_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Ka-Mi with pontoons
Neonik
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
KitMaker: 397 posts
Armorama: 397 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 07:19 AM UTC
Hello colleges! I would like to show my work with new limited Cyberhobby model - Ka-Mi with pontoons.
The model is rather expensive and I've been waited perfect quality. The quality of the details is perfect indeed, but there are several mistakes in this model,some of them are critical (maybe only for me). I am trying to fix them and do some corrections ay the moment.
So let's start.
I've started with boggies. They are good and correct. So we should just assemble them.

Boggies on a model.

Drive spocket and idler wheel are correct too.
Than I decided to glue parts of the hull. Almost all interior details in kit are useless,so you may not to glue them if all hatches will be closed.
After gluing I saw a first problem. Dragon decided to do a welds instead of us. Not bad,but why all those welds are situated in places where 2 or more parts of the hull should be glued with each other!? Even little amount of model glue melt those welds. So the main problem is a weld restoration with Tamiya Epoxy.

After removing from the sprue we will have the same problem with the exhaust.

On the rear the blades were too thick. I have grinded off them.

The machine guns in this kit are very beautiful,but they are not correct. Finemolds do right machine guns. I don't have any Finemolds kit,so I can't solve this problem. I have just filled the slit on machine gun jacket.

I have added a weld around machine gun mask.

To be continued.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 01:50 PM UTC
Nice work so far.
Keep us posted on your progress.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 - 03:57 AM UTC
I've seen your work over on panzer35ru and I have to ask how you do your welding marks...they look very good!
Neonik
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 - 05:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work so far.
Keep us posted on your progress.

Thank you! I will
Neonik
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 - 05:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've seen your work over on panzer35ru and I have to ask how you do your welding marks...they look very good!

Oh I am very pleased! Welds are just result of practicing. I use modeling knife and Tamiya epoxy only.
I started one thread with some instructions. It is in Russian,but I think pictures will describe all the work.
http://panzer35.ru/forum/31-6296-1
Neonik
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 - 06:08 AM UTC
The work with hull is not ended. I will add many details later,because they are small and fragile. I started to work with front pontoon.
Unfortunately Dragon made a big mistake in dimensions of the pontoon bottom and angles of low plates. The bottom doesn't work out in details at all. There are no internal welds in parts what join the hull.
Pontoon is rather big. Length in cm.

I have started with internal welds, which have been forgotten by Dragon.

I decided to replace barrier from the kit. I made my own from wire.

Some little details.

Missed welds on the front.

The main work was with bottom.
Here are stages of the work.

And the final.

Too much mistakes for premium expensive model I think.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 12:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Oh I am very pleased! Welds are just result of practicing. I use modeling knife and Tamiya epoxy only.
I started one thread with some instructions. It is in Russian,but I think pictures will describe all the work.
http://panzer35.ru/forum/31-6296-1

Thats perfect! Google translate...helps a little bit,but mostly windup with a headache if I read it literally

Neonik
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 04:54 AM UTC
Oh I see I have refreshed those thread with new photos of different types of the welds.
research1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 19, 2012 - 02:45 AM UTC
Artyom,

Beautiful work so far. I wanted a kit of this vehicle for years. A company in Pennsylvania announced a forthcoming resin one that never was produced. Then the kit was released with no potoons. This one, with the pontoons, is very expensive and way beyond my wallet...sigh. Also, you have really taken the blush off the rose with telling all the mistakes and ommisions. So, I don't feel so bad about not being able to afford the kit.

Again...you do magnificent work.

Regards,

Ray Mehlberger (USA)
Neonik
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 08:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Artyom,

Beautiful work so far. I wanted a kit of this vehicle for years. A company in Pennsylvania announced a forthcoming resin one that never was produced. Then the kit was released with no potoons. This one, with the pontoons, is very expensive and way beyond my wallet...sigh. Also, you have really taken the blush off the rose with telling all the mistakes and ommisions. So, I don't feel so bad about not being able to afford the kit.

Again...you do magnificent work.

Regards,

Ray Mehlberger (USA)

Hello Ray! Thank you for a pleasant words!
I am very glad that this build log is useful for modelers. Indeed this Ka-Mi has too many mistakes for that price. And if Ka-Mi is rather good (as a separate kit), pontoons are really bad. Dragon has made something average between early and late versions of the pontoons. A lot of work will with rear pontoon...

By the way a little update
I have bought PE from Voyager. The kit is very small and many details are useless if you will not do all the hatches workable?! Without interior this will be rather fun.
I have used ventilation hatches. They are good,but hatch pole I have made by myself. Hatch locks are wrong but I don't have any another.

Don't forget about micro welds on a hatch!

