_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Melting snow/water
morso484
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 09:35 AM UTC
If this has been asked before, please bear with me. I am interested in producing the effect of snow on top of vehicles as it begins to melt. This appears to be a pile of snow with a wet looking base or puddle that then dribbles down the sides. I think I can replicate the snow with no problems, but I need a "wet" base under the snow that would then run down the vehicle.
Thanks
Mike
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 10:05 AM UTC
Never done this before but thinking aloud. Couldn't you start with creating the wet base with clear lacquer also making the streams running down the vehicle and on top of the lacquer puddles you can add the snow.
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 597 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 10:16 AM UTC
I haven't tried this, but thinking aloud here, couldn't you use some gel medium (Vallejo, etc) to replicate the melted snow "puddles" and then build up from the bottom? I'd go outside and shoot a couple of pictures for you as our pitiful amount of snow is just about completely melted away now.

morso484
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 05:09 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies. This is what I was thinking, the water effect first, then a small build up of snow on top. I needed to know what to use as the water base, I'm not familar with what to use. I would also be interested to know what others use for snow as well. As far as photos, I live in northern Illinois, so I see snow, not much this year though, which I like, it was actually close to 60 degrees yesterday. Almost makes me want to stay here.
Mike
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 06:40 AM UTC
Ola Mike

Well I have used a number of media for snow through the years. You can use talcum powder although that attracts Dust and becomes grey over time. Dental plaster, Wet the base and sprinkle it on. Do this in several layers. Glasspearls used in sandblasting (use a mask when doing this) it gives a nice sparkly fresh snow and looks awesome when mixed with the dental plaster method. I know a lot of US based people use sweet n low sweetener but I can't get it here and I'm afraid it will attract bugs and other wise turns yellow due to moist.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2012 - 07:42 AM UTC
I've used baking soda, white glue, and water. This works better for fresh snow. Woodland Scenics has a large container of 'snow' which looks good for older and melting snow, which is probably the effect you're looking for.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2012 - 08:11 AM UTC
For the wetness, you can use future floor polish. Just paint it on in streaks.
 _GOTOTOP