_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Trumpeter Sd.Kfz.8 DB10 Gepanzerte 12t
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 01:45 PM UTC
Well off I go, last month I reviewed this fine kit, now it is time for the fun, lets build it.

Again opening the box I am awed at the number of parts. So on to step one building the gear box and the Maybach HL 85 enigne. Then engine detail out of the box in incredible, but it screams SUPER detail me. BUT, one thing Trumpeter forgot to include in this kit is the radiator. Now other then from the bottom you would not see the radiator and engine, and unless you left the top open you would not see the engine. So decisions, do I make some sort of fascade of a radiator to super detail the engine, or just close the hatches and let be? I have been finding it hard to find images of the radiator as mounted in a Sd.Kfz.8.

So with that assembly moving along, and to give me time to make a decision, thought I would start on the frame. The main frame pieces will need to be sanded to remove the mold line, and I decided against file ejector marks as they won't be seen. Step 3 does not show the proper placement the B15/C6 parts onto the frame, so just watch for it.

Well time to step away for a bit, but I will be back again with the next build installment.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 01:57 PM UTC
I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't seen any of these beasts built online yet. Good luck with the kit, looks fun.
Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 367 posts
Armorama: 326 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 03:29 PM UTC
Your title says "DML". That really through me off.

Anyways, looks fun.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2012 - 03:46 PM UTC
Hi Kevin,

Im looking forward to this build. I really like the looks of the vehicle and will follow close to see how she goes together. Then i might know to put on the Christmas list or not. Good luck man!

Gary
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 - 10:21 AM UTC
Alright, back to work. With the engine complete, and still no photos of a radiator, I went to work on the ladder frame. Here everything goes together well.

I added the exhaust manifolds at the same time as the exhaust pipes, for me I found it easier.

The rear frame plate and trailer hitch are almost like a little mine kit. Very well detailed, I was very impressed. I left the tow pin out, just in case I want to have it towing something later.

I found it much easier to put parts A12 and A13 in after the plate was on.

The way I see things going, is I will most likely leave the frame off the vehicle for ease of painting. So I beleive next will be the front steering and suspension and the running gear. Stay tuned.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 - 10:44 AM UTC
Hi Kevin,

Looking good man! Nice SBS pics too. Keep the goods coming Kevin.

Gary
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2012 - 10:52 AM UTC
Ola Kevin

I have been thinking several times of buying this vehicle. Because it looks like an oddity. I had never heard of it before Trumpeter came out with it. But So far I haven't bought it. Your built log might actually convince me of parting with some money. I will follow closely.

So far it looks pretty good. Looking forward to the rest,

With friendly greetings

Robert Blokker
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 01:54 PM UTC
Still working on the under carriage, well I think I am done now...

Noticed after I took the pic, forgot to clean up a seam, but will get back to it.

Rounding the PE was fun for the rim, but well worth the look.

One issue I found was the little nibs on the bottom of side stowage bins, N27, don't match up with holes in fender, so I found it easier just to sand them off, and attach.

So the beast is heading down to the airbrush booth with the road wheels for a coat of primer. I am also going to prime the bottom of the upper hull. My plan at this time is leave the engine compartment German Red Primer, as I have not found any color pictures of the inside of the engine compartment.

So on the next part of the build, soon I hope.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 03:49 AM UTC
Looking good, Kevin, keep up the hard work!
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 04:03 AM UTC
Hi Kevin,

Looking good man! Thanks for posting an SBS for those who will definatly follow your lead after watching this build. Me being one of the many. I really want this kit!

Gary
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 05:16 AM UTC
I'm really surprised to see it molded in that tan color, like Tamiya often does. Usually they are a light gray much like DML has.

And, this having an engine and trans unit. Pretty cool!

~ Jeff
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 01:51 PM UTC
Sorry it has been a while, a big KV-2 kind of got in my way for bit. But I am back to it,

The frame is together, after being primed with Vallejo Red Brown, I painted it with Vallejo Air Dark Yellow. I am really thinking it is a little more green then I like, but I am hoping to down it down a little with some color modulation later.

Then onto the interior, it is really starting to take shape. I had a little issue with fit on the raised driving platform, but if you glue the step to the main floor first, once it dries you can position the front against firewall.

On Step 14 of the instructions, a piece is not labelled.

So I hunted through the sprues and it looks like part L5 is the unlabelled piece.

