_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Merkava color
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 1,654 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 12:03 PM UTC
I am going to be building the HobbyBoss Merkava Mk.IV #382429.I would like to know if any of these tanks where done in NATO colors?Thanks.Jeff T.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 12:37 PM UTC
Plain & simple, nope.
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 12:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Plain & simple, nope.

Mike,thank you for your short & sweet reply. Here's my next question.Can you give me a color in Tamiya or Vallejo that will work? Thanks again.Jeff T.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 01:24 PM UTC
Tamiya, you would need to mix a color, for Vallejo try Model Color 70886 Green Grey. I have not used it yet myself, (I have a couple of bottels on hand for the HB Merk 4 myself ) but have seen a couple of Merks done with it and the results were very good!

Mike
humvee
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 01:32 PM UTC
Jeff, try this link

http://www.idf-modelling.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=240

regards Mike
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,236 posts
Armorama: 700 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 01:03 AM UTC
I use different paints depending on how the vehicle looks in the reference photos and mix them accordingly.

Most modern IDF vehicles have a green greyish and I haven't found a "out of the bottle" so this is what I use.

First mix:
Tamiya: one part XF- 20, one part XF- 57, one part XF- 27 and one part XF- 49

Gives

Second mix:
Humbrol 72, 155 and 159 at a ratio of 1:1:1

Gives

Third:
Humbrol: 84
Use as a base and add filters and washes to get the desired effect.

Gives

Last:
Tamiya six parts XF-25, three parts XF -62 and one part XF-65

Gives

Hoop that helps a bit.

JW
The3rdPlacer
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 430 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 01:28 AM UTC
Hi,

While maybe not a perfect color, I've found Tamiya RLM 02 is close enough over a NATO black undercoat.

After washes and other weathering, it looks good to me.

Ryan

www.legendusa.net
SFModeller
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 154 posts
Armorama: 99 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 02:36 AM UTC
Here are some other options. Hope this helps.

http://idfmodelling.free.fr/article01.html

Thanh.
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 08:05 AM UTC
Thank you Gentlemen,now we are getting some place!Where does the HobbyBoss Merkava Mk.IV #82429 fit in the time line. Thanks,Jeff T.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 12:33 PM UTC
Jeff, the Merk 4 is the newest of the IDF's front-line MBT's. So you're looking for Humbrol 84, (Janwillem's 3rd pic) or something very similiar.

Mike
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 01:58 PM UTC
Am I correct in thinking that the 4 went into production in 2001?Jeff T.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 02:34 PM UTC
Close but not quite. The Merkava 4 was unveiled to the public in June 2002 after trials with 3 prototypes during 2001. It entered IDF service in 2004.

Mike
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 08:33 PM UTC
Mike,Thanks again.All the info I have gotten here has helped me a lot.This round's on Me Jeff T.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 04:20 PM UTC
I tried my own little experiment with colors. As you can see, I put dabs of well mixed Humbrol 84, Model Master 4814 Israeli Armor Sand Gray, and LifeColor035 Israeli Sand Gray. Make up your own minds, but to me, based on various photos I've seen in books and on the internet, all of which are impossible to verify against a standard, the Humbrol looks best.

cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 - 02:23 AM UTC
Hi guys,

I just thought I'd give you one more thought on IDF colors, based on a bit more experimenting. My last post showed 3 different colors, of which my personal favorite, based on best match to photos, etc., is Humbrol 84. This choice was, of course, initially based on many other opinions, the most significant of which was that of IDF expert Michael Mass. I'd just wanted to verify, personally, how the various recommended colors looked. Humbrol 84 is/was IT.

I happen to be a big fan of Tamiya acrylics, (limited though my experience may be), and I personally am not thrilled with the complications involved in enamel painting (smell, clean-up, etc.), so I was very interested in determining if there was an acrylic equivalent to Humbrol 84, preferably in Tamiya colors. There are a number of suggestions for mixes of colors for current IDF vehicles that can be found here on Armorama, but I verified an almost perfect match to Humbrol 84 this morning. It is: 2 parts XF-20 Medium Grey to 1 part XF-49 Khaki. Perhaps an even closer match may be a 1.5 to 1 ratio, which would result in just the smallest adjustment to the green end of the scale, but I have not yet tried that. As is, the 2:1 ratio is just fine!

So, for any of you who prefer Tamiya acrylics, and are looking for THE modern IDF color, this appears to be close to the perfect solution. My only reservation was that finding the XF-20 color was a bit of a challenge, and I had to buy a few 10ml bottles instead of the larger 23ml that I prefer.

I hope you find this of value
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 - 08:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys,

I just thought I'd give you one more thought on IDF colors, based on a bit more experimenting. My last post showed 3 different colors, of which my personal favorite, based on best match to photos, etc., is Humbrol 84. This choice was, of course, initially based on many other opinions, the most significant of which was that of IDF expert Michael Mass. I'd just wanted to verify, personally, how the various recommended colors looked. Humbrol 84 is/was IT.

