_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
North Africa Ruin & SdKfz 222
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 - 06:11 AM UTC
I guys last month I pulled some kits out of the stash to keep me busy and decided to build a DAK diorama. I started with a Mini-Art North Africa Ruins House
Photobucket
Then I build a Tamiya SdKfz222 to go with it
Photobucket
I figured I would use a piece of 1/4 inch plywood for the base
Photobucket
And I had this guy and dog leftover from the Desert fox campaign
Photobucket
Then I thought that my MB Wagen from the Technical Campaign would go nice to
Photobucket
The Tamiya kit came with most of this equipment
Photobucket
And a MC and rider
Photobucket
the MC still needs to be painted
Photobucket
I tried some paint chipping for the 1st time on the 222
Photobucket
And also added some additional storage and pick ax that was in the spare parts box
Photobucket
I still need to add some weathering to the whole scene, my question is does the scene look too cluttered with the MB Truck
Comments, criticism and suggestions are more then welcome
Apollo11
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 71 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 - 08:54 AM UTC
Hi Sal,
You may be right about the cluttering, I would use just one vehicle as the focal point of the dio. The miniart house ruin paint job looks ok but I suspect needs some additional weathering, try some pastel chalks on the brickwork & scuff marks on any surfaces that get touched or walked upon. Multiple vehicle dioramas usually need larger bases so it's easy to clutter things up. I like the idea & the impression that the figures are having some off time.

Cheers Sal!
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 443 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 - 07:10 PM UTC
I think that you could have all the vehicles on here , at the moment though they are all seperate things sharing a base. Maybe if you tried the following you could link them together.
Remove the gunner from the back of the truck, his line of sight is blocked by the building and his field of fire is very poor. Having nobody in the truck has it parked by the building. Put the guy eating with his dog next to the front of the truck and there is your driver. Spread some eating/drinking stuff on the front bumpers and that explains why he is stood there.
Remove the fuel from the front of the building and put the bike by the wall minus its rider. Add some signage to the door,this gives the building a purpose and explains why the truck and the bike are there. Maybe have a box or two stacked by the door if there is room, indicating a store?
Position the 222 at a different angle so it doesnt look like it will crash into the truck but will instead drive of the front cornerm maybe add some tracks to show other vehicles past through. Add the guy pointing and talking to the crew and if there is room put the fuel in the other front corner, the guy could be pointing to this.
This works in my mind but its hard to say without having the actual items at hand.
Cheers
Robbo.
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2012 - 07:54 PM UTC
Hi Sal,

Just a slight tweak on Remearmr's idea,how about changing the head on the mc rider & have him talking to the "new driver" eatting. Then you could have the 222 coming past but in the opposite direction with the guy on the turret then looking back at the other guys & the dog. Just an idea??

I also think losing the gunner & adding some pigments / pastels to the house & maybe redo the bricks in slighty differing shades of reds & or greys to create slightly different take??

Looking good tho

Cheers Mike
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 02:35 AM UTC
Thanks for all the suggestions and thoughts it really helps to get some honest views other than it looks good to me
The cluttered idea came from this photo where you have vehicles heading in 2 different directions
Photobucket
My other thoughts were that the MB Truck and the 222 were just coming back to refuel and a quick brake, with the MC rider pulling up to let everyone know that they have to get a move on shnell
So I think I will turn the MB truck around so the driver is eating by the driver side door. The gunner is drinking from a canteen. Some signage I will have to look for and I do have some food stores in the stash that I can add And like I said it still needs more weathering

Thanks again guys
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2012 - 06:52 AM UTC
Sal: I think the comments are good. Think about making a specific activity the focus, such as eating.

Happy Modeling, -zon
 _GOTOTOP