Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Tank Destroyer/SPG Campaign
Apollo11
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 71 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 07:57 AM UTC
Hi Paul,
I have about 40 kits in the stash, split between modern AFV's & the usual WW2 stuff. I tell the missus that Model Companies tend only to do short runs on kits so it pays to buy a kit a)when you see it & b) when the disposable income allows. I know, this all sounds completely scientific & logical but I am forced to go to these lengths as my 5 yr old son will happily blab to her indoors whenever a new purchase is made. Other dodges include - "No love,its not a new one, I left this in the car boot the other night when I came back from the model club"
Or "Twenty quid after discount, or would you rather i spend my pocket money at the pub, come home drunk & be fit for nothing the next day"
Or even better the rational approach - "A tank transporter needs a tank to transport, the other M1 is in a diorama darling (duh).."
Or Plan 8D, (and never reveal this secret to her indoors) stick an old raffle ticket on it & say you won it in the club raffle..
My wife fully supports my hobby, that is why she had stuck a sign on the stash in the hobby room -
"End of Season sale, 50% off"
Anyway back to the washing up..

Cheers, AndyC.
Fister30
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 03:19 AM UTC
Paul i do like the short run on kits idea..i will have to try that one for sure

Well here is what i got the other day for my campaign build.

Is it july yet
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 04:01 AM UTC
@ Jon, I built that Kit for the Dragon OOB Campaign,
Photobucket
its a great kit but there are some short comings with the instructions so be a little careful there
Fister30
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 04:12 AM UTC
Thanks Sal note taken....i have noticed that with some of their other kits as well.
1721Lancers
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,673 posts
Armorama: 1,640 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 02:25 AM UTC
Hi Jeff,
my better half says "it´s a model free zone, and buy the time I´m through sorting the place out I´ll be too knackered to start building tanks!!"
Hi Andy,
the idea with the raffle ticket is brilliant, I shall try that at the weekend.
Hi Jon,
be careful with the "short run kits" because my wife knows that all the big names don´t do it. Stick to things like
Castoff CMK Plus model and such.
I´m glad to see that humor is big thing here.
...now where are those vakuum cleaner bags before I get into...
Paul.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 06:12 AM UTC
I've never built a Jagdtiger ... yet. But soon I will and it must be 1/16 though, to go along with my 1/16 Elefant.

Well, I know I bought the le.FH18/40/2(sf) auf G.W.Pz.Kpfw.III/IV for this Campaign but while digging out the stash for something for the APC/AFV Campaign I found the Tamiya Marder II Sd.kfz.131 Now that looks awesome and I forgot I had it too.

What to do?

~ Jeff
jkb_sprint
Visit this Community
Thessaloniki, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 402 posts
Armorama: 394 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 06:33 AM UTC
The Jagdtiger is a very nice TD...and a Dragon kit? A very interesting build is ahead....
I am going to build a Jagdpanzer IV L/70. I'll use the Italeri F kit, it provides everything for the L/70 both early and late types except for the barrel. So i got the one offered from Griffon. I'm currently looking into profiles, although i really like the boxart from the old Italeri kit with the dot styled camo. Unfortunately i haven't been able to find that profile yet anywhere......

WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 06:44 PM UTC
Nice choice John .. its a oldie but not a bad kit ,,built one many years ago,,,looking forward to seeing what you can do with it

Phill
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Armorama: 256 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 09:30 PM UTC
Gentlemen-
I am very tempted to join in, but the plate is quite full. Within the range I have a Geschützwagen 38-M with SiG33 and an Ardelt Waffenträger with 105mm lFh 18 that would fit the bill.
Well, I am not promising, but I'll be watching with interest, anyway!
Cheers,
Guido
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 10:38 PM UTC
Guido,, Well dude if you can join then you would be more than welcome but if ya can't then thats ok too .. its gonna be a fun ride ,,would be good if ya joined tho

Phill
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 03:08 PM UTC
Jon: I'm building a Jagtiger for the 1/48th campaign. At 1/35th, I'm not sure it would fit on my work bench

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Happy Modeling, -zon
Fister30
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 03:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jon: I'm building a Jagtiger for the 1/48th campaign. At 1/35th, I'm not sure it would fit on my work bench

Happy Modeling, -zon

Zon if i don't get a handle on my campaign addiction it won't fit on my bench either but from the looks of the builds in this campaign it's going to be one heck of a show
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 08:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Happy Modeling, -zon

Zon if i don't get a handle on my campaign addiction it won't fit on my bench either but from the looks of the builds in this campaign it's going to be one heck of a show

BUILD A BIGGER WORKBENCH!! (I did)

Seriously ... if you build it, they will come!

~ Jeff
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 438 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 08:54 PM UTC
i'm in
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 09:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Happy Modeling, -zon

BUILD A BIGGER WORKBENCH!! (I did)

Seriously ... if you build it, they will come!

