_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Members Trying to up Their Post Count
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 - 11:08 PM UTC
I've noticed a few members, of late that are trying to up their post count by quoting someone and leaving the rest of the post blank. Is there some way to stop this trend?
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 - 12:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've noticed a few members, of late that are trying to up their post count by quoting someone and leaving the rest of the post blank. Is there some way to stop this trend?

Think you might find this may be a spammer using the site to link to another web site.

I had one post on my blog and at the foot had links to something gold and I reported it on the forum help threads.

Have a look there.

Nige
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 - 01:12 AM UTC
From what I have seen, it is more a case of the poster messing up the quote process and putting their response within the quotes as opposed to after.

Secondly, who cares if someone wants to up their post count that way. Why does the post count matter anyways? I don't pay attention to it.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 - 02:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

From what I have seen, it is more a case of the poster messing up the quote process and putting their response within the quotes as opposed to after.

Secondly, who cares if someone wants to up their post count that way. Why does the post count matter anyways? I don't pay attention to it.

I base decisions on whether or not to buy something partly on their post count. The higher the count, the more honest.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 - 03:16 AM UTC
Well that's some seriously flawed logic...

I'd be fine if the post counts just went away.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 - 05:08 AM UTC
Speaking for myself I do not worry about this as I usually look at how long someone has been a member and their post count to see if they are active. If looking to buy something from a member take a look at their previous posts and ask for feed back from the membership who may have dealt with them in the past.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 - 05:10 AM UTC
Length of time of membership seems plausible. It just irritates me that room is being taken up and, sometimes, disrupting the flow of conversation.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 - 05:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I base decisions on whether or not to buy something partly on their post count. The higher the count, the more honest.

Quoted Text

Length of time of membership seems plausible. It just irritates me that room is being taken up and, sometimes, disrupting the flow of conversation.

I'm afraid length of membership and post count mean nothing when it comes to honesty. A lot of members were caught out on armorama a few years ago by Brian Gray who had a high post count, did lots of reviews and feature articles and was even a staff member for a while before he started making bad trades with people.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 - 07:04 AM UTC
Wow! This thread raises some interesting issues. Like Matt, I also tend to look at length of service and amount of involvement as a "ready reckoner" when assessing members. But I know it is only a picture of what they've done so far, and no guarantee of future behaviour. The best we can ever do is develop strategies to assess risk and ways to minimise the impact, and the stats are part of the toolkit available to inform our assessments. Still, nothing's perfect!

Tom
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 - 08:13 AM UTC
There is also a thread on the site listing people who have been good traders to date and I believe a list of poor traders as well.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 - 09:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There is also a thread on the site listing people who have been good traders to date and I believe a list of poor traders as well.

These lists are not comprehensive.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 - 04:03 PM UTC
Well, I will admit to being more conscientious about posting frequently when I'm in range of a new rank. Since I'm about 3000 posts from the next rank, I doubt I'll worry about it for a while

Can't say I've used post count as a measure of honesty, experience maybe. But information can be gleaned from nearly any post, regardless of post count.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2012 - 02:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 367 posts
Armorama: 326 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 - 05:15 AM UTC
I wouldn't necessarily assume because they posted a quote and didn't say anything else that they are trying to up their post count.

When I see this it is usually to voice their agreement with a previous post. It makes it easier to read. So instead of reading 10 variations of "Be careful when spraying laquers over acrylics", it is nice to see one quote carreid through.

It's like when people post "+1" or "what he said", just simplier to read.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 05:42 AM UTC
I prefer people who can think for themselves, even if it is redundant.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 04:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

When I see this it is usually to voice their agreement with a previous post. It makes it easier to read. So instead of reading 10 variations of "Be careful when spraying laquers over acrylics", it is nice to see one quote carreid through.

It's like when people post "+1" or "what he said", just simplier to read.

Personally I find it doesn't add any value to a post when someone quotes and does a "ditto", "wot he sed" or "+1". All it does is lengthen the thread. Given that most of my visits to this network are via iPhone, I can't be arsed wading through a swath of such posts and often simple abandon reading the thread. They rank right up there with those silly "PM sent" posts.

Just my 2c, just below parity...

RR
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 05:03 PM UTC
Does this matter? Isn't the internet just another means of communication, and isn't that its purpose?

Time alwasy being an issue I too am guilty of the 'Ditto' useage on occasions but I tend to acknowledge anyones work I've looked at, rather than look and say nothing, as they have taken the time and effort to upload the references/pictures or whatever, I feel guilty if I don't add some comment be it long or short.

We all have our own way of dealing with threads, I don't see that the post count matters much one way or another, but I do think it worth the effort to add encouragements or thanks as it's part of the motivating factor to make the effort in the first palce.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

Al
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 11:14 PM UTC
Ditto what Alan says
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 545 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 08:02 AM UTC
Agree post count means absolutely nothing and definately shouldn't be used as a guage of someones honesty or level of expertise.
I've been a member for nearly 10 years, subscribe (pay)to the site and my post count is less than 1,000! I am not as "active" on the site as I would like too....life gets in the way sometimes, but I do scan thru the latest posts almost daily.

You are better off reading the reviews on this site and other sites to base your decision to buy a kit or not. Even then, reviews should be taken with a small grain of salt as they can be overly harsh for minor flaws/innaccuracies in a kit and make an otherwise really nice kit seem like junk. Also, some reviewers are very partial to certain manufacturers and never give the kits they review an honest assessment!

My .02c
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 09:47 AM UTC
Seriously where do you even get the time from to be bothered by such a triviality. I have seen it countless of times that people copy blocks of text in a discussion over and over.. I remember some brilliant Quote artworks from discussions where you were involved as well Matt.
And not a single second I thought... wow how annoying how people here are upping their postcount. I usually thought something among the lines of: Oh Wow how annoying I'm not going to read any further.

If Postcount is a matter of thrustwortyness what would this mean if the best modeler or seller in the world decides to become a member of this site tomorrow... He will start on post 1. Not automatically with 5000.

Postcount isn't important and it doesn't mean a thing really. If you are interested in something it eventually all comes down to reading reading reading and making up your mind from all the gathered information.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 10:44 AM UTC
To help clarify I never meant that a members post count proved their honesty, what I meant was that you can see if a person is active or has just shown up and put items up for sale. A member who is active can at least be reached with relative ease. regarding the initial point of this post why even bother about it, if it annoys you just ignore it or scroll past it.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2012 - 01:00 PM UTC
Now, the underlying reason for this post. I have been attempting to lull users that don't input their opinions into a discussion; in which he or she must present his or her opinions. I realize that I have most likely alienated myself, but I think I did so striving for a higher cause.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2012 - 04:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Now, the underlying reason for this post. I have been attempting to lull users that don't input their opinions into a discussion; in which he or she must present his or her opinions. I realize that I have most likely alienated myself, but I think I did so striving for a higher cause.

I think you're using this thread to inflate your own post count...
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 02:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What? What are you talking about? Everyone that replied to this thread are frequently involved in discussions and give their opinions freely.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 06:49 AM UTC
I attempted to do this.
 _GOTOTOP