the war was the H model Huey.

I beileve the F and G models were actually Cobra gunships, since the Cobra was essentially a slimed down Huey.

A few corrections to the above.
UH-1D/H model:
The D model was the most common in the middle war years, 65-68ish. It looks the same as the H model externally. The H model is a standard, extended fusalage, single engine UH-1 that has an upgraded engine and a few other parts. It was the most common seen in Vietnam.

UH-1D

UH-1H

UH-1N Twin Huey:
Late in the war, after 1970, the USAF began receiving the UH-1N Twin Huey, as seen in the Panda Kit. The UH-1N is the same as the civilian Bell 212, the 412 has a 4-blade main rotor system. The UH-1N is still in US service with the USMC only. US Army never bought the N model, and the Navy and USAF has retired them all (or given them to USMC) and repaced them with UH-60 varients. Canada still uses them as well, as the above mentioned Griffon.

UH-1N Twin Huey.

Canadian CH-146 Griffon (Latest version w/Bell 412 4-blade rotor system)

AH-1G Huey Cobra
The F and G model are not UH-1's, but AH-1G/F Huey Cobras. They share the same basic powerplant and components with the UH-1 family, but have a totally different fuselage, much narrower, and were/are purpose-built as Gunships. They are not slimmed down Hueys. The G model was the original Vietnam era bird. The F was actually the last prodution version in the late 1980s, with flat plate canopy and upgraded systems. Below is the liniage of the AH-1 Cobra in US Army service.

AH-1 Differences
Type AH-1G AH-1Q AH-1S AH-1P AH-1E AH-1F
YEAR 67-73 75-76 76-79 77-78 78-79 79-89

AH-1G

AH-1F

The Huey Cobra is still in US service with the USMC only as well. The latest model is the AH-1W, with twin engines and is currently in service in Iraq along with the UH-1N.

USMC AH-1W

The USMC is continuing the UH-1 and AH-1 series with the UH-1Y, based on the Bell 412, and the AH-1Z, with the same 4-blade system from the 412 as well. Both will have the latest in avionics and all the bells and whistles as well. They are expected to be fielded within the next couple of years.

USMC UH-1Y

USMC AH-1Z

Hope that cleasr up the muddied waters.
 _GOTOTOP