It should also be noted the some of tabs that go into the floor are little long and need to be sanded down for great fit.

A little modification on the tank that sit in front of the passenger seat on the right, the tube was molded on, and not to my liking.

So a little cutting, drilling and Plastruct rod, and voila, better looking pipe.

I can only presume this tank would be for water, as it is in the driver compartment. I would presume to allow the water cooling system to be topped up.

Well work is continuing in the interior, hope to have another update soon.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 02:11 PM UTC
Hello Kevin,

Welcome back to tha Gepanzerte! Looking forward to see you bring this one to life. Looking good man!
It does look very green Kevin, But im sure youll set it right.

Gary
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 02:06 PM UTC
Still working, starting to run out of parts, so that is a good thing.

The interior is starting to come together, I have not glue in the seat or above seat bins for ease of painting. This has been going together great, no issues found so far.

I move to the exterior to start getting some of those parts on. Watch when drilling holes for exterior handles and stowage, the marks are raised plastic on the upper hull, and they are not easy to see. A good light and angling the model a bit will show them off.

And for those following last post, I found the issue with the "greenish" dark yellow. Vallejo Air sells two Dark Yellows, one is Panzer Yellow 1943(has the greenish color)and Dark Yellow. So I will over spray what has been painted, should create great shadows and continue with the second Dark Yellow.

So a few more parts then off to the paint shop for primer and base coat.
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - 03:16 PM UTC
Looking great Kevin. And thanks for the heads up on the 2 Vallejo paints, I was going to say that color looks much different than the one I have...didn't realize they sold the "1943" one
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 02:20 PM UTC
Stuff is starting to come out of the paint shop, mostly interior work now, and I have the right paint now.

So interior primed and given first coat of Vallejo Air Dark Yellow. I wanted to give the seats a worn look, so after first coat, I painted on some wood using Vallejo paints and stains. Once this was dry I used AK Interactive Worn Effects. I brushed it on, two coats, then airbrushed base color again. Wetting the area I used a stiff brush to remove some of the paint.

Here is the look just before I applying Worn Effect.

With base coat on, I started weathering the interior as I start the assembly part.

I should let you know I am a big fan of True Earth Weathering products. They are so easy to use.

And for those in N. America there is no issues having them shipped from Italy, takes about a week and a half.

So I will continue with interior.....as the saga goes....
robw_uk
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,224 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 08:16 PM UTC
very nice work... lots of detail and great care in getting it just right
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 08:07 AM UTC
Well I think the interior is done, after adding a little detail before I add the top. The interior was painted using Vallejo Dark Yellow, with chipping done with a mix of Vallejo German Grey and True Earth Chipping. True Earth Fading and Aging was then applied, with final washes of Mig Dark and Rust washes.

The "bits and pieces" came from my spare boxes, with some Tamiya German Weapons.

Now on to complete the exterior build and primer.
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 08:34 AM UTC
Nice job so far Kevin!
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,980 posts
Armorama: 1,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 07:04 PM UTC
Looks good so far Kevin.

Did you ever come up with info on the soft top you were looking for?
darreng
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 789 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2012 - 09:01 PM UTC
Very nice. I will have to get one of these. As I love German semi-tracks
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 02:00 AM UTC
Putting the top on there was a couple of fitting issues, even though I dry fitted as I went. As for the top, I could not find any clear pictures of the top, so I "guessed" it would be similar to the 251.

So after some sanding, I will continue on exterior detail.

BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2012 - 04:29 AM UTC
Kevin, the interior looks awesome man! Well done.

Gary
SgtRam
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2012 - 11:57 AM UTC
Starting to get closer to heading off to the paint shop. It is really coming together now, and it is a real enjoyable build.

The inside of the rear mud flaps had a couple of ejector marks, easily handled with a little putty.

When installing the rear step, there two little mark for location, I found it better to drill the hole just a little deeper for better adhesion.

There is an error omission in the instruction, there are two brackets that should be attached to the driver side, the location marks are on the molding and the pieces are PE, but no where in the instructions does it tell you to attach.

The rest is going together very well.

You can see, that I found something to tow, while not an 88mm, for me it will suffice. The plan is to leave the rear doors and the one side hatch open. Probably throw some 2cm ammo boxes in just to make it looked used.

c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2012 - 01:21 PM UTC
Nice to see this one built Kevin. Really like the metal hoops
 _GOTOTOP