_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-80 model 1988