_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Trumpeter BTR-60PB Build
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 06:20 AM UTC

Here is my newest project I have started. I have to say this kit is light years ahead of the old crappy Dragon version. This is on awsome kit and can not wait the BTR-70/80 to be released. I have not run into any fit issues yet other than alot of small fiddly parts to work with. I would recomend leaving of the drive line parts A17 and A18 until you are ready to attach the a-arms to the hull. I broke one them while trying to attach parts D17 A19/21 to the hull. The front wheels can be turned left or right with modifing the drive lines. The stearing leankage is made from multiple parts and can adjust for the turned wheels.

Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 06:56 AM UTC
So, welcome back Christofer!
I'm sure you'll do an impressive job on this kit

Have you already decided the final camo scheme of it?

I'll follow this thread for sure

Cheers
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 10:00 AM UTC
Well I was planning on doing something from the Iran-Iraq war. I want to do an Iraqi vehicle but most of everything I have come across is Iranian. I have a great idea for a diorama that I'm working out. Or I could do an Iranian or lebanese version as a second idea.

Cheers

Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 10:45 AM UTC
That's a great choice

Almost none modeller's jobs depict vehicles used during that war
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 11:28 AM UTC
It was a very ugly war, politically and military for both sides and not to mention some nato countries that got their hands dirty during the war. I choose it mostly because of the wide verity of equipment and vehicles used. I came across a pretty cool picture if an Iranian M4 Sherman and thought of the idea of the crew inspecting the abandon BTR.
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 523 posts
Armorama: 400 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 11:47 AM UTC
Hi

Considering this is first 1/35 PLASTIC kit, I'd say it is better than DML/Dragons .. they never did one ;-)

Looking fwd to this build, doing a plain Jane is good.

T
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 10:10 PM UTC
looks like you go off to a good start can't wait to see this one done
dave
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 11:17 PM UTC
Hey Chris, this is a fantastic kit, I have mine and I built the 60P prior to this- it was one of the best builds I've ever completed, virtually no problems. The PB takes it to another level though with a new interior and the turret. Looking forward to seeing what you make of it.

I'm glad to see you are thinking about an Iran-Iraq war vehicle. I'm gathering a few things together to do an Iraqi BTR-50PK at the moment and I've been reading up on the war. I would direct you to www.sajed.ir for some interesting pictures but I haven't been able to access their gallery lately for some reason- see if you have any luck- just click on the picture you see at the top left of the page and it should take you there...or not if it ain't working!

From what I've read of the war the Iranian's ended up using a lot of abandoned Iraqi equipment like the 60PB so I would say you have a good few 'scenarios' to consider. Good luck with the build mate.
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 04:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would direct you to www.sajed.ir for some interesting pictures but I haven't been able to access their gallery lately for some reason- see if you have any luck- just click on the picture you see at the top left of the page and it should take you there...or not if it ain't working!

I went through the different albums at sajed.ir a couple of years ago (most of it anyway) so I can offer to email the BTR-60 pictures I found and saved.
Just PM your email adress...

BTW: Karl, thx for reminding me of that site. Found a few more for the archive!

Christopher:
I'm I correct that the wheels in the kit are different from those on the box art (wheel = rim)?

Cheers,
/E
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 05:38 AM UTC
I tried to build Zvezda's BTR-80 some time ago. The kit is a real dog. I too am awaiting Trumpy's BTR-80. I'll be following this one.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 10:23 AM UTC
Thanks everyone for following so far and commenting.

Karl thanks for the website, but I can’t read any of the writing on it. I tried the English translate button, but it just goes to a blank page.

More updates.

Lower hull is complete with all the running gear, steering linkage and towing pintle on the rear hull added. I’ve added a small twist to the build by taking 3 of the 8 tires and flatten them. The idea here is either the tires suffered some battle damage or the CTI system failed to keep the tires inflated. Mean while the crew was trying to change the tires but had to beat feet in fear of being over run. For here I moved my attention to the interior which is going to have to be built in many sub assemblies to easy painting. One thing trumpeter failed was to provide a better painting guide. Only 2 colors are called out, white and green in reality there are plenty more colors than just those 2. I’ve started to add electrical wire and conduits to the right hand side of the model using brass wire and plastic rods. I plan to add a basic engine to the model since there are so many open hatches in the kit. I will be adding just 1 of the 2 engines since you will only be able to see the one side. More to follow.

