_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Zvezda T-90 Tweaks and Changes
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 03:26 AM UTC
Nige- I definetly think you are heading in the right direction with this- it all looks ship shape right now and the build pictures will certainly help others wanting to attempt a similar modification.

One warning though (to everyone): the running gear is really fragile on this tank- you'll see how I found this out if you go and check out my latest post in the T-90 Review thread. Just be careful with it as it is easily the most fragile running gear I've come across in quite a while.
gloucesternige
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 283 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 05:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What do you think??

Nige

It looks good, but IMO I think the work done is a bit overkill. I still think that the thickness issue (pending my measurements) can be fixed by trimming the side skirts and adjusting the suspension units.

I took a look at the measurements the other day and I don't think that trimming the lower hull is necessary since the 2-3mm extra on it extends into the upper hull and visually (see my photo compared with the Tamiya T-72) its just about identical to the Tamiya T-72.

I'd like to see your end results though...

I'd like to see the results gained by doing it your way Scott.

Nige
bigmal
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 211 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 05:56 AM UTC
Along with the `Tortoise`, Meng have announced that they are to do a T90 family of vehicles.
I saw this on PMMS.

Malcolm
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 06:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Along with the `Tortoise`, Meng have announced that they are to do a T90 family of vehicles.
I saw this on PMMS.

Malcolm

Yeah I saw that too, 'Family' sounds interesting- I hope the most recent modifications are going to be included in that.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 12:40 AM UTC
I was doing some more test fitting last night, comparing the Tamiya T-72 and Zvezda T-90 kits and I'm slowing coming to the conclusion that the big issue is with the Zvezda upper hull.

I'm primary interested in making it "look" right vs making it fit drawings, since the Zvezda kit and even the Tamiya kit don't match up to the drawings I have and I'm not interested in chopping up the lower hull to fix it.

The biggest issue I've seen so far is the Zvezda kit needs help with the ZIP boxes on the hull side...they are on the tall side vs whats on the Tamiya. Going by the visual look of the kit, the Zip boxes stick up over a 1mm over the slip ring of the turret, where as the Tamiya are nearly identical to the slip ring.

I have a feeling cutting the lower hull on the Zvezda kit is going to cause more problems then not doing it, so I'm interested as to see how Nige's build comes out.

As for the aftermarket Miniarm stuff, the "corrected" hull they are offering doesn't correct the height issue from what I can tell....for around $30 bucks it looks like they just give you a updated/corrected Contact-5 array on the hull front and maybe new fuel/zip boxes for the sides from what I've seen on Hobbyeasy.com.

I really need to devote all my building time into the kit to see if I can make it look better without resulting to aftermarket or serious chopping up of the kit.

afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 12:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was doing some more test fitting last night, comparing the Tamiya T-72 and Zvezda T-90 kits and I'm slowing coming to the conclusion that the big issue is with the Zvezda upper hull.

I'm primary interested in making it "look" right vs making it fit drawings, since the Zvezda kit and even the Tamiya kit don't match up to the drawings I have and I'm not interested in chopping up the lower hull to fix it.

The biggest issue I've seen so far is the Zvezda kit needs help with the ZIP boxes on the hull side...they are on the tall side vs whats on the Tamiya. Going by the visual look of the kit, the Zip boxes stick up over a 1mm over the slip ring of the turret, where as the Tamiya are nearly identical to the slip ring.

I have a feeling cutting the lower hull on the Zvezda kit is going to cause more problems then not doing it, so I'm interested as to see how Nige's build comes out.

As for the aftermarket Miniarm stuff, the "corrected" hull they are offering doesn't correct the height issue from what I can tell....for around $30 bucks it looks like they just give you a updated/corrected Contact-5 array on the hull front and maybe new fuel/zip boxes for the sides from what I've seen on Hobbyeasy.com.

I really need to devote all my building time into the kit to see if I can make it look better without resulting to aftermarket or serious chopping up of the kit.

