_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Berlin diorama finnished
Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 1,102 posts
Armorama: 1,018 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 02:44 AM UTC
Hi all
Finally! It's finnished, and I'm really satysfied with the result. The storyline would be something like this: During a pause in the battle, a couple of hardliners from the Volkssturm, or rather, a kind of "death sqaud", comes along this improvised gun position, looking for deserters to execute. The gun commander, a battle hardened SS Leutnant, tells them to pass right through, and that he has no such kind of soldiers under his command. The young soldier sitting on the gun is watching carefully, readdy to protect his commander if needed. In a corner of the gun position a couple of young Hitler youth are trying to get some rest. One of them is wounded, and a medic is on the way to have a look.
Hope you like the diorama, and please do comment.
Best regards
Jacob

jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Armorama: 238 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 03:31 AM UTC
Nice piece. Very well executed.

Jim
lappes
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 03:31 AM UTC
Great diorama. The chipping of the gun, the painting of the figures, the ground.......you can be proud of your great work.
Best regards
Frank
paratrooper
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 995 posts
Armorama: 64 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 03:45 AM UTC
very very nice diorama! It tells a story if you look at it!

SovietBoy22
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 452 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 05:09 AM UTC
Excellent layout and detail. I love it!!!
Thanks for sharing.
Euan
strongarden
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 08:28 AM UTC
I like it! Great overall composition and attention to detail too. I repeat the other comments, and thanks for the story intro.

Question- What did you use for your rails?
I'm organizing an urban setting w/ rails/ties/ballast and your setup is PERFECT.
Thanx Dave
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 08:42 AM UTC
Hi Jacob,

Nicely done, interesting selction of figures which add to the scene. A slogan or a couple of torn posters might work well on the wall, help add colour and lift it a little.

Just a thought. Excellcnt stuff.

Al
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 12:52 PM UTC
Well done!! It really turned out nicely in all aspects. There are a lot of nice details in every part of this dio,
J
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 07:36 PM UTC
Very good work, nice colors overall. Well choosen background for the gun also.

Claude
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,380 posts
Armorama: 845 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 07:57 PM UTC
Hello Jacob,

Nice piece you've done !
I had also this MK35 figures, the ss in greatcoat, one of the first "serious" painting I made in 1/35.
The crates are very well done and placed. And I particularly like the group of soldiers sleeping against the wall. That gives another hidden story in the background.

Best,
Julien
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 10:43 PM UTC
I'm a big fan of late-war Berlin dios and this is a real gem Jacob. The story is very intriguing and the layout/composition is spot-on- as are the expressions and general appearance of the figures. The wall and the debris around is also a nice backdrop and the gun itself is a great piece, perfect for the setting and suitably weathered looking. Thanks for sharing this Jacob.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 10:50 PM UTC
Amazing work on the detail of things. The ruble, the faces on the figures, even the color of their skin.

I applaud those that can work on figures! Where I do my best to avoid them, you guys flourish with them.

Oh, and the 88 looks great too.

Nice work!
WARLORD
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 1,923 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 12:40 AM UTC
Superb work.Excellent details!
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 12:56 AM UTC
Great job there Jacob, i really like the whole setting and the story that it is telling. The weathering on the gun and the rest of the scene is perfect. But I would agree with Alan that a torn poster or some bullet marks would be needed to brake up the niceness of the wall

By the way can you tell us which kits you used
Thanks for sharing
Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 05:59 AM UTC
Hi all
Thanks for all the complements.
Dave & Sal: The gun is from Dragon and the tracks are from Iron side. The ballast are real stones, which can be uptained in a railway shop. The brick wall is actually also from the railway hobby. Figures are a mix of Verlinden, Dragon, MK35, Hornet and some scratch build ones.
Alan: I actually had the same thought, but did anyone hang posters at the railway? Hm, maybe they did, I'll have to rethink it over again.
Best regards
Jacob
strongarden
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
Armorama: 624 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 08:29 AM UTC
Thanks for the info Again, really spot-on dio! Dave
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,938 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 09:14 AM UTC
Yo Jacob,

Good job, nice painting and good colors...the rubble on the street is spot on!

Keep up!

Greetz Nico
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 01:47 AM UTC
Hej Jacob. Love the scene. Great composition. I like the fact that the scene is "contained" with its own background and details all around. Great choice of figures. Will we be seeing it in Malmö this year?
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 06:02 PM UTC
Jacob: Very nice work. The figures are excellent, along with everything else. Thanks for sharing.

Happy Modeling, -zon
Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 06:00 AM UTC
Sorry Frank, can't go this year, but I'll return next year. C-4 is a great show/competition, and I just have to come back. I might even bring more Danes along next time...Now you're warned
Best regards
Jacob
PS: Yes, I might bring this one along.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 06:54 AM UTC
Hey Jacob, nice dio. Good story that you don't need to wonder what it is about. Great paint job all the way around. Some kind of poster, weather beaten and ripped or a sign pointing towards the ticket office or freight platform would look good for a splash of color to break it up some. Maybe a small bit of green/brown weeds growing in a corner, things grow in the weirdest places. The only thing that grabed my attention as far as miissing would be the lack of hammers and break lever on the shotgun. Not a nessesity but an easy enough fix and will bring it right up there for compitition. Great job and something to be proud of.
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 06:27 PM UTC
Congrats and great work. I really like the railroad setting idea and use of the Flak. Everything is very well painted and positioned. The only thing I'd like to see is maybe another Volksstrum that is a little more menacing-looking and better armed as these two aren't very intimidating. However, I do like it as it is and it's very plausible the way you have it too. Great work and inspiring!
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 - 04:05 AM UTC
Jacob,

My compliments -- well done!

The weathering of the 88 is excellent. The composition of the diorama is very well planned out. One can read many stories into it. I enjoy your's.

The rails are painted very accurately, and I like the spare wheels leaning against the wall. Good detail -- the railing or electrical conduits falling off the wall near the damaged corner.

You picked out the fine detail on the figures to a high degree, and the faces look alive without being overdone ( looking like a 2-D attempt to make a 3-D surface 3-D). Nice job!

I appreciate your ground weathering: I am happy with a uniform look as I think that with the firing the 88 has obviously done, lots of dust would have been thrown up and uniformly settled around the area. Yet the fallen brick near the Volkssturm tells us that more recent debris has come down.

Overall, a super piece!

If I may offer one idea as a critique, it is that the wall seems too uniformly clean. Berlin 1945 was still in railroad Epoche II: steam locomotives and early diesels. They belched lots of exhaust; areas with more than one track would probably have a lot of soot fouling the masonry. I suggest some dark soot streaks running down the walls.
MadModeler
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 04:47 AM UTC
Very nice work there. I like how the collars are "pop up". Dress regulation in combat are normally thorwn out the window.
cestus72
Visit this Community
Torino, Italy
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 227 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 06:22 AM UTC
beautifoul
 _GOTOTOP