Hosted by Darren Baker
Quiet contemplation
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 02:14 AM UTC
Tamiya US Infantry at Rest figures with Tamiya Citroen 11CV Traction avant as German officer's car. The Goliath is from the Tamiya kettenkrad kit. The building is from ProduitsMP. Slings and helmet straps are Hauler PE. Red crosses are Archer transfers. There are numerous sources for the wall posters.

Each man is lost in his own world of thought. The medic is absorbed by the sight of the destruction around him. The seated figure contemplates what might have happened had not debris severed the Goliath's guidance wire. The man strolling by is momentarily distracted by the Michelin tire poster on the wall. Everything I learned about diorama composition came from studying John Constable's "The Hay Wain."

SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 02:56 AM UTC
Very nice looking, thanks for sharing
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 03:30 PM UTC
I remember this one too. I like the look of the smashed car. The falling brick idea is cool.
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 02:23 AM UTC
YEs, Greg this is the revised version. I added the Citroen poster, rusting Shell fuel drum and tires.
GastonMarty
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 05:30 AM UTC

Wow!

That dented roof must have taken a lot of work to get right!

I love it: One of your best so far. The figures are excellent too.

I only have two quibbles: There is a large building piece resting upright against the wall, and that looks odd.

Also there is only rather big fallen pieces, and I wonder if a sprinkling of smaller masonry pieces would not be of help. I wonder if at least one of the bigger pieces on the hood would not be better as a smaller piece, as the hood looks a bit narrow to hold so many big pieces, or at least without a lot of smaller pieces all around the car...

There was a box of 1/48th bricks offered in the Track 48th shop once: I have one and they look like real bricks!

Great work!

Gaston
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 05:47 AM UTC
Hi Gaston, the large piece on the hood is actually resting in the windshield frame, not just on the hood. The other piece of masonry is resting against the building, which is beginning to lean back, suggesting that it toppled straight down. I played around with the position of all the debris before deciding on which went where. The rest of the bricks are shattered pieces strewn around the ground rather than whole pieces. But, who knows, individual bricks are something that could be added, quite easily, later on. All my dioramas are WIPs intended to be altered and improved over time.

The building is from ProduitsMP, a Quebec company. If you want to get your own, the postage would be quite reasonable.

Here is my other diorama using the same building and GasoLine's Canadian Ram Badger flamethrower tank conversion kit.

GastonMarty
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 - 11:33 AM UTC

I remember that!

The groundwork on the Citroen Diorama is much better.

I am also looking at making at least 3 armor dios, at least one quite elaborate, with the Pegasus farm animals and the Rest Model horses, as soon as a few winged things are moved out of the way...

Shouldn't be too long. There are very few modellers that make complicated 1/48th dioramas, beyond small vignettes, because it cuts so much time from the other waiting builds in the stash... It takes a lot of discipline to do that. Hats off.

Gaston
JediWookie
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 - 11:37 AM UTC
Looks great, will have to do a dio myself one day.

Gary
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2012 - 01:45 PM UTC
Very nice.
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 03:58 AM UTC
I appreciate the comments, everyone.

Gaston, about the smashed roof. It was not difficult at all. All I did was heat it using a lighter and then pressed the chunk of masonry into it.
 _GOTOTOP