Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 03:16 PM UTC
To all the NATO and IDF experts
I'm trying to find the right sand size to create the anti-slip coating
here is my result
2012-08-21 22.31.59

for the anti slip sand I used fine grinded silica sand from my lab where I work =)
the size I use is +215 micron - 300 micron sand, but I have silica sand for size down to 38 micron, i think they are good for NATO anti slip?
38 micron scale up 35 times is about 1.3 mm, anyone knows the size of anti-slip used on Abrams and Strykers?

Back to the model, the chunk of agglomerate was my 1st try, where I mixed the silica sand with Future and it became large chunk
the 2nd try I sprinkled the sand on a wet layer of Future

Anyone think the sand size is good for scale?
I dunno what is the sand size applied on Merkava and Abrams
Thanks!
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 07:27 PM UTC
Vincent looks go to me have you try white glue ?? that is what i'm going to use on my meng
dave
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 - 08:43 PM UTC
I don't know what is the exact size. Anyway there are lots of pics that you can use as references

Merkava

Abrams

entlim
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 156 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 01:20 AM UTC
you may wish to try embossing powder...that's pretty fine, similar in grade to Cast-a - coat
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 01:34 AM UTC
Why don't manufactures just mold this on,like the Dragon pre-zimmed offerings ?
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 597 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 01:55 AM UTC
I just want to know why the hell a Ferrari is parked next to a USMC Abrams?

Oh, and I would suggest Rust-O-Leum texture spray paint. The fineness of the texture works well for 1/35 armor. Plus you can mask it off to get the anti-slip walkways right.

Oh, and Tony, Showcase Models Australia molded on their anti-skid on the Bushmaster. It looks ok, but I think it's a bit thick and overscale, but I'd need to see a good picture of an actual vehicle before saying definitively so.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 02:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just want to know why the hell a Ferrari is parked next to a USMC Abrams?

Oh, and I would suggest Rust-O-Leum texture spray paint. The fineness of the texture works well for 1/35 armor. Plus you can mask it off to get the anti-slip walkways right.

Oh, and Tony, Showcase Models Australia molded on their anti-skid on the Bushmaster. It looks ok, but I think it's a bit thick and overscale, but I'd need to see a good picture of an actual vehicle before saying definitively so.

Yes,and i have seen a lot of Merkava,s where it's overscaled,looks like a beach !!.So I guess it just takes practice.
vahleof
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 02:58 AM UTC
[quote]I don't know what is the exact size. Anyway there are lots of pics that you can use as references

Merkava

Thanks Mauro, that's some very nice pictures
I didnt know that on Abrams the anti-slip is so sparsely applied

Anyone happen to know the size of that Merkava bolt in the picture? I could size down to guesstimate the size of sand grain and scale down from here
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 04:18 AM UTC
Vincent;

Given as you have determined that the 38 micron grit is equivalent to ca 1.33mm grain in 1/35, I would be starting with that stuff and contemplating going to something even smaller!

From the many posted "real surface" pictures, I would guess that the pictured painted-over grain is probably well within that 1.3mm size.

The other thing I note is that the application on the real thing appears to be fairly sparse - one of the biggest quibbles I have with most builds where folks have added non-skid is that the added stuff looks way too thick and clumpy- and often distractingly-so. So, from where I sit, a thinner, single-grain depth and smaller grain size could be all good!

I'm pretty much a WWII Axis builder - the modern non-skid issue is similar to DIY zimmerit applied to 1/35 plastic panzers. The real stuff was actually applied in a layer maybe 20 - 35mm thick, including its sterotypical ridge-and-valley surface topography. So a scale "zimm" coat should come in at somewhere between 0.5 and 1.0mm - which is pretty small (but 10+ times as thick as what you want!). It's pretty challenging for folks applying various putty and paste layers to plastic panzers to keep it both thin and consistently so! I can sympathize!

