_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman Crab conversion sets?
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 01:52 PM UTC
Hi All,

I was hoping to get a little understanding of the pros/cons of the available resin 1/35 conversion sets to make a Sherman Crab.

I have only been able to find 2, one by Verlinden and one by Resicast. Would appreciate your opinions on these if you know.

Thanks,

John
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 02:53 PM UTC
There is also one available by Legend Productions

Personally, all things being equal, if its available from Resicast I always buy from Resicast. Better casting quality and master quality than both the others usually, and outstanding after sales customer service

Just my 2p

Chris
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 03:10 PM UTC
I've actually had all three!

I no longer own the Resicast or Legends one however.

My thoughts:
1) Legends looks well done but they offered the earlier chain and ball flails-- much more rare
2) The Resicast kit I had was a full resin Sherman V plus the Crab. I'm sure the sole Crab conversion just uses those pertinent parts. The Flails were the more common "bicycle chain" ones and done in resin. I think it would have been a pretty good build
3) I was sent the VP one for review and still own it. I think their flails look the best of the three sets. Some of their PE parts, while accurate, could have been engineered better for the builder. Overall, I'll get to this set this upcoming year. I think it'll do fine.

Basically, I think you're OK with any of the three. I don't think I could categorically say A > B > C at this point.
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 05:39 PM UTC
I'm building the Legend conversion for a dio i'm building and this might have been a one off but the one i have is not a good one .. in the Crossing the gap dio you can clearly see what i have had to replace dew to the parts being so badly warped they were unusable and like normal the plans from Legend are almost as clear as mud
But don't let any off this worry ya its not bad once its done .

Phill
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 04:15 AM UTC
Phil, Roy and Chris,

Thanks for your perspectives. Appreciate the feedback.

Honestly, not sure which I will get, but it looks like any of them would do the job, just depending on what 'style' you desire.

Thanks again,

John
 _GOTOTOP