_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Tamiya 1/48 Schwimmwagen First Build
SirMinami
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 10:30 AM UTC
Here are some shots of my first scale model. I may have gone a bit overboard on the weathering but this is a test bed for future projects. I'm still waiting for some materials to arrive to do the tires.

Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 11:01 AM UTC
Really well done! Congrats indeed
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 11:15 AM UTC
Surely not your first?
Your weathering is spot on, no complaints there whatsoever.
Very nice work!
will you be sticking with 1/48 or moving onto bigger scales.
Its nice to see more builds in my comfort scale!
SirMinami
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 11:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Surely not your first?
Your weathering is spot on, no complaints there whatsoever.
Very nice work!
will you be sticking with 1/48 or moving onto bigger scales.
Its nice to see more builds in my comfort scale!

Thanks James! I'm coming from 15mm wargaming (Flames of War) so I do have some modelling experience. I expect to do both 1/48 and 1/35 models.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 01:37 PM UTC
Very nice work, would you mind sharing some of your Flames of War pieces with us to get a feel of what you've done before this? That's a big scale shift to go from those miniatures to 1/48.
SirMinami
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 01:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice work, would you mind sharing some of your Flames of War pieces with us to get a feel of what you've done before this? That's a big scale shift to go from those miniatures to 1/48.

Sure! I have a blog dedicated to some of my work if you don't mind. http://sirminami.blogspot.com/
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 03:20 PM UTC
Very nice, and thanks for sharing! A quick thought, and I know they're quite small so it's up to you, but if you sand the edges of the skirts thing on your FoW Panzers and taper the edges into the thicker body they will look a lot better. It's about the only thing that detracts from those tanks.

I noticed that the miniatures weren't really weathered, and I was wondering if the 1/48 Schwimmwagen was your first real weathering project? I was also wondering if it was your first time applying the chipping method?
SirMinami
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 04:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice, and thanks for sharing! A quick thought, and I know they're quite small so it's up to you, but if you sand the edges of the skirts thing on your FoW Panzers and taper the edges into the thicker body they will look a lot better. It's about the only thing that detracts from those tanks.

I noticed that the miniatures weren't really weathered, and I was wondering if the 1/48 Schwimmwagen was your first real weathering project? I was also wondering if it was your first time applying the chipping method?

Jeremy,
This Schwimmwagen was indeed my first attempt at any serious weathering including chipping. Thanks for the advice on the minis.
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 06:00 PM UTC
Great chipping done there as well as some faded brown marks I see here and there.

Now it's my duty to recruit you to the 1/48th scale campaign starting March 1st and ending 6 months after that. Here is the Armorama link for details and to join.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Campaigns&file=index&req=showcontent&id=577
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2012 - 06:17 PM UTC
That's very impressive Jeff, I can't replicate proper chipping to save my life. And looks like you've caught the attention of our local 1/48 guru Greg, hope to see more of your work in his campaign
 _GOTOTOP