I definitely agree that the zip boxes and fuel cells are way too high. If one looks at the real vehicle, the top of the fuel cells should be in line with the top edge of the front glacis armour. On the Zvezda kit the fuel cells sit noticeably too high.

I still maintain that the cheapest way to may a decent T-90, is to combine the Zvezda and Tamiya kits. Zvezda kit is about £20 while the Tamiya T72 can be had on ebay for similar amounts. Incorporate the add-on armour on the Tamiya glacis with putty to create the beefed up front armour then just add the T-90 specific parts. Tamiya's kit still have some issues with the engine deck intake alignment, but I can live with that more than I can the poorly detailed and inaccurate Zvezda engine deck area.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 12:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I still maintain that the cheapest way to may a decent T-90, is to combine the Zvezda and Tamiya kits. Zvezda kit is about £20 while the Tamiya T72 can be had on ebay for similar amounts. Incorporate the add-on armour on the Tamiya glacis with putty to create the beefed up front armour then just add the T-90 specific parts. Tamiya's kit still have some issues with the engine deck intake alignment, but I can live with that more than I can the poorly detailed and inaccurate Zvezda engine deck area.

Rob,

The problem is that the Tamiya and Zvezda hulls aren't compatible...the hull on the tamiya kit is hair shorter then the Zvezda upper hull and the widths are slightly different...

afv_rob
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 11:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Rob,

The problem is that the Tamiya and Zvezda hulls aren't compatible...the hull on the tamiya kit is hair shorter then the Zvezda upper hull and the widths are slightly different...

Scott-I mean just ditch the Zvezda hull altogether, and stick just the Zvezda turret on the Tamiya hull. Then add all the T-90 specific parts to Tamiya's hull (the K-5 ERA, radiation cladding etc). I know Tamiyas front glacis has the 16mm armour moulded on it, but if one adds a ton of putty around it, the armour can be incorporated into a more beefed up front glacis as seen on the T-90.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 12:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Scott-I mean just ditch the Zvezda hull altogether, and stick just the Zvezda turret on the Tamiya hull. Then add all the T-90 specific parts to Tamiya's hull (the K-5 ERA, radiation cladding etc). I know Tamiyas front glacis has the 16mm armour moulded on it, but if one adds a ton of putty around it, the armour can be incorporated into a more beefed up front glacis as seen on the T-90.

That might not work....the upper hull glacis armor plates aren't exactly the same size either. Another thing to consider is the ERA plates on the hull size might be too big for the Tamiya side skirts also...I'll check.

gloucesternige
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 05:37 AM UTC
Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly are ZIP boxes?

I should have some pics up later of the corrected hull lower section, with modified front and rear panels?

I agree with all the comments on here around the upper hull. There are definitly some issues with the grilles.

Regards

Nige
Removed by original poster on 03/22/12 - 18:02:05 (GMT).
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 06:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nige- I definetly think you are heading in the right direction with this- it all looks ship shape right now and the build pictures will certainly help others wanting to attempt a similar modification.

One warning though (to everyone): the running gear is really fragile on this tank- you'll see how I found this out if you go and check out my latest post in the T-90 Review thread. Just be careful with it as it is easily the most fragile running gear I've come across in quite a while.

That's an easy fix: just drill the holes and add a half round to the torsion arm.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 06:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nige

They are the storage containers mounted on the fender on the right side (looking front on). I believe ZIP is a Russian abbreviation for the contents of the containers (maintenance equipment etc)
gloucesternige
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 08:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Nige

They are the storage containers mounted on the fender on the right side (looking front on). I believe ZIP is a Russian abbreviation for the contents of the containers (maintenance equipment etc)

Thanks Rob, I learn't something today!!!

Nige
Removed by original poster on 03/22/12 - 20:18:59 (GMT).
afv_rob
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 08:20 AM UTC
Sorry that should have read 'acronym' instead of 'abbreviation'.
gloucesternige
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 08:29 AM UTC
Hi all,

There's no denying, these mods have vastly improved the look of the kit...well worth the effort in my opinion...

