_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
sherman headlight guards again
praggio
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 - 01:24 AM UTC
has anybody used the 5 speed photo etch workstation to form the headlight guards on a 1/35 sherman? The instructions say this tool will do the job, but they do not explain how. Also why does no company produce the headlight guards in thin resin or supply them pre formed as at least one company produces the shermans periscope guards preformed.
Many thanks,
Paul
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 - 01:34 AM UTC
Tasca includes a former in some of their Sherman kits. All you do is press the PE to that. How can a thin, fragile resin part be an improvement on that?
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 - 01:59 AM UTC
There are round form things on the five speed if I recal correctly. A Japanese brand called kamikazuri makes pre formed brush guards made from paper. I don't know where you could buy them but try can be seen here http://www.tasca-modellismo.com/english/item4.html
Grindcore
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 - 02:41 AM UTC

Here are some white metal ones that I think I saw here on armorama a few months ago.

http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/katalog/en/135-Military/Accessories-135-scale/Periscope-Covers-for-US-Tanks-Sherman-Pershing-Stuart-etc::7133.html
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 - 05:13 AM UTC
I don't know if you're the same guy I said this to before, but if I did, here it it is again. If not, then you may want to try this.
Cement the plastic kit guards in place. Let them cure well. Now thin out the guards with a sharp X-Acto blade. It's easy, looks great, and costs nothing.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 - 09:37 AM UTC
I have some of the kamikazuri engine grilles but they don't make any headlight guards for Shermans. They make them for M5A1s -- but they don't look right. IMHO.

Also, Jimmy: you've cited the periscope guards. OP was wondering about headlight guards. They do look interesting though.
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 - 09:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have some of the kamikazuri engine grilles but they don't make any headlight guards for Shermans.

M4 light brush guards are in fact listed as the last item in the "vehicle detail sets" catagory in the link I posted before. Weather or not they are cruelly made/ available is not something I know. I will agree with you in that to my eye the grain of the paper makes them look less than convincing. But still, they may be a viable option for some
 _GOTOTOP