_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Tall Grass?
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 02:03 AM UTC
Hi! Anyone got an idea how to make tall grass measuring about 3-5 cm in height? What materials will I use? I want to make a dio with tall green grass. Thanks!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 02:23 AM UTC
Woodland Scenics sells a product called Tall Grass that comes in variety of colors for the seasons. There's enough color variationin each pack to not require painting.
I don't usually need grass that tall, so waht I do is drill a hole throiugh the base and pull a folded over clump of "grass" to about the length I want and put a drop of superglue on the clump from the bottom of the base. I trim any excess length from the exposed part and shave off the part I pulled through the bottom.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 02:30 AM UTC
Here are a bunch of threads on tall grass
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/14159&page=1
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/3595&page=1
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/17970&page=1
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 02:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Woodland Scenics sells a product called Tall Grass that comes in variety of colors for the seasons. There's enough color variationin each pack to not require painting.
I don't usually need grass that tall, so waht I do is drill a hole throiugh the base and pull a folded over clump of "grass" to about the length I want and put a drop of superglue on the clump from the bottom of the base. I trim any excess length from the exposed part and shave off the part I pulled through the bottom.

Nah, I would go for that product. I have a friend who tried that and he spent about 5000 PHP or $100 USD. I'll rather go for the economical one.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 02:42 AM UTC

Thanks dude!
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 02:52 AM UTC
try using a paint brush some of the brushes have a greenish/beige colour to them instead of black you can either spray it or use as is very cheap and quick
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 03:23 AM UTC
he spent about 5000 PHP or $100 USD.
How large an area did he cover?
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 05:43 AM UTC

I often use these. When you let these chestnut rusks sit aside for a few weeks, they become soft. At that stage, you can pull out bunches of spikes, forming a nice little cluster of "grass". Let dry and paint green/yellow/brown. Makes convincing grass !

Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 427 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 02:21 AM UTC
This is no joke. The tall grass from Woodlands is dyed hair. My barber was asked to save the fine straight hair from people with dyed blond hait that obviously swam in pools with chlorine and turn their dyed blond hair slightly green. All you want for free as long as you can convince your barber that you aren't some type of hair fetish pervert. But, if we weren't, we wouldn't be modelers.

Sealhead (Kansas sunflower)
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 02:26 AM UTC
Man, Seal, using a stranger's hair? That just urps me out... I am 100% certain that my wife would not let it in the house. (She used to work in a dermatologists office). OOOOH, no.

Shaun
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 04:02 AM UTC
I use a cheap bristle paint brush (available at Home Depot and other paint stores), then soak them overnight in a green or brown solution of acrlic paint. Cut clumps at varous lengths, and glue in place with Fabritac.

nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 01:50 AM UTC
Depending on the type of grass you are trying to replicate, wide or narrow bladed. I like to use jute twine for narrow or fine grass, or hemp rope for wider bladed grasses. Cut it to the desired length(s) and unravel (be sure to unravel partially before dyeing it). It is easy to to dye using a number of mediums Rit Dye, paint (thinned), or food coloring. Using a variety of different sizes, different shades of color, and thicknesses will enhance the realism. Good luck! Hope this helps.
 _GOTOTOP