_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Kilroy was here
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 04:46 PM UTC
Does anyone make any 1/35th decals with this iconic figure and saying? As my Dad used to say Kilroy was everywhere in WW2, on C-47s and Shermans, Artillery Pieces and Trucks to walls and foxholes.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 07:57 PM UTC
There are a few on this decal sheet
US Army Uniform Decals

But it looks easy enough to do yourself.
I believe Kilroy was a sort of Quartermaster checking stuff he send out and if he had checked and approved it he chalked the Kilroy marking on it. Very small brush and some thinned white paint or a soft very sharpened pencil and you are good to go
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 10:56 PM UTC
You can draw it free hand with a thin brush easy enough.

cheers
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 02:04 AM UTC
Kilroy was here

KILROY WAS HERE HOMEPAGE
ptillery
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 12:47 PM UTC
Sadly, I know of none but, even better, help get a USPS stamp remembering Kilroy Was Here!NO Fundraising! Kilroy Was Here was with EVERY combat, training, or occupation mission during WWII (and continues today in the Gulf War, Afghanistan, and Iraq. He needs to be remembered by the USPS with a stamp — one last and lasting tribute to the greatest generation. To help get the stamp, go to:
http://www.kilroywashere.org/_00-temp/USPS-REQ.html
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 01:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sadly, I know of none but, even better, help get a USPS stamp remembering Kilroy Was Here!NO Fundraising! Kilroy Was Here was with EVERY combat, training, or occupation mission during WWII (and continues today in the Gulf War, Afghanistan, and Iraq. He needs to be remembered by the USPS with a stamp — one last and lasting tribute to the greatest generation. To help get the stamp, go to:
http://www.kilroywashere.org/_00-temp/USPS-REQ.html

Sooooo, do you also build models?

cheers
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 01:50 PM UTC
Aw hell, I can't draw a straight line to save my life, and if I hand lettered it well, no one would know who was there! BTW, I loved the responses, especially the links to where all these folks had "official" sounding stuff about Kilroy. I don't know who started it, but it was the GIs, Gyrenes Flyboys and Swabbos who kept it going. Even Patton couldn't stop Kilroy! My guess is that for the boys he just was a little reminder of home.
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 06:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone make any 1/35th decals with this iconic figure and saying? As my Dad used to say Kilroy was everywhere in WW2, on C-47s and Shermans, Artillery Pieces and Trucks to walls and foxholes.

My favorite "Kilroy" story was from my uncle. He did three landings in the PTO, and he said that after all the naval gunfire and bombing on Peleu (sp) when they hit the beach in the first wave there was a sign posted on the beach saying "Kilroy was here!!"
gary
 _GOTOTOP