_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Armor of the American Civil War campaign idea
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 12:55 AM UTC
So for years I've had this idea of doing an Armor of the American Civil War collection. You know:

M3 Lee
M3 Grant
M3 Stuart
M4 Sherman
M36 Jackson
M551 Sheridan

When I first started collecting, Tamiya was pretty much the only game in town for almost all the models, but in the past several years Academy, AFV Club, Dragon, and Tasca have come to the rescue.

Anyway, given that we're in the midst of the 150th anniversary of the War Between the States, I thought this might be a good idea for a campaign. One of the above named vehicles (or others carrying an official name linked to the Civil War that I may not know about). Any county of operation, any configuration (so long as it's still known by that name), any scale, etc. Looking at starting beginning of next year, going for a full year?

Running it up the flag pole to see who'll salute!

Michael
thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 448 posts
Armorama: 306 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 01:40 AM UTC
Neat idea. I'm definitely in.

Jeff
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 02:33 AM UTC
This is not what I was expecting to see. If it's a full year starting next year then I'm in.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 - 04:12 AM UTC
This happens to be the theme for the 2013 AMPS National Show in April. I will be starting my project soon, so it won't fit in with your schedule.
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 03:59 PM UTC
Hi Michael,

When I first looked at the title I thought what sort or armour did they have in the US civil war lol. I know you said could be used in an operation & anytime, I am aussuming that also means by any country of use?? As I know my home country of New Zealand used them & could be a good fit for me. specially as we were with you guys at Monte Cassino

Cheers Mike
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 12:14 AM UTC
Yeah Michael, when I saw this I thought that maybe you ment artillery of the Civil War, but being you mean generals, well then I'm in I have my 3rd Sherman kit inbound now but that is for the Only Sherman campaign so I will have to find something I never built a Grant
Time period works for me as well
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 02:59 AM UTC
Absolutely I mean all nationalities as well! I kind of thought the title would be clever, but perhaps it's too clever. I may be missing people who see that and won't look further to find out what it means. Should I call it something else?

I didn't know about the Sherman campaign. I hope I'm not infringing on someone else's territory!

Michael
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 10:07 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

I think you maybe missing a few people, to be honest I nearly flicked by when I first saw it as I couldn't think what armour was used in the civil war. It was curiousity that caught my attention, maybe change the title to armour named after civil war heros??

Mike
MichaelSatin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 01:07 PM UTC
OK everyone, I've started a new thread here called "Armor Named for the American Civil War" in an attempt to deal with the possibly confusing name of this thread. Please post your interest there so I only have to keep track of one!

Thanks for your understanding!

Michael
 _GOTOTOP