Here's the mods I've done to the front bulkhead. The point where it meets the flat floor has been moved forward, as it's too far back on the kit. Note the additional work around the front idler support.

Finally, the rear. I've made the bulges for the drives more pronounced, lowered the floor under the gearbox and filled the gaps caused by shortening the sides.

I realise many think all this work is unneccesary, but I enjoy nothing more than carving up a kit!! I think if you tried to gain the same effect by just lowering the suspension, the belly will be very close to the ground.

thanks for looking in

Nige

afv_rob
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 08:32 AM UTC
Excellent work Nigel. I think you have vastly improved the sit of the hull and i'm incredibly impressed by your clean modification work with the plasti card. Regardless of what people think, I personally find immense enjoyment in creating something that is as accurate as possible, no matter how hard this can sometimes be.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 08:36 AM UTC
Right, i'm going to get the ball rolling on a number of fairly simple modifications which can be done to the Zvezda kit to improve some areas of accuracy. I'm working on the T-90 right now and decided to build it basically out of the box and just modify and improve what I can using only the kit parts.

So to begin with the shape of the middle fuel cell is incorrect on the Zvezda kit. Heres what it should look like:

And heres how Zvezda modelled it (notice the incorrect profile of the inner edge:

No problem! This can easily be remedied by a bit of sanding. Thankfully the fuel cells are moulded quite thick so I was able to grind away quite a bit of plastic before it got too thin. The correct profile is pretty easy to follow. Just use a very rough sanding stick and sharp modelling knife. Once ground away smooth with finer sanding sticks:

lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 10:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm with Scott on this one, and furthermore comparisons to this kit with the Tamiya one may also be a mistake, in fact comparing a T-90 with a T-72 is problematic as despite the superficial similarities they are not the same vehicle.
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 10:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

There's no denying, these mods have vastly improved the look of the kit...well worth the effort in my opinion...

Here's the mods I've done to the front bulkhead. The point where it meets the flat floor has been moved forward, as it's too far back on the kit. Note the additional work around the front idler support.

Finally, the rear. I've made the bulges for the drives more pronounced, lowered the floor under the gearbox and filled the gaps caused by shortening the sides.

I realise many think all this work is unneccesary, but I enjoy nothing more than carving up a kit!! I think if you tried to gain the same effect by just lowering the suspension, the belly will be very close to the ground.

thanks for looking in

Nige

Maybe, but we're only talking 3mm, that's 4 inches in scale. Even lowering the suspension 2mm will help, and shortening the skirts. These things sit low when loaded anyway, especially after a period of time.

I like what you've done though. I had considered it, but I already have the hull together, it's too much inconvenience to pull it apart. Perhaps on the next one.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 11:25 AM UTC
Great Job Nige!

I think you've find the right way!

I'd really like to contribute in a better way but unfortunately I don't have enough time these days to find an alternative . Anyway I think I'll follow your tips when I tackle my T-90

Thanks indeed
Karl187
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 11:13 PM UTC
Nige- that is some fantastic work you've completed there, very brave to cut the kit in so many places but you've managed to bring it all together very cleanly.

Also Rob, glad to see that part of the cell is nice and thick so it won't need too much extra work beyond sanding.

I am just wondering when one of the AM companies will come out with an etch set...they have been pretty quick about some vehicles, they appear to be taking their time with this one. I'm very interested to see what they will improve. I'd like them to do the smoke launchers for one and perhaps new turret stowage boxes with posable lids and new clasps.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 10:25 AM UTC
Any updates?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 07:16 PM UTC
Word of caution passed onto me by Salisbury Model Centre (Thank you Declan) is that part F103 is missing from a batch of this kit, the part I am told is an MG mount. The importers in the UK are aware of this issue as is Zvezda and a large number of spares of this part have been sent to them to meet the needs of any purchasers, so if you are one of those modellors who places things in a stash check your kit as it may be harder to get hold of the part in the future.
 _GOTOTOP