Replacement Leopard 1 tracks
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Armorama: 1,077 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 12:59 PM UTC
Howdy,

Been doing some searching on the best replacement tracks for early Leopards and made a possibly interesting observation: Bronco's AS 90 tracks look mighty close. Can anyone shed some more light on this possibility? This might be a nice, and unexpected alternative.

Cheers
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 03:20 PM UTC
http://www.trackjam.com/hkcw/hkcwlprd1.htm from Trackjam Models or possibly Mouse House.

Jim
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 04:12 PM UTC
Kimmo you can use spade ace you can find them at hobby easy
Dave
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 - 11:48 PM UTC
Hi guys, I knew about the tracks suggested, HKCW seem to be difficult to find and the Spade Ace ones a bit difficult to get, as I understood it, you need a credit card to order. I also looked at the Perfect Scale ones, but don't like the idea of resin tracks. I was just wondering if the Bronco tracks I mentioned might work too. Just to throw something else in the mix.

And while we're on the subject, are there any articles online detailing just what is wrong with the Tamiya A4? All I seem to find is vague, not quite right comments, but no pics or anything like that.

Thanks
dmiles
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 12:12 AM UTC
Kimmo,
the guide horns are different on the AS-90 set look at
http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/zoziscrfsrmfldzubxxg.html for the spade ace leopard set and
http://www.hlj.com/product/brncba3524 for the AS-90 set and click the bottom right picture this will show the differences.
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 01:00 AM UTC
Hong Kong Creation Workshop (HKCW)

Best Leo 1 tracks that I know.

cheers
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 02:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Kimmo,
the guide horns are different on the AS-90 set look at
http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/zoziscrfsrmfldzubxxg.html for the spade ace leopard set and
http://www.hlj.com/product/brncba3524 for the AS-90 set and click the bottom right picture this will show the differences.

Hoping for an exact match would have been too much, but they really don't look too far off. Nothing a few swipes with a sanding stick couldn't fix. Just a thought. And they would probably look a lot better than the vinyl tracks in the kit. I'd be willing to try it out if a set could be gotten cheaply.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 02:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Kimmo you can use spade ace you can find them at hobby easy
Dave

Yup, just a little too pricey. Perfect Scale resin tracks are a lot cheaper, just not a fan of resin.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hong Kong Creation Workshop (HKCW)

Best Leo 1 tracks that I know.

cheers

That would seem to be the consensus from other places as well. Only problem is I can't seem to find a distributor in Europe.
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 02:30 AM UTC
Here is a set of metal tracks, never used them though so no idea how good they are.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spade-Ace-1-35-SAT-35181-Metal-Track-German-Leopard-1-/180963345311?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item2a2241839f

cheers
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 03:28 AM UTC
Hi Kimmo,

Have you looked here?

The Tamiya 1A4 lacks quite a bit of detail when compared to drawings in the Tankograd books or even against the superior Italeri 1A4 kit. Aside from missing tow cables, antennas, and the highly prominent power cable for the searchlight, it has some aweful detailing on the hull parts that cannot be easily fixed. And the roadwheels are a tad undersized. I've "upgraded" one and the basic design isn't that bad, but the Italeri kit is much finer, if you can find one! (Sadly the 1A4 hasn't been re-popped in recent decades - I wonder if they still have the tooling? I know the hull parts are used in the other Italeri/Revell Leo 1 variants, but if they lost or damaged the turret mould it would be expensive to recreate.)

Tom
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 03:40 AM UTC
[quoteThat would seem to be the consensus from other places as well. Only problem is I can't seem to find a distributor in Europe. [/quote]
I could be wrong, but haven't they closed down?
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 04:33 AM UTC
Trackjam has them listed on their website.

http://trackjam.com/hkcw/hkcwlist.htm

cheers
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 05:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Kimmo,

Have you looked here?

The Tamiya 1A4 lacks quite a bit of detail when compared to drawings in the Tankograd books or even against the superior Italeri 1A4 kit. Aside from missing tow cables, antennas, and the highly prominent power cable for the searchlight, it has some aweful detailing on the hull parts that cannot be easily fixed. And the roadwheels are a tad undersized. I've "upgraded" one and the basic design isn't that bad, but the Italeri kit is much finer, if you can find one! (Sadly the 1A4 hasn't been re-popped in recent decades - I wonder if they still have the tooling? I know the hull parts are used in the other Italeri/Revell Leo 1 variants, but if they lost or damaged the turret mould it would be expensive to recreate.)

Tom

Yup, been there too I can't seem to find any articles or pics that show how bad the actual bad stuff is. Reason I ask is I can get Tamiya A4s for 18 euros or so and Italeri A5s for a bit more. I might just get 1 each and see what can be done.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 05:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

cheers

Thanks. Guess I'll ask for some in my next Red Cross package from thataways.
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 05:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

cheers

We might be a little backwoods up here, but we know how the postal service works.

cheers
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 07:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I can't seem to find any articles or pics that show how bad the actual bad stuff is. Reason I ask is I can get Tamiya A4s for 18 euros or so and Italeri A5s for a bit more. I might just get 1 each and see what can be done.