This is not final version because I have to optimize all the construction for easy painting.
The vertical welds on a model were too big,I made new ones.

research1
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 02:22 PM UTC
Your details are awesome. Excellent welds. I have periodically encountered a inaccurate kit, that I had to fix. I have the DML Hueschrecke "Grasshopper" that does not include the pulleys and chains that should be on the folding lifting gantries. I got the Ventura set for the pulleys and their other set of replacement fenders. However, no chains came with their set of pulleys. I bought some chain in the H.O. model railroad section of my local hobby shop.

Cheers,

Ray
Neonik
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 12:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Your details are awesome. Excellent welds. I have periodically encountered a inaccurate kit, that I had to fix. I have the DML Hueschrecke "Grasshopper" that does not include the pulleys and chains that should be on the folding lifting gantries. I got the Ventura set for the pulleys and their other set of replacement fenders. However, no chains came with their set of pulleys. I bought some chain in the H.O. model railroad section of my local hobby shop.

Cheers,

Ray

Hello Ray! I understand you. Ka-Mi is my first expensive model. Very sad but it has broken my expectations of easy assembling without scratch. Previous my models were cheaper, but very complicated.
research1
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 08:51 AM UTC
Can I ask you a question? Was ALAN model company in your city? If so, what became of it. The fellow that ran it was an old pen friend of mine years ago. We corresponded for a while and then he stopped sending me letters. He did send me some free samples of his first kits that his company released. Just curious.

Regards,

Ray
Neonik
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 08:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Can I ask you a question? Was ALAN model company in your city? If so, what became of it. The fellow that ran it was an old pen friend of mine years ago. We corresponded for a while and then he stopped sending me letters. He did send me some free samples of his first kits that his company released. Just curious.

Regards,

Ray

Of course. Yes, Alan was in my city. I don't know what had happened with it but all their products now belong to another manufacturer - ARK models from Moscow. Maybe Alan didn't survive in crisis or maybe they moved away to Moscow and changed brand name.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 09:15 PM UTC
I am impressed with your work Artyom! This is a small kit and the PE detail work is even smaller.

I would like to get one and yours is the motivation to make it happen!

Thanks for all those great close-up pictures too!

~ Jeff
research1
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 01:50 AM UTC
Thanks for the information about Alan. I heard a rumor that the molds were now sold by ARK, and you have confirmed that for me. The fellow that ran Alan was named Alan. I think his last name was Volinski??? He once sent me a model of the Aurora, which he told me was a floating museum there.

Cheers,

Ray
Neonik
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 03:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am impressed with your work Artyom! This is a small kit and the PE detail work is even smaller.

I would like to get one and yours is the motivation to make it happen!

Thanks for all those great close-up pictures too!

~ Jeff

Hello Jeff! Thank you! I am building smaller model in parallel, so it is quite easy to deal with K-Mi after Renault. In spite of all mistakes, this is a good kit (kit without pontoons better,less mistakes). Sadly but I can't fix all the problems. They demand much more skill and materials.
Neonik
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 03:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the information about Alan. I heard a rumor that the molds were now sold by ARK, and you have confirmed that for me. The fellow that ran Alan was named Alan. I think his last name was Volinski??? He once sent me a model of the Aurora, which he told me was a floating museum there.

Cheers,

Ray

Sorry I don't know his name. I prefer to build Prewar models and Allied vehicles,sometimes Axis, but not German. So I have missed all this story, because Alan has produced Germans tanks and guns in 1/35.
Aurora is a legendary battleship in our country. Now it is a monument, which stands near Naval school. Some photos.

research1
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 07:16 AM UTC
Beautiful pictures of Aurora. I grew up in Philadelphia and visited the Olympia ship in the Deleware river there several times. It is currently in trouble due to deterioration and rust. Same era as the Aurora.

I do WWI & WWII A,F,V,'s of all combatants. Most unique ones I have are Hungarian WWII tanks & a armored car by Hungarian resin firm BOTOND, I don't do yanks from after 1945.

Regards,

Ray
Neonik
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 03:56 AM UTC
Hello everyone! After a great pause I continued my work. I have decided to make new welds on a whole hull. In the kit welds are resized.

Hatches are almost ready (hatches,holders,fixers). Fixers from Voyager are incorrect. They are too thin.

Also I have made hook to fix the hatch of engine bay in open position.

To be continued.
Neonik
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 11:57 PM UTC
Very little progress.
I have modified small hatch in opened position.

The work with schnorchel has begun.
Neonik
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 08:03 PM UTC
Hello! Schnorchel has been installed.

Some fresh added details.

Exhaust. I have reworked it's holders and pipe.

TMikeCurry
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 09:23 AM UTC
Very impressive work. I'm looking forward to following how this one turns out! --Lurking and watching--
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 10:02 AM UTC
Nice work, looking forward to seeing it completed.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 10:11 AM UTC
Very nice build ... great attention to the details.
 _GOTOTOP