_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
New from Tamiya?
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 10:25 AM UTC
Tamiya has listed some new releases for July on their website, and I will let you determine if they are really new.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 10:45 AM UTC
The LRDG kit is their old kit from the 70's with the Italaeri Breda. The SAS jeep is not the old Tamiya kit - but it may be the Italaeri "Commando Car" of similar vintage. The Russians look new - does the insert imply PE shoulder straps & medals? Don't know about the two German figures...
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 11:03 AM UTC
The German officer looks familar, just can't place the set. Agree with you Steve on your comments about the rest. Nothing really new (except the Russians) unless the kubul wagon is a new piece all together, which I doubt. And the L.R.D.G. set has been out awhile too. And when I built it years ago, it did not take long for the tires to split fromm side to side, problem with the styrene and the chemicals that the rubber tires were made from, so A.M. tires would be a must unless they took care of that problem. Still, all in all, it's nice for the L.R.D.G. truck to be around again, it built up nice for the era it came out.
captnenglish
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 12:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The LRDG kit is their old kit from the 70's with the Italaeri Breda. The SAS jeep is not the old Tamiya kit - but it may be the Italaeri "Commando Car" of similar vintage. The Russians look new - does the insert imply PE shoulder straps & medals? Don't know about the two German figures...

Agreed. Oh and the wehrmacht officer looks to be from one of their German vehicles from the '70s too. I do like the Russian dudes though, but suspect they are from zvezda and not new tamiya figures.
Scouteyes
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 12:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh and the wehrmacht officer looks to be from one of their German vehicles from the '70s too. I do like the Russian dudes though, but suspect they are from zvezda and not new tamiya figures.

The German Officer is from the old Schwimmwagen kit, # MM103.
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 03:50 PM UTC
The Jeep is the Italeri "Commando Car" with the Churchill figures and a sprue from the "Allied Vehicles Accessories Set", the Kubel is the Tamiya Kubel with the ICM Soviet Staff set, the LRDG truck is a re-release of last year's "Limited Edition". All of them in their own right are reasonably good kits so makes for some good combos I reckon. Still currently the only NWE SAS/Airborne jeep availalbe even if it does require a bit of tweaking.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 06:08 PM UTC
Glad to see the re-release of the 30cwt LRDG chevy. There are resin options for the tires and Resicast are working on some neat fixees for the kit, so more options there too.

I picked up the old Italeri Commando Car about 2 weeks ago for £8.00 so I'll not be going with this version.

Both kits will build up well with a bit of TLC and if I remember correctly the Kubblewagon was quite a good kit too.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 07:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Jeep is the Italeri "Commando Car" with the Churchill figures and a sprue from the "Allied Vehicles Accessories Set", the Kubel is the Tamiya Kubel with the ICM Soviet Staff set, the LRDG truck is a re-release of last year's "Limited Edition". All of them in their own right are reasonably good kits so makes for some good combos I reckon. Still currently the only NWE SAS/Airborne jeep availalbe even if it does require a bit of tweaking.

Hi Dean,

Resicast make excellent Airborne conversions for the Tamiya Willys MB Jeep.

Al
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 08:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Dean,

Resicast make excellent Airborne conversions for the Tamiya Willys MB Jeep.

Al

Yeah that's true, I'd forgotten about those.
leviman
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 - 09:02 PM UTC
The German officer looks like the figure from the '70s Kubel. and Schwimm. kits.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 01:50 AM UTC
Quick, last chance to sell those LRDG Chevy's on ebay for silly money, a few weeks back they were going for up to £70-£80, prices have tailed off a bit now.

iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 02:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quick, last chance to sell those LRDG Chevy's on ebay for silly money, a few weeks back they were going for up to £70-£80, prices have tailed off a bit now.

Ha Ha. I remember a certain crook selling Tamiya Brewster Buffalos at ridiculous prices back in the 80's because 'the molds have been lost/damaged'. Then Tamiya reissued the kit.......last time I saw the guy was at a model show in london.........he was sporting a black eye.....I wonder why?
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 06:16 AM UTC
I'm no expert about all that is available and the difference between this kit and that kit, but what I would like to see is for Tamiya to quit making such stiff looking figures and to do a little better on the hands and make them look more natural and not like some mannequin in a museum. I do like their model kits though.

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 06:36 AM UTC
For those interested in the LRDG Chevy, keep an eye on Resicast. Graham has some new items on the market now see here:

http://www.resicast.com/

Also in the pipe line some headsets, 4 more figures and a range of stowage and update sets.

A total of 5 stowage sets for the LRDG chevy soon to be re-released by Tamiya.

The first will be for the Tamiya kit as it is: a radio truck. This will however be an early version with typical UK items of that time (Lewis Guns,Flimsies,etc.

The second stowage set will be for the Breda gun truck (gun on cargo bed, not towed).

These are to eb followed bythree more stowage sets: a late version of the radio truck with late stowage (US /UK jerrycan, .50 guns and so forth) and a early (UK stowage) and late v (US stowage) of the basic vehicle.

There is also a neat set of wheels should you just need to repalce the Tamiya tires.

Al
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 517 posts
Armorama: 290 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 - 06:29 PM UTC
Rehashing their back catalogue kits and relying on other companies' releases seems to be the Tamiya Way now, which is unfortunate. They do seem to have dropped several bundles along the way, failing to capitalise on the Char B for instance, when there are a heap of early war French AFVs to model. The releases are, as observed, fairly vintage, but the Italerei SAS Jeep 'Commando Car' was a sweet little kit in the day - there are upgrades to bring the base Jeep kit up a few notches, which would help.

The Officer and DAK figures are the really interesting ones - yes, they're familiar, because they're available in 1/16 scale.

Tamiya have done this before - you might have seen these around the hobby store, little white boxes with two usually unrelated 1/35 scale figures. One of the previous offerings was Rommel coupled with the Stg44 Winter Infantryman, and another had a more useful Panzer Officer and MG42 Gunner. These white box figures are the best Tamiya 35th scale figures ever - okay, that's a sitting target, look at the Churchill Crocodile dudes with the SAS Jeep...

The white box 35th scale figures follow the breakdown of the larger scale figures, meaning they're plenty detailed. Some attention to goodies on these figures will pay off. Grab 'em if you see 'em, I will and I'm not even modelling again yet.

acav out
 _GOTOTOP