Hosted by Darren Baker
Good news for Centurion fans
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 12:53 AM UTC
At least for those who would like to build a vietnam era Australian Centurion : I've just seen (on the Blast Models website)a Legend Mark 5 conversion set for the old Tamiya kit, but apart from the price (about $53) and a little picture showing the bagged parts (including a new turret) and the box art I have no other informations. Maybe someone could enlighten me about this new set. I've got 2 Tamiya kits and a set of Friul tracks, along with a Accurate Armour armored fuel tank, taking dust on a shelf for too long !

To be complete : the set number is 1059, and there is also a conversion set for a 1967 IDF Centurion (#1060, same price...)

Frenchy
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 02:21 AM UTC
Frenchy, i would love to build one and that is certainly good news that Legend has decided to do a conversion set, unfortunately it seems to duplicate the Australian conversion kit(s) which are mentioned on the home page. I don't know how much the Ozzie sets are going to work out at either probably it will be more sensible buying from Blast and paying in Euros.. Added to that will be the cost of the Tamiya Cent plus a decent reference on Australian Cents...could get quite pricey..Thanks for the post though....One can but dream...Jim
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 02:45 AM UTC
D'OH ! I have not noticed the news about these other sets ! After using my converter, the prices appear to be in the same range...But ordering from Blast Model may be more practical for me as I live in France. And I prefer not to do the addition
BTW Shane Lovell's "Australian Centurions in Vietnam" (Military Briefs #3) is a more than decent source for reference pics.

Frenchy
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 02:53 AM UTC
Exactly my point, I would prefer to buy in europe as well, postage from Oz will be rather on the heavy side. If I get a chance later I will post up a couple of titles about the centurion in Australian service...they look excellent..Jim
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 05:52 AM UTC
I will draw your attention to the latest news article here at Armorama:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/news/336&mode=&order=0

Rob
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 08:47 AM UTC
Man,

I gotta say this is great news! We Vietnam modellers haven't had all that much offered for us in terms of kits --- well, at least compared to WWII modelers. It's kind of a bummer to see the majority of the new releases going to WWII German armor (yeah, okay, I own both Tamiya Marder IIIs --- guilty!)... Sure there have been cool releases such as the 3/4" ton Weapons Carrier (Skybow), the two M41s, Trumpeter T54, Dragon NVA T-34...but nothing (with the exception of the AFV Club Guntruck) has really jumped out at me as EXCITING. Maybe I'm just getting picky and jaded....something is indeed better than nothing!!

The new 1/35th scale SAM and the promised Skybow/AFV Club release of a brand new M42 Duster are very promising --- I know I'm asking the impossible, but I bet that a 1/35th scale injection molded plastic PACV hovercraft would get bought by a lot of modellers, Vietnam or otherwise! Why, because it is weird and cool!! Though Tamiya would be the obvious choice, Trumpeter, who seems to be willing to take risks, would probably be best to release this one.

Thanks for letting me rant!! Great news on the Centurion conversions!! I've had a Tamiya Centurion and that old issue of Military Modelling with the article on converting it to the Aussie VN version for some time.!Of course that means I'll have to convert an US M113 to the Aussie version! Arg!!

Aloha,

Johnny B.
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 03:28 PM UTC
That's great news. That's all I do now is Vietnam War models. I usually buy a bunch of stuff at once then build them, then get some more. I'm almost out of stuff to build, so I'm going to order some more. I'm also looking forward to that M42 Duster. Now if we could just get an cheaper Ontos than Hobby Fan's we'd be set
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 11:19 PM UTC
Doing some calculations off the top of my head, I came up with the following figures:
Tamiya Centurion (more or less 40 euros)
Conversion Kit (55 euros)
Ozzie Reference book (20+ euros)
Crew Figures (10-15 euros each plus postage)

TOTAL: between 130 and 150 euros

Oh dear..... #:-) It's that or the Trumpeter Karl.....Jim
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 11:28 PM UTC
Havoc, I've just looked at the Accurate Armour lists and they do the M113 Australian conversions.... Not too pricey either.

