_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Large Scale
Dioramas with large scale (1/16 plus) subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Chaos Rules ! (1/16 dio) - part 2
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 09:36 AM UTC
The wall was finished last night. It holds two graffiti "pieces" and lots of tagging. To get some 3D, I added a rusty sewer pipe to the wall. It looks just GREAT (if I can say so about my own dio). For the first time ever, I'm very happy with the result. It looks exactly like I wish it would look. Everything I did till now worked smoothly. So I suspect that when all will be just about finished, the cleaning lady will drop it or something. This works just TOO well.

The wall is done, and now I started painting the concrete floor. Just finished that.
First I primed it, then it got a black coating. Next it was painted grey in several translucent layers of greys/khakis/tans. When all was done, I liberally added a splash of white spirit with a hint of browns and blacks in that. That nicely crept into all the tiny holes and cracks.

I already added a borderstone along the rim of the concrete floor, and added dirt and some grass to that. The grass is made from ... (??? what's the English name for this ???)

What's left now ?

- placing the wall on the dio base in such way it can't break off. (I"m still thinking how to technically do this. I think the solution will involve a steel and some PU resin.

- fill in a 5 cm border with dirt and plants between the wall and the cornerstone. I'll use plaster for that.

It's the first time I make a 1/16 diorama, and it's FUN !!!
I'll try to make pics tomorrow, so you can follow up on this.

Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 09:51 AM UTC
sorry cant tell what they are in the picture, it looks like the rusks from a horse chestnut tree (conker tree) to me!
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 09:57 AM UTC
Chestnuts is the word I was looking for. But this is the edible kind, with very spiky hairs on it. I never heard the word "rusk" before. What a wonderful word ! You made my day with this, Martin !

To make grass, I take a rusk that has been lying around in the rain for a while. When they start to decompose, you can pluck little groups of spikes out, that look a lot like grass at 1/16. All I had to do was glue them in place and paint them green/yellow/brown like real grass.

chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
Armorama: 727 posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 01:02 PM UTC
Show us some pics of this wall that your talking about.

~Chip :-)
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 11:05 PM UTC
I'll try to ! But tonight is my wedding anniversary, so we'll be out for dinner. No time for modeling. Should be online before the end of this week, though...

Jan
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 11:18 PM UTC
Jan,Van harte gefeliciteerd jongen!
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 11:25 PM UTC
Indeed Jan

Congratulations with the Wedding anniversary and hopefully with a lot more celebrations to come

GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 09:49 AM UTC
Thanks, guy ! We went for dinner at Dock's Café in Antwerp. Really nice place. While the lady's doing here ladies' secret night preparation procedures (with seems to have big similarities with sanding, filling, painting, weathering and paint removing )in the bathroom there's just enough time for a quick peek on Armorama.
 _GOTOTOP