_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman V build log
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How about the three grease holes along the top of the part with the central pivots for the bogey arms?

Those aren't grease holes - every grease lubrication point used a Zerk fitting. These features were added by the bogie manufacturer to facilitate tapping the three stud holes at the bottom of the bracket - they just drilled the holes deeper and they broke out through the surface of the casting. Usually they were filled with body putty and painted over. The breakouts are normally only visible on surviving tanks. (I guess the putty wasn't good for a 60 year life!)

Woody is the one to thank for the detail sets, he developed the process for us hobbyists. And as we all know, the best way to thank a business is by buying more product!

KL
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 05:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Usually they were filled with body putty and painted over. The breakouts are normally only visible on surviving tanks.

For some reason I'm not able to edit the previous post . . .

I checked some photos, and the holes are more common than I'd thought, so I would fall back on the old "check photographs of similar vehicles".

KL
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 05:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Doesn't the old DML M4A4 have some serious dimensional issues with an overly long engine deck?

It wasn't the deck/upper hull, but the lower hull. See Mike Canaday's article here . The later orange box release has a corrected lower hull I believe, it's just the original releases you have to watch out for.

Jim
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2012 - 06:00 AM UTC
The dimensional issues of DML's Firefly kits were associated with kits 6031 and 6121. They were corrected on Kit 6121 and after. The Cyberhobby kit is based on Kit 6121 and has the correct hull length dimensions.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 05:19 AM UTC
Not meaning to sound harshly critical, Kurt, but why didn't you use some AM PE and Formations details. Formations has a really excellent Sherman tool set with moulded-on straps and buckles.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 07:25 AM UTC
Hi Biggles! Hadn't expected any action on this thread after so long...

The build was mine (not Kurt's), and I didn't use much AM because I rarely do. (I've yet to lay hands on a Formations tool set!) I like the challenge of using kit parts and left-overs from the spares box - it's part of the "play value" of the hobby for me. As for PE, I just don't get along with it very well. Sure, sometimes it can be useful, but all too often I find it a bit too fiddly and fragile.

By the way, for anyone still looking, I passed the model to a friend for painting (long story) and really ought to see how he's got on! Meantime I'm contemplating another build based either on the Tasca kit or (gasp!) the old MP Authen-I-Kit hull...

Tom
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
Armorama: 772 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2012 - 01:01 PM UTC
Tom;
Great log. Love the build, and choice of Sherman. It's refreshing to see a Sherman V, other than a Firefly. Excellent job on the DV mod. Looks very good in completion. All the little details you added complete the finished Mk well. I too concur, that Archer's Sherman casting data is the
best new addition for Shermaholics. I agree he SHOULD DEFINITELY do more. HINT HINT!!!
All in all, a fine build of the M4A4. The prize Winner should
be proud.
PS: Good details added to the bogies as well.
Cheers. Todd
Shermania
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 531 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 - 11:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Biggles! Hadn't expected any action on this thread after so long...

The build was mine (not Kurt's), and I didn't use much AM because I rarely do. (I've yet to lay hands on a Formations tool set!) I like the challenge of using kit parts and left-overs from the spares box - it's part of the "play value" of the hobby for me. As for PE, I just don't get along with it very well. Sure, sometimes it can be useful, but all too often I find it a bit too fiddly and fragile.

By the way, for anyone still looking, I passed the model to a friend for painting (long story) and really ought to see how he's got on! Meantime I'm contemplating another build based either on the Tasca kit or (gasp!) the old MP Authen-I-Kit hull...

Tom

Hi Tom,

Any news on Your build? Itching to see how it turned out. I too am getting to a point where I'll do anything to avoid non plastic building materialls, it's PLASTIC modelling, right? Vey inspirational stuff for styrene head such as myself.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 - 10:00 PM UTC
Hi Pedro,

Sadly, no news to report. When I finished the build I passed it to a friend to paint, but that was months ago and so far he hasn't got back to me. (Long story, but as it was a club project I agreed to let it go rather than paint it myself. I am thinking of doing a second model for my own collection...)

Tom
 _GOTOTOP