_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
New aftermarket sets for Zvezda's T-90
talib
Visit this Community
Moscow City, Russia
KitMaker: 179 posts
Armorama: 177 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 09:57 PM UTC
Miniarm is preparing new correction sets for T-90 from Zvezda

Some pics

wheels and tracks

turret

ERA

turret again

I don't know the price for it now.
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 12:13 AM UTC
I would say the cost is high and while it's a modest improvement I wonder if it's worth the price. The padded tracks look good however.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 10:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would say the cost is high and while it's a modest improvement I wonder if it's worth the price. The padded tracks look good however.

I agree
101yann
Visit this Community
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
KitMaker: 97 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 10:49 AM UTC

Great news, thanks for posting. Any clues as to the relase date ?

In terms of accuracy, Zvezda 's kit is a disaster, so
these sets will definitely be useful.
All we need now is a correct replacement hull

At least we should be grateful to Zvezda for one thing : they prompted Miniarm to revise and improve their own parts!

MINIARM
Visit this Community
Russia
KitMaker: 61 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 07:16 PM UTC
"At least we should be grateful to Zvezda for one thing : they prompted Miniarm to revise and improve their own parts!"

You have written all correctly
BINGO !
101yann
Visit this Community
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 12:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"At least we should be grateful to Zvezda for one thing : they prompted Miniarm to revise and improve their own parts!"

You have written all correctly
BINGO !

couple of questions :
- Will your update sets include the following ?

- Will you release the wheels and the tracks as seperate sets ? (I'd like to get the wheels only).

Oh and when will these sets be available ?

Thanks for your time
and keep up the good work.

101yann
Visit this Community
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 06:12 AM UTC

oh and this as well!

roycharnock
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 135 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 06:27 AM UTC
without sounding to condisending..why dont you just mod the kit you have and scratch build the parts/alterations to the hull yourself?
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 07:49 AM UTC
All these updates and they don't even address one of the most pressing needs of the kit....PE replacement mesh for the engine intakes!
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 10:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

At least we should be grateful to Zvezda for one thing : they prompted Miniarm to revise and improve their own parts!

I don't want to sound rude, and english is not my natural language so take this in account, but if you consider it such a crap, why do you bother at all to get the Zvezda kit?
If turret is not accurate for your standards, neither the wheels and nor the upper hull, you'll end buying an entire resin kit in separate parts
Get a Tamiya lower hull and buy all the aftermarket you want, and forget about the Zvezda kit, it will be cheaper in the end...
101yann
Visit this Community
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 11:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

without sounding to condisending..why dont you just mod the kit you have and scratch build the parts/alterations to the hull yourself?

That's a legitimate question and here's what I think is an equally legitimate answer : time !... or rather the lack of time. I can devote very few hours a week to building (and painting) kits only.
I started building my model about 2 months ago and to my horror I gradually found out the Zvezda kit needs tons of corrections to make it reasonably accurate. Much more work than I originally anticipated.
Now anyone can choose to build it from the box and be happy with it as it still will look impressive enough, but close examination of the real thing makes it obvious it is either way too simplified or plain wrong in most areas.
As it happens, I'm one of those sad modellers who like their models to look right and not just from a distance.
I have already done some work on both the hull and the turret (see crappy pic below) but again I'm running out of time now and therefore those Miniarm update / correction sets are most welcome as far as I'm concerned. Pretty good timing in fact.

101yann
Visit this Community
Ille-et-Vilaine, France
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 11:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I don't want to sound rude, and english is not my natural language so take this in account, but if you consider it such a crap, why do you bother at all to get the Zvezda kit?
If turret is not accurate for your standards, neither the wheels and nor the upper hull, you'll end buying an entire resin kit in separate parts
Get a Tamiya lower hull and buy all the aftermarket you want, and forget about the Zvezda kit, it will be cheaper in the end...

I don't think you're being rude and English is not my native tongue either so no problem here.
I bought the Zvezda kit because at first it looked impressive and decent enough and I had heard or read some people raving about it... First sighting and opinions can be deceptive...
It's only when I started construction and checked my refs that I realised it was quite poor in terms of accuracy, although I will concede that the tooling is much better than what I was used to with Zvezda (not that I messed with their stuff much in the past though).
Since I paid for it I thought I would have a go at it and see if I could make it look better. As I mentioned above, little did I know it would require so much work !
As for the cost, in my own experience and that of many modellers I know, we tend to buy more kits than we can actually build. Thus I have no problem investing more hard earned cash in obtaining AM sets to detail ONE model that I know I will complete, instead of buying many (plastic) kits that eventually will end up on my shelves gathering dust and that I will never build. Works out cheaper in the end actually.
UGBEAR
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 07:26 AM UTC
maybe miniarm will give us a T-72BM conversion for zvezdaT-90

nor zvezda provide us a new T-72BM kit......