Well, about a million years ago I built one for a campaign here.

The missing stuff was made from Evergreen (look for the white in the pic), but in retrospect the tool clamps are poor too. The turret was a struggle for reasons I cannot remember (hence Evergreen in the joints). I decided to live with the wheels and track rather than throw good money at it. I suppose these days you could cross-kit the Tamiya turret onto the Italeri 1A5 hull since it is the same one Italeri puts in their 1A4. The Italeri engine grille needs replaced though...

Tom
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 08:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

cheers

We might be a little backwoods up here, but we know how the postal service works.

cheers

Oh I know. I'm a repatriated expatriate. I get a few packages of fake mac'n cheese powder a year and various other stuff, eh? Hence the Red Cross package bit.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 08:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I can't seem to find any articles or pics that show how bad the actual bad stuff is. Reason I ask is I can get Tamiya A4s for 18 euros or so and Italeri A5s for a bit more. I might just get 1 each and see what can be done.

Well, about a million years ago I built one for a campaign here.

The missing stuff was made from Evergreen (look for the white in the pic), but in retrospect the tool clamps are poor too. The turret was a struggle for reasons I cannot remember (hence Evergreen in the joints). I decided to live with the wheels and track rather than throw good money at it. I suppose these days you could cross-kit the Tamiya turret onto the Italeri 1A5 hull since it is the same one Italeri puts in their 1A4. The Italeri engine grille needs replaced though...

Tom

That doesn't look too horrible.
barkingdigger
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 09:54 AM UTC
It's not too bad - until you compare it to the Italeri kit. Aside from adding cables, there are those empty periscope hoods around the driver's hatch that need filled. Then there's the empty glacis, where the racks of ice cleats should be. And the lack of weld seams where the armour plates meet, and around items like the lifting eyes. (Italeri had all of these sorted...) Of course there are no sponson floors - this was a Tamiya "rug runner" so if the hatches are open you can see daylight coming up around the tracks. And because the hull needed to come apart to replace batteries there are big ugly joints at the front and rear to fix. Oh, and the tools are a bit crude and have no real clamp detail. I haven't measured the dimensions of the hull, but as these rug-runners were built around the bateries and gearbox I assume it may be a bit too wide...

Here are a few more pics:

But in fairness, it isn't a complete dog (unlike the earlier "Kampfpanzer Leopard" kit!) and with a little effort it can be made presentable.

Tom
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 10:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's not too bad - until you compare it to the Italeri kit. Aside from adding cables, there are those empty periscope hoods around the driver's hatch that need filled. Then there's the empty glacis, where the racks of ice cleats should be. And the lack of weld seams where the armour plates meet, and around items like the lifting eyes. (Italeri had all of these sorted...) Of course there are no sponson floors - this was a Tamiya "rug runner" so if the hatches are open you can see daylight coming up around the tracks. And because the hull needed to come apart to replace batteries there are big ugly joints at the front and rear to fix. Oh, and the tools are a bit crude and have no real clamp detail. I haven't measured the dimensions of the hull, but as these rug-runners were built around the bateries and gearbox I assume it may be a bit too wide...

Here are a few more pics:

But in fairness, it isn't a complete dog (unlike the earlier "Kampfpanzer Leopard" kit!) and with a little effort it can be made presentable.

Tom

An excellent kit to tweak basic skills not used in eons then. Just might be what the doctor ordered.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 11:11 AM UTC
Elite in Germany may have the HKCW ones, how's your German?!:
Leo 1 tracks They list them as Elite but they are the HKCW ones.

Jim
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 12:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Elite in Germany may have the HKCW ones, how's your German?!:
Leo 1 tracks They list them as Elite but they are the HKCW ones.

Jim

Good enough to get most of that, thanks!
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 04:24 PM UTC
Kimmo, since I had them handy I decided to put a few links together. I think you would run into problems with the spacing of the end connectors. The Bronco pads themselves are nice and you're right, they're close. Switching out the connectors can't be done (without a lot of work at least) because of the different assembly methods. Bronco is the tan plastic.

Jim
dmiles
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 160 posts
Armorama: 159 posts
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 - 11:41 PM UTC
Kimmo,

I have a Gepard and Leo 1 which I am going to do the Aust version of and ordered 2 sets of the HKCW tracks with Hobby Easy May this year they were to be supplied by Prefect Scale and am still waiting for them. The only other supplier I know of is Track Jam (link to tracks) http://www.trackjam.com/hkcw/hkcwlist.htm and I don’t know how they are for stock.

I sent Hobby Easy a dissatisfied customer e-mail about the delay in supply and they are sending me 2 sets of the Spade Ace tracks(I must give Daniel and Henry a big wrap here as they had no hesitation in supplying the Spade Ace) which I am more than happy with as I prefer metal tracks.

I purchased Spade Aces T-80 tracks for my T-90 which now resides on a T-80 as the Sector 35 tracks keep coming apart and I see no difference between them and Friulmodel. Also the Spade Ace Leo tracks come with a new sprocket wheel so there should be no fit issues. I am hoping that they arrive before the end of the week and if you can wait I can give you my thoughts.

David

_GOTOTOP