Cheers

dvarettoni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2012 - 12:37 PM UTC
nice love the idea can't wait to see it done
dave
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 03:51 AM UTC
Chris- some fantastic work there, especially the tires- I very much like the scenario you described. Nice work on the wiring aswell.

As for that website- it is tricky to use. Here's what I do:

This is the translated Gallery Page:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fa&u=http://gallery.sajed.ir/&ei=slRKT-3_H6q50QW27MCbDg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CCEQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://gallery.sajed.ir/%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D675%26prmd%3Dimvns

The main Iraqi military images are at the bottom of the page under 'Occupiers'.

When you go to view the pictures large you get a 'sorry the page you requestted...'blah blah. When you get to that page just highlight the link in the middle and right click 'open' and it should work. Time consuming yes but there are some interested pics there.

I also found an old ITN documentary on youtube in four parts:

Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Part Four

The commentary isn't very good but the footage is excellent.

Hope some of this is useful and/or interested. Good luck with the build Chris.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 04:35 AM UTC
Thanks Karl, it works now. Great pictures
Hoping to start some painting today maybe.

Cheers
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 04:54 AM UTC
No probs Chris. What paint scheme are you going for?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 07:35 AM UTC
Is the engine part of the base kit? I'm a sucker for kits that come with interiors.
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 08:32 AM UTC
Someday, I hope one of the military history publishers does an illustrated book, or books, on the ten year Iran-Iraq war - uniforms and insignia, and military vehicles, for modelers interested in this important conflict.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 09:35 AM UTC
Matt the kit does not come with an engine. I took the engine that comes with trumpeter's zil-157. I know this is not the correct engine to use, but I just want something to fill the void. The correct engine to use is the one that comes in the BTR-40 kit.

Osprey publisging has a book on the Iran Iraq war from 1980-88. Not sure how good the book is since I mostly use internet reference for most of my builds.

Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 12:27 AM UTC
I've read the Osprey book- its very good- some decent photos and it gives a competent narrative of the war, the reasons for it and the aftermath. Its not extensive- more a great overview than a thorough examination of each stage of the war.

There is a decent bibliography at the back but many of the titles are old and second hand copies is about all I can find.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 01:39 PM UTC
I have begun painting the interior the other day and I have to say there is a wide range of painting option here. Interior paint can vary from green floor boards white upper and lower hull to an all grey interior. There is even one with green floor boards, lower hull and white upper hull. The most colorful one happen to be an east German version with some interior parts in light blue. I choose to go with green floor boards and white hull with a few parts picked in blue. For the green I used Vallejo model air Russian green followed by light misting of the base color mixed with interior yellow and stencil. For the while I used Vallejo stencil since I find the pure white looks to clean and unnatural. I still need to go back and finish the rest of the weathering and chipping along with the upper hull. I added some 20mm spent casings to the floor board from voyager. I know they are over scaled but I had no .50cal shells I could use since these are more closer to 14.5mm casings. One thing I like to do to age seats is to add household aluminum foil to make the covers and allow me to make cuts and rips in the material. I’ve also scratch built new intake vents on the engine deck along with opened up one of the vents for the radiator for light into the bay.

BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 03:49 PM UTC
Hey christopher,

Nice build! as im doing this T-62 of mine im finding myself more and more fascinated with post WWII soviet/russian AFV's and im really looking forward to your build here. i have subscribed and will be takeing notes.

Gary
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 04:09 PM UTC
Thanks Gary, I just love soviet armour for the simple fact there are some many option out there for them. Seems like their equipment has made it's way into just about every little corner in the world. Even our neighbors to the south use the BTR. I thought about maybe doing a Mexican Marine version one day.

Cheers
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 11:28 PM UTC
Looking good Chris- the interior looks real nice and I think the technique you are using on the seats is first class, very effective.
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 04:21 AM UTC
wow looking great keep it up
dave
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 01:51 PM UTC
Well the build is going slower than I had hoped it would. Since my wife started her new job, I have less time for my builds now. But everything is coming together slowly but surely. So far I have the lower hull interior painted and weathered. I still need to add some dust and dirt to the floor boards and add some crew gear. I’ve also began to paint the engine compartments and very long I should be able to button everything up and work on the exterior.

Here is a preview of some of the figures I will be using in the diorama I’m planning I tend to build vehicles and figures first then design the dio around them. For the figures I used various parts from the spare bin, academy dragon icm, master box, master club, tamiya warriors, ultra cast, and verlinden.

_GOTOTOP