I'd consider a thin wash of dilute white glue or maybe even a slightly thick base paint coat as the wet base, and lightly sprinkle the grit on and dump the axcess off. Maybe do a quick second dusting and dump to get a few spots filled in? Follow with a light spray of base color to fix the surface and color your grit. I'd follow this with a bit of brushing with a dry brush to kick off build-up and thicker patches when all is dry? It seems to me that the trick is to get the grit stuck down with the thinnest coat possible, so that you mostly avoid filling detail and creating an overly-thick total paint-and-non-skid coating.

Just a suggestion, of course!

Bob
vahleof
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 04:52 AM UTC
[quote]Given as you have determined that the 38 micron grit is equivalent to ca 1.33mm grain in 1/35, I would be starting with that stuff and contemplating going to something even smaller!

Thanks for your input Bob
yeah these grains on the photo seems pretty small for me, specially these on the Abrams, certainly looks like in the 1~2mm range
however 38microns silica sand, because of its tiny size, it's almost flour like and agglomerate quick easier
I will try with 38 micron tonight to see how it looks on Abrams
Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 04:53 AM UTC
...this is my way to solve the anti-slip-problem: Badger aluminum oxide abrasive on wet, waterthinned Tamiya paint and - after drying - fixed with a very very thin cement:

Michael
BigSmitty
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 597 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 05:15 AM UTC
Michael

I would love to get a better idea of how exactly you laid down the anti-slip. That looks as realistic as a 1:1 representation, right down to the uneven coating (not to be taken as the wrong application) and the edges being rough and not "taped off", just as they are on the real thing. Fantastic!
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 05:26 AM UTC
Vincent;

Michael B.'s approach is pretty much what I think of - apply a wet base coat, add grit, spray a fix layer (he offers cement - maybe good! In either case, it will get another fix coat when he, or you, apply your hull base-coat.) Aand his result is pretty nice.

Try your next experiment(s) on the bottom of the hull or somewhere else - a sheet of styrene, etc., to work out your favored approach and dosage.

IF you find your grit is pretty fine-seeming and clumpy powder, work up a little to some larger size. The thing which I find works with powdering stuff onto a tank (I apply dust and dirt this way when I cannot brush it on, as in around smaller detail bits) is to put a small amount of the grit onto a piece of stiff paper or foil which has been folded into a trough, and Blow the stuff across the desired location and wet surface, and then dump the excess off. You should get little or no clumping.

Of course you will do this under your paint-hood and use a gentle puff only, yes?

Cheers!

Bob
vahleof
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 02:44 PM UTC
3rd try
this time with -150 to +100 micron silica sand
applied with thumb and finger on wet Future
2012-08-22 22.35.27
38 micron sand are really flour or powder like
Is this too coarse? Just right? or too small for IDF? what about for Abrams?
any input is really appreaciated
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 04:32 PM UTC
Vincent;

Hi!

The grain looks pretty nice. It does look a little bit thick - maybe you can brush some off and thin your coat down a little. It will look pretty nice with a thin coat of paint over it, IMO! I think you just about got it!

Bob
Jockbw
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 05:58 PM UTC
Tamiya scenics sand "paint" is just about perfect IMHO.

It has the added benefit, that errors can be carefully scrapped away once dried...
juljon
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 74 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 07:04 PM UTC
HI,

I found that ground cinnamon is perfect for the IDF Merkavas.
first I paint on grey matt acrylic paint let it dry then I use diluted PVA glue and sprinkle the ground cinnamon over it tap off the excess and blow dry with hair drier. It works a treat, and it is non toxic.

