_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman M4A1 76mm, who does it?
Avroman
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 07:18 AM UTC
Hi there,

I plan to built a dio (France late summer or early fall 1944).
I wish to put on it the Sherman M4A1 with the long gun 76 mm.

What companies sell it? And what kit is the best?

I would also appreciate the confirmation that the time frame is correct (late summer of early fall '44).

Thanks in advance for your help.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 07:29 AM UTC
It's made by Italeri, DML, Tamiya and Tasca.

the best kit is Tasca 35-019, which is good for your time frame. Although Tamiya 35322, which shows an M4A1 in Israeli markings, can be used too with some minor deviations from kit directions.
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 07:42 AM UTC
I think the dragon ones are out of production at the moment. The Italliari one is by the far thde cheapest.

Paul
Avroman
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 07:47 AM UTC
Dear Roy,

Thanks for the quick answer.

I went right away to the net and the Taska kit seems to be related to the M4A3 (my original idea refers to the M4A1).

So, I wonder if my time frame is steel correct (my dio is already partly built and all trees have leaves...)

Thanks.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 07:58 AM UTC
Hi - you want either the Italeri kit or the DML "Op Cobra" kit to model the M4A1(76)W. (The others suggested were based on the M4A3 hull, and are late autumn/winter '44.)

The Italeri kit can be found cheap at swap meets and on ebay, but needs lots of work to bring it up to scratch. The DML kit is pricier, but is a much better build. However, hunting one down may be difficult. For your timeframe you will want to remove the domed ventilator cover from the turret rear, and replace Italeri's late upswept-arm bogies with horizontal-arm ones. (Not sure which bogies the DML kit has...)

Tom
Avroman
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 08:06 AM UTC
Thanks Tom for the answer. You almost need a degree to understand the Sherman "world".
Maybe it would be easier to use the short gun (altought it is less impressive).

Avroman
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 08:08 AM UTC
Hi Paul,

This kit seems to be quite rare. Il will try Dragon on the Internet of on the Dragon's site.

Thanks for your answer.
Cobrahistorian
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 710 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 08:15 AM UTC
I'm not completely up on the latest 1:35 Shermanology, but my $.02 would suggest either the Tasca M4A3 with a Tank Workshop M4A1 upper hull or the DML M4A1 with the Tank Workshop T23 turret. If you were looking 48th scale, I'd say go for the Hobby Boss kit. You get everything that you're looking for in an M4A1 76(W). It's actually pretty nice.

Jon
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 08:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You almost need a degree to understand the Sherman "world"

Welcome to my nightmare!

It can be a minefield, given how quickly they got upgraded - I sometimes wonder if the 50,000 built include 50,000 variations...

Tom
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 08:38 AM UTC
How "good" do you want to make the model?

The range here can go from the Italeri kit out of the box to a mix of various kits and/or aftermarket parts to make a very solid accurate early M4A1 (76) tank, such as those that showed up around Operation Cobra.

Avroman
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 08:42 AM UTC
Hi Jesse,

Well, the Italeri kit seems a bit too easy to built. The Dragon kit seems perfect, but b/o at Dragon USA.

Considering that this kit would be the "Star" of my dio, I would like it to be as good as possible.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 09:03 AM UTC
Hop on eBay!

There's got to be a ton of them on there! One way or another, you're going to want to build them all... you know that.

~ Jeff
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 09:14 AM UTC
Although there is a bit more detail in the Dragon Operation Cobra Kit, than in the Italeri version, -some of it is erroneous such as the extra filler caps on the engine deck copied from the Small hatch M4A1 which shouldn't be there and the details on the front fenders which are again carried over from the small hatch M4A1. The Italeri kit details, apart from the stepped gun, missing bolt heads on the suspension units and the recessed turret pistol port, are correct.

The advantage with the Italeri kit is that it can be picked up quite cheap and builds up into a very nice model with a little bit of work.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 09:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For your timeframe you will want to remove the domed ventilator cover from the turret rear, and replace Italeri's late upswept-arm bogies with horizontal-arm ones. (Not sure which bogies the DML kit has...)

Dragon's Operation Cobra kit comes with up-swept and straight arm bogies. Here's a review: --click--

Many (if not most) Dragon's Sherman kits come with both types of bogies (check in-box reviews), so there should be quite many people around with spares. If you choose to go with the Italeri kit, you can always post in the buy/sell/trade section and ask if someone has extras they could part with.

pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 09:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jesse,

Well, the Italeri kit seems a bit too easy to built. The Dragon kit seems perfect, but b/o at Dragon USA.

Considering that this kit would be the "Star" of my dio, I would like it to be as good as possible.

FWIW, the Dragon kit is available on Ebay. Here's the review on the Dragon "Operation Cobra kit", so you know what you're getting into.

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/dragon/dr6083.htm

So there are some known faults. That said, it's still better than the Italeri kit.

If you want to go even further... let us know.

exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 10:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

For your timeframe you will want to remove the domed ventilator cover from the turret rear, and replace Italeri's late upswept-arm bogies with horizontal-arm ones. (Not sure which bogies the DML kit has...)

Dragon's Operation Cobra kit comes with up-swept and straight arm bogies. Here's a review: --click--

Many (if not most) Dragon's Sherman kits come with both types of bogies (check in-box reviews), so there should be quite many people around with spares. If you choose to go with the Italeri kit, you can always post in the buy/sell/trade section and ask if someone has extras they could part with.

Your link is not working

As for the bogies in an article on the M4A1/76 Steve Zaloga says most but not all of the original Operation Cobra Shermans had horizontal return rollers. I don't have a link but I can dig out the mag and scan the section if needed.

FWIW some of those original Operation Cobra Shermans can be seen in photos well into 1945
Avroman
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 11:19 AM UTC
Thanks everybody for all those information.

I will go with the M4A1 with the 76mm. It is the most impressive Sherman operating in late summer 44.

After reading the review that Jesse has suggested, I will definitly go with the Dragon.

tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 12:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You almost need a degree to understand the Sherman "world"

Welcome to my nightmare!

It can be a minefield, given how quickly they got upgraded - I sometimes wonder if the 50,000 built include 50,000 variations...

Tom

lets not forget all the sub varients
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 04:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

lets not forget all the sub varients

Oh, it's not that bad.

~ Jeff
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2012 - 07:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Your link is not working

Bummer, I thought I got it right so I didn't check it after posting. Doesn't matter though, since I meant to link the very same PMMS review you posted at the exact same minute.
 _GOTOTOP