I'm beginning to wonder if it would be simpler just building (and cheaper) building one of the AA Centurions after all...Jim
29Foxtrot
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 11:55 PM UTC
Hi Folks,
I've read with interst, about what your saying with the Centurion Mk V conversion, If I may add my little bit, I'm ex Armoured Corps, from late 60's to late 80's, with both the Centurion and the M 113A1 FSV [76mm gun, another of my conversion sets] and the M 113A1 with the T 50 Turret. OK I'm the Shadoworks person who did the conversion that is marketed, mine is available with or with out the dozer blade, I supply the 35 scale drawings with my conversion set. If any of you would like a copy of the drawings of the Aussie Centurion I'd be happy to help you. Check whatever conversion you decide on for a couple of additions, to make your Centurion a true Aussie one.
1: The mesh basket framing is included.
2: The main gun is the 20lb, their are up to 3 counter wieghts on the barrel.
3: The searchlight fittings on the left front mantel.
4: Bazooka plate mountings are removed.
5: The exhausts are not the fishtail type, ours where slightly curved outwards and down.
6: Boot scrappers where fitted to the left rear mufler housing, forward of the travel clap for the barrel.
7: Additional armour plate upper front hull, no steps and the front guard brackets were changed, also an additional tool box was mounted on the front if the dozer was fitted.
Some of my references show the head lights mounted directly onto the front hull, these were removed after 'ONE' opperation, as they were susepterble to damage from trees and other things.
8: The Jerry Can layout on the engine deck is included in their ilustrations.

I hope I have been of some help, if you need more info just ask me.
Rob.
29Foxtrot
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 06:21 AM UTC
Hi Folks,

For those members who wish to build the Aussie Mk V Centurion and have mentioned the Mk V, from Legends Resin there's is of the 'British' Mk V.
In my gallery is a hard copy photgraph that I scanned, of the Mk V Centurion in Australian Service. I hope I have helped settle the confusion between the 2 variations.
The photo was given to Shadoworks as a refference, for the searchlight. Which is a future release, for our conversion. As they spent more time stowed in the basket than fitted to the vehicle. I hope I have been of some help.
Regards.
Rob.
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 09:21 AM UTC
Heya, Rob,

It looks like a great conversion set, but why not include the extended range fuel tank...? I know it is available from AA, but since this was standard on all Aussie Cents in Vietnam, I would think that this is a MUST to include with your kit...?

It's a little bit of a disincentive to lay out the cash and STILL not have everything you need for the model you wanna build, ya know? And then having to deal with another vendor, more shipping, etc...arg! The searchlight, on the other hand, I can understand as an optional part as it was often removed...

That being said, I look forward to seeing your conversion kit at a well-stocked hobby shop like Mission Models or one of the shows...

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing more of your products...

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
Paul_Owen
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 09:36 AM UTC
AFV Club are releasing five Centurions starting in 2004, I believe one of those was the Australian version (although I don't have the list in front of me and I may be confusing it with the British Korean War version).

These kits are not copies or reboxes of any other kits, they are all 100% new.

Paul.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 09:47 AM UTC
I'm fortunate to write the reviews for the new Legend kits and the conversions are on their way to me.

Excuse me for sounding negative below, but I must state some facts so people won't pin their hopes on my future reviews of these kits.

I never had the Tamiya Centurion kit, nor do I have any plans to buy one (I may change my mind, but I definitely have no plans on buying FOUR Centurions). As such, don't expect an "accuracy or fit review on the Tamiya kit" from me. Someone else will have to write such a review. I can only tell you about the resin quality, shape, and condition.

Also, I don't have a digital camera at present, nor am I in a rush to review the conversions once I receive them. (There's no deadline to post from Legends anyway). .

Chances are, PMMS will review these kits before I do.

My reviews usually appear here or on Track-Link.
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
Armorama: 772 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 10:07 AM UTC
Centurian,
For any US Armorama members who wish to add this to their collection. We are
going to get MUTILATED if you order overseas.!!! The Euro is about .70 cents american.
Might I suggest you order from Baseline or Mission Models or VLS here in the states.
An issue to consider.
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 598 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 10:21 AM UTC
I can't wait for AFV to release those kits . The last centurian I bult was the tamiya one. I think that it was a Korean war version.
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2003 - 06:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

- I know I'm asking the impossible, but I bet that a 1/35th scale injection molded plastic PACV hovercraft would get bought by a lot of modellers, Vietnam or otherwise! Why, because it is weird and cool!! Though Tamiya would be the obvious choice, Trumpeter, who seems to be willing to take risks, would probably be best to release this one.
Johnny B.