~ Jeff

Jeff and those words couldn't be truer had the same problem ,,,,,until i scored this huge custom made desk of a friend of mine .. three times the size of my old one ..and its still not big enough !!!
Just means now i can put more crap on it ,,clean up time again

Oh well .. thats modelling for ya

Thomo ,,Welcome aboard mate ,,there's always room in the nut house for more

Phill
thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 438 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 09:45 PM UTC
Cheers Phil

I am hoping to at least complete a couple of the many campaigns I have signed up for ......Priest or Marder or Jadgtiger??????
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 09:48 PM UTC
Back in 2003/04 when I decided to go back to modeling I purchased this rather large L shaped office desk with a hutch. It measures 6' X 5' X 2' and is placed in a corner.

Well, it filled up fast so in the center of the Hobby Room I laid a 6' X 2' board over my video storage units for "more" work area. That fills up fast with temporary projects and other essentials but can endure some rather harsh assembling and sanding procedures that I wouldn't dream of doing to or on the office desk.

I do have one area concentrated only for detailed construction and or painting that remains clear most of the time.

So, no excuses!!

EDIT:

To Zon ~ I would gladly trade my hobby room off to move to Hawaii! There, you are most fortunate!

~ Jeff
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 11:06 PM UTC
Ohh that is nice Jeff .. now to blow your mind buddy .. just measured mine ,, and its bigger than i thought .. its a L shape outer with a curved area where ya sit ,, the length is 8'5 by 6'5 ,,its 5'5 deep at the center of the curve to the outer corner and at the ends its the same as yours 2' wide .. now for the annoying things which needs alot of room i have a work table in the center of my lounge ( ie mans room ) which is 2'3/4 by 4'5 ,,thats for the dio building and as for painting ..fully set up work shop for that ,,Man's room number 2 .
Like you ,,shelves everywhere for the things needing to be close .
Us blokes we will get what we want in the end

Have to admit ,,its taken quite awhile to get where i am now .. still could be better

Thomo ... how about all 3 mate .. if you want to impress ,,big is always better, but then ya could go for something now seen much too ..the Priest would fit that bill mate

Phill
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 11:38 PM UTC
Sounds neat man!

I came from a full basement that where I put in complete bathroom facilities (minus the urinal ... wife voted that one out) and it had pretty much everything I needed. A full "game room" area, video/audio room where I roughed in all the speaker wiring and placed the audio components in the wall behind glass.

I was pretty big into darts (while I still had shoulders) and participated in many tournaments. I did start dabbling into RC before we moved, so it had a small desk area.

NOW all I have is a 9' X 11' room ... tiny compared to what I had and very limited to what can be done. It's one of those rooms where you must shuffle your feet sideways to get out and the "hobby area" is the one with all the shoulder room.

One of these days I'll take some pics and use this program that puts them all together. What's it called ... a Photomontage or a Digital collage? Where you electronically connect several pictures together to make one panoramic view.

It's a very, very busy room.

~ Jeff
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 02:51 PM UTC
Jon: I hear you about this addiction we suffer from!!

Jeff and Phill: I'm becoming envious of your set-ups. The down side to paradise is an exhorbitant cost of living, so I couldn't contain either of your set ups in my little condo. This is why I've really been getting into 1/48th!!

Happy Modeling, -zon
Fister30
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 05:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeff and Phill: I'm becoming envious of your set-ups. The down side to paradise is an exhorbitant cost of living, so I couldn't contain either of your set ups in my little condo. This is why I've really been getting into 1/48th!!

Happy Modeling, -zon

The price we pay for paradise is a drag, but at least there's
models to take our minds of the usual day to day grind
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 06:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Happy Modeling, -zon

The price we pay for paradise is a drag, but at least there's
models to take our minds of the usual day to day grind

Zon ,, oh think yourself lucky your not caught in our trap bud .. the more space we have the more we buy and as Jeff can testify we now have no space left ,,yes i have heaps of shelves and yes i have a nice big work space ..but those shelves are now full and the nice big work space ?? that only big now cause i cleaned up trust me it will go bye bye again real soon

Jon .. Ya to true mate but dew to that ..i have run out of shelf space bugger

Phill
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 06:30 AM UTC
Phill: I hear you buddy!!!

Hey, I heard on the radio you are about to get slapped with a cig tax of $20nz per pack? Is that true?
I don't even smoke and I think that sucks.

Happy Modeling, -zon
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 10:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Happy Modeling, -zon

Like I said Zon. I am envious of your set up and would trade it all for your situation. Nothing wrong with a little condo and building 1/48th! Heck, I would do it all for 1/72 too!

My wife and I vacationed at Oahu in 2001 and were ready to stay and loose it all. It's just beautiful there and the life style I could easily adapt and love too.

~ Jeff
ErnestY
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 07:07 PM UTC
If this was a size competition...I hereby declare myself a winner: