_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Allied recognition flags/panels
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 06:11 AM UTC
Hi all

im build the italeri staghound mk.1. i doing the polish version in italy 1944. i want to put a recognition flag/panel
on the back over the stowage. what would be the correct type?
single color, polish red & white, white star on green, british type, or other? Thanks for any replies.

Gary
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 02:48 AM UTC
Hi all,

ok, im just gona guess. im chooseing to put a red and white polish flag. probably not historicly accurate but i think it will look cool on the back.

Is that reasonable? or would i be scolded by the judges at a model show?

Gary
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 03:21 AM UTC
I would think that as an adornment, a red/white flag would be OK. As a tactical symbol, I think red/white could be confused for an enemy. The Allies (of which there were many in Italy) needed standardization to avoid friendly fire incidents. Allied units used white, cerise (a racing red/fluorescent pink color), Yellow and electric blue (mostly behind the lines). This was standard issue for all vehicles (incl the Staghound) in use by all Allied countries.

It's your call but I think any crew putting up non-standard panels would be seen as a Trojan Horse and targeted by Allied elements. Hope this helps
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 05:26 AM UTC
As Roy says, the standard panels were cerise, yellow, or blue. And I'm betting they were changed over on a regular basis, just like passwords, to keep the enemy from using them too.

The standard German flag of the day was a big red background with white circle and swastika. From the air I think a red/white Polish flag would look too much like one, and by the time the pilot got close enough to spot the difference it'd be too late.

Don't forget the big white star and circle on the turret roof and/or engine deck!

Tom
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 04:43 PM UTC
Roy - Tom. thanks gentlemen! thats just what i needed to know. i guess i could see a P-47 seeing a spot of red and white on a vehicle and thinking, "Oh Boy, this is gona be a turkey shoot", and then that would be dumb luck on the nucklehead who decided,"red and white will be just the ticket". guess id be that nucklehead!!!

Thanks again guys! think im going yellow.

Gary
 _GOTOTOP