Johnny: FYI the PACV has already been kitted in RESIN. AND guess what IT FLOPPED
TOO many not willing to foot the bill
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 12:29 AM UTC
AFV Club Centurions? Let's not get carried away here... This rumor has been circulating for ages... Don't get me wrong, I hope you are right, I don't see it happening though... Commercially, the Cent, though a godsend for the enthusiasts, does not make sense, no more probably would the PACV. I'd love to see both kitted-out in plastic, desperately! I'd also like to see a 1/35th Scammell (plus variants) but I don't think Tamiya is going to do one soon...Jim
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 398 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 07:49 AM UTC
Ive been waiting for this subject for so long that when it does come out,I will think that hell has frozen over....larry
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 08:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

- I know I'm asking the impossible, but I bet that a 1/35th scale injection molded plastic PACV hovercraft would get bought by a lot of modellers, Vietnam or otherwise! Why, because it is weird and cool!! Though Tamiya would be the obvious choice, Trumpeter, who seems to be willing to take risks, would probably be best to release this one.
Johnny B.

Johnny: FYI the PACV has already been kitted in RESIN. AND guess what IT FLOPPED
TOO many not willing to foot the bill

When and by who??

The only one I know of was listed by Viking, but they went under before the kit came out.
Graf-fitti listed one, but it never saw the light of day either.

In 1/35th? In resin?

I'd LOVE a Pacv.. whatta cool looking kit that would be..

As for Centurions, I'll wait and see what to make of the AFV releases before buying resin for the Tamiya ancient..

RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2003 - 05:25 PM UTC
[/quote]
When and by who??
The only one I know of was listed by Viking, but they went under before the kit came out.
Graf-fitti listed one, but it never saw the light of day either.
In 1/35th? In resin?
I'd LOVE a Pacv..
[/quote]

While attending the 88' or 89' IPMS Regionals in Newport News, in the Vendors Rm was a company that did only ships. To see them at an IPMS event struck me funny, especially since all they had on the Table were ships. They were a Co. from the Virginia area.
On the Table was a multi-media kit in 1/35 of the PACV. It had a Resin lower Hull, a vac upper hull, resin helm, w/ white metal radar, and weapons. Clear acetate for the windows.
I thought $199.00 was INSANE for a model at the time, so I refused to even consider a
purchase of the kit.
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 07:55 AM UTC
Wow,

I would have liked to see that PACV kit... Yeah, I remember when Grafiti was going to release it... Rumor had it that Nimix was going to release a resin PACV, but this was just a rumor (I asked them)...

Ya gotta admit, $200.00 is a BIG hit for the average modeler... I still think that a reasonably priced PACV (say around $60.00 or $70.00 at the most) would sell in injection molded plastic... But, hey, maybe I'm just being a selfish Vietnam modeler!! Still, I remain optimistic that we will see one at some point!!

Thanks for the info, amigos!

Much Aloha,

Johnny B.

Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 831 posts
Armorama: 614 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2003 - 12:31 PM UTC
Quarermaster is releasing a new book on the Centurian which might come in useful for all. It includes a lot of drawings out of the original manuals. See it at their website:
http://www.quartermastersdepot.com/Centurion.asp
Havoc
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 09:18 AM UTC
Has anyone seen the new Legends Vietnam Centurion conversion yet...? If so how is it and what exactly does it come with...? I'm wondering if it is worth $55.00 to fix up the old Tamiya Cent...? Maybe Squadron will discount it like the do with much of the Legends stuff. Certainly cheaper than the muy expensive (but oh so sweet looking) AA Centurion....

Thanks!

Aloha,

Johnny B.
2-2dragoon
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 05:45 PM UTC
I would like to know as well. It is $64 plus shipping. That is a lot and if the quality if not up to snuff then I do not want to spend it. While I really want to build a Vietnam Centurion, I do not want to spend that kind of money on a marginal kit. Also, how are the instructions? Any pictures??
 _GOTOTOP