I happen to be a big fan of Tamiya acrylics, (limited though my experience may be), and I personally am not thrilled with the complications involved in enamel painting (smell, clean-up, etc.), so I was very interested in determining if there was an acrylic equivalent to Humbrol 84, preferably in Tamiya colors. There are a number of suggestions for mixes of colors for current IDF vehicles that can be found here on Armorama, but I verified an almost perfect match to Humbrol 84 this morning. It is: 2 parts XF-20 Medium Grey to 1 part XF-49 Khaki. Perhaps an even closer match may be a 1.5 to 1 ratio, which would result in just the smallest adjustment to the green end of the scale, but I have not yet tried that. As is, the 2:1 ratio is just fine!

So, for any of you who prefer Tamiya acrylics, and are looking for THE modern IDF color, this appears to be close to the perfect solution. My only reservation was that finding the XF-20 color was a bit of a challenge, and I had to buy a few 10ml bottles instead of the larger 23ml that I prefer.

I hope you find this of value

Curtis...Thank you for all your work.That is exactly what I was looking for I really like Tamiya acrylics also.I myself like the smaller bottles better just due to storage.Thanks again,Jeff T.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 - 10:37 AM UTC
Hey Guys,

I just keep plugging along, trying to make myself completely happy that I've nailed the current IDF color. I tried a few more mixes today, including a remix of the 2 parts XF-20 and 1 part XF-49. I'd read that 1 part XF-20 and 1 part XF-57 (Buff) was good, and I was all for any 1:1 mix, but it turns out that that mix is far too grey. Next, I tried my own mix of six parts XF-25, three parts XF -62 and one part XF-65, someone posted a painted vehicle painted in this mix above, but at least to me, in person, this looked far too 'pine green', too much to the cool grey-green end of the spectrum. I tried about a 1.5 part XF-20 to 1 part XF-49, as I'd thought that might be better than the 2:1 mix, but, I must tell you, the 2:1 XF-20:XF-49 is just IT.

I know I must seem to be obsessed with this, and I suppose to a degree, I am, but I am now 100% convinced that this 2:1 mix is about as perfect a match to Humbrol 84 as you'll get. I"m going to mix up a big bottle of the 2:1, and have on hand for current IDF armor.
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 02:38 PM UTC
Hey all, again,

My first attempt at actually using the 2:1 XF-20:XF-49 Tamiya mix...on my Merkava IV roadwheels. It's just the beginning, but the color looks pretty good, to me at least!

dporter
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 - 11:10 PM UTC
Hi I have just become a member of this forum and am currently building the 1/35 Hobby Boss Merkava Mk III. But,its the colour that has stumped me. Now from what I have read so far it looks like you are on the trail to a successful colour match for this tank. But have you progressed any further only I see the tanks in battle now and they are more grey than buff but I also have reference shots showing more Buff.

Grateful for you suggestions on this and your listing may have been some time ago.

Kind Regards Dave Porter London England
Removed by original poster on 07/28/14 - 07:09:55 (GMT).
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 - 07:14 PM UTC
I suggest you avoid the insanity of trying to pin down the exact color, which changes in different light and dust conditions. Ammo by Mig has come out with a very useful paint set that has accurate colors - http://www.ammomigjimenez-usa.com/acrylic-sets/169-idf-colors-smart-acrylic-set.html
Phael_minis
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 208 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Monday, July 28, 2014 - 07:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I suggest you avoid the insanity of trying to pin down the exact color, which changes in different light and dust conditions. Ammo by Mig has come out with a very useful paint set that has accurate colors - http://www.ammomigjimenez-usa.com/acrylic-sets/169-idf-colors-smart-acrylic-set.html

I tried the Ammo mig 066 and it looks much too light (my bottle colour doesn't look like the one on the link, but it's the 066 ref, maybe they change it).
For me the best match is a 50-50 mix of Tamyia german grey and Khaki.
rodo
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 04:34 AM UTC
WOW. I've never reciecved so many replies on a topic. I don't know who to thank, as you've all helped so much. I'm gonna have to go with the Tamiya blends [ I have zero access to Humbrol, as good as they are ]. Thanks to you all, I have a broad pallette to get it right.This is truly a Great forum for " Pikers "such as myself.Thanks so much to all of You.Keith R.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 05:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

WOW. I've never reciecved so many replies on a topic. I don't know who to thank, as you've all helped so much. I'm gonna have to go with the Tamiya blends [ I have zero access to Humbrol, as good as they are ]. Thanks to you all, I have a broad pallette to get it right.This is truly a Great forum for " Pikers "such as myself.Thanks so much to all of You.Keith R.

I was the one who answered you on FSM and directed you this old thread to answer your question
zorrolobo
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 1,457 posts
Armorama: 1,440 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2016 - 12:02 PM UTC
I go with Vallejo IDF Israeli Sand Grey (FS30372) primer, then with a light coat of Vallejo Green Gray.

For me that works.
 _GOTOTOP