Regards

Julian
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 08:11 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

I don't know what is the exact size. Anyway there are lots of pics that you can use as references

Merkava

Thanks Mauro, that's some very nice pictures
I didnt know that on Abrams the anti-slip is so sparsely applied

Anyone happen to know the size of that Merkava bolt in the picture? I could size down to guesstimate the size of sand grain and scale down from here

Here the complete walkaround

http://dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=781

I'm still collecting references about the 3D version. It isn't so easy anyway

Here some other great reference pics

http://www.idf-modelling.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3118

As you can notice, Merkava anti slip surface looks quite rough

I was thinking to use baking soda, mineral sand , or Polyfilla putty

I haven't decided yet. It seems to me that also the Tamiya diorama texture paint would work perfectly (morover it would be maybe the easiest way to do this job)

http://www.idf-modelling.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=3269

However, your third attempt looks quite convincing and Michael's method looks great indeed

Cheers
cabasner
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,083 posts
Armorama: 1,014 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 06:27 AM UTC
Older thread I know, but...

I am a total novice regarding anti-slip, but I've purchased a whole bunch of different materials to try to get it 'right' on various tanks. I am impressed with Michael B's use of the Badger Aluminum Oxide power, which I have as well. I found, when doing tests, that that powder can go on quite thick, so I'd caution anyone using it about that. Also, it is, by its nature, absolutely uniform in size of particles, so if your desire is some level of variation in the 'stones', this MAY not be the right stuff for you. All that said, however, it is great stuff that applies easily. I'd suggest a very gentle application such as has been suggested, something like blowing the powder over a sticky surface. Of course, you need to be careful with this stuff. I don't know to what degree it is harmful to humans and pets, but at the very least, it's really messy!

I think the suggested method of using thinned paint should work well. When I did my testing, I used Mr. Surfacer 1000, heavily diluted with alcohol, and it held the powder onto the plastic really well. The advantage of using Mr. Surfacer is the fact that it settles so perfectly, with no loss of surface detail. I use Tamiya paint all the time, too, but in this case, the Mr. Surfacer i think may be a better choice. Just my $0.02, of course, and I'd do some testing on your own to see if one or the other works better for you! Good luck!!
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 - 08:42 AM UTC
I am sold on Rustoleum's Terra Cotta textured spray paint. Looks the part for US non-skid and perhaps soem may say that is is too fine of a texture for the Israeli version of non-skid but I used it on my Meng Merka MK3D anyway. It looks the part to me, when scale distances are factored in...

John

srmalloy
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 336 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 - 09:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Michael B.'s approach is pretty much what I think of - apply a wet base coat, add grit, spray a fix layer (he offers cement - maybe good! In either case, it will get another fix coat when he, or you, apply your hull base-coat.) Aand his result is pretty nice.

The fixative used in model railroading to hold ballast in place -- thinned white glue with a drop of dish soap to cut surface tension -- might work well as a fixative, applying it with an eyedropper to the surface to flow out around the grit embedded in the base coat.

I have to admit that I snickered when I first saw photos of the antiskid coating on the Merkava; if I didn't know that they were photographs of the actual tanks, I'd be tempted to take off points for sloppy application of the nonskid coating. Growing up as a Navy brat, I always saw nonskid coatings as a surface coating that was sprayed or rolled on in an even coat:

or as peel-and-stick material cut to fit for a particular installation (and an even more uniform surface):

The Merkava nonskid coating looks, to my eye, like a half-assed afterthought, but I suppose that it's a matter of different requirements.
JohnTapsell
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 226 posts
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 - 08:31 AM UTC
As an alternative method, why use an additional material when the kit can be textured with Liquid Poly?

I've never used the sand/grit/textured paint options for my non-skid.

Instead, I use a method that's been around for years and years.

Working one or two panels at a time, brush some Humbrol Liquid Poly (or similar liquid cement onto the panel and allow it to stand for about 30 seconds. this softens the surface of the plastic. Then, taking an old paintbrush with the bristles cut down to about 5mm length, gently 'stipple' the plastic. This action adds texture to the surface - keep stippling until the plastic has hardened again, then repeat the process on the next panel.

It's a cheap, effective and easily controlled method.

Regards,
John

_GOTOTOP