OK as for cold war vehicle fans especially soviet armor, "maybe" takes years...sigh
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 08:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's a legitimate question and here's what I think is an equally legitimate answer : time !... or rather the lack of time. I can devote very few hours a week to building (and painting) kits only.

Now anyone can choose to build it from the box and be happy with it as it still will look impressive enough, but close examination of the real thing makes it obvious it is either way too simplified or plain wrong in most areas.

Quoted Text

As it happens, I'm one of those sad modellers who like their models to look right and not just from a distance.

Hmm sounds like your double talking to me...you state you have limited time, but yet you want a really accurate model that takes time to do so..even with a "perfect" kit

If that make you happy...all the more power to you.

but at the same time you don't need to slag off on a kit because it doesn't meet your self imposed standards...
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 10:14 AM UTC
We' ve already discussed here on the site about the accuracy of this kit (as well some years ago we had some arguments about the Trumpeter T-62)

Well, Yann I really respect your point of view, but I don't agree with you at all

The kit that you define a "disaster" actually is a GREAT step forward for Zvezda and for the modellers (as me) who are interested in Russian stuff.In my humble opinion you could say that it isn't perfect, you wouldn't be correct if you said that is only a pile of junk
Yes, it could have some minor flaws, but I prefere dealing with plastic-card starting from a good base rather than buying expensive resin sets and a kit which either it isn't perfect at all

My aim is not to argue with you but I really don't know why the guys who say that this kit is junk, never write a complete list with the mistakes of the model. If the mistakes are these which you've spotted in your pics, well I call them "minor flaws" that an average modeller can correct without spending a fortune buying resin sets (are we "modellers" or "assemblers"?).
I'm not referring to you, so please, don't be offended, but I really suspect that the aim of the modellers who define a model "junk" wheras the majority say that actually the kit is good, it's only to appear more tasty, skilled and refined than the other ones, and that's the reason why they have to show that they don't have the same opinion as the majority does

Just my two cents anyway

Cheers
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 11:04 AM UTC
Ok Guys
I am not a Russian armor expert but I like the design on this beast and after the outstanding review from Karl I decided to take the risk.
Questions:
Does Fruil making complete metal track?? Can I put the T-72 tracks??
What about a brass barrel??
Thanks for your answers
Cheers
Seb
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 11:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree with you we should be greatfull that there is a model of the T-90 available, hearing these rivet counters complain about how inaccurate a kit is drives me crazy
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 12:36 PM UTC
I get your point there 101Yann
Happy modelling!
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 01:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok Guys

No barrel and no track for it yet...

Why do you want to replace the track? From what I've seen its pretty nice...

chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 01:22 PM UTC
The RB barrel should work out ( thats what im using...)

As for the track... Ive seen early (cast turreted) T-90 s with the T-72 style track, but not the welded turreted ones.

I actually like the kit track - for injection molding, its nice and easy to work with once you get it laid out and fully pressed in.

Chris
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 02:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm sorry Yann, but that's just funny. You don't know what a disaster in accuracy is. Zvezda's accuracy issues are modest, at worst.

In any event Yann, it's your hobby too I suppose, but in practice I've seldom seen modelers who obsess about accuracy in a kit actually finish one, let alone to the lofty standards they expect from the kit they start with.

And if you don't have the time, perhaps you might consider commissioning the work out? I'm available, I'll do it for a thousand euros excluding material costs.
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 03:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ok Guys

No barrel and no track for it yet...

Why do you want to replace the track? From what I've seen its pretty nice...

The kit tracks are very good, but they are steel cleats. The T-90 also has a padded track.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
KitMaker: 2,315 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 05:56 PM UTC
Why I want Fruil????
For the fun maybe
So RB has a barrel??
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 06:33 PM UTC
Hi Seb
Rb has in the catalogue a T-72 barrel

Item 35B102

I don't know if it is good also for a T-90

Regarding the tracks, Sector 35 makes them

http://www.modelgeek.com/news/9708

They cost more or less like the friul ones

If you want to depict an early T-90 with T-72 tracks, maybe it would be better to use the Miniarm ones because that set includes the sprocket wheels
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 11:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Why I want Fruil????
For the fun maybe
So RB has a barrel??

I think Spade Ace do T-90 tracks aswell, there was a thread about them here a while ago. The kit tracks are quite easy to do though, pretty sturdy aswell.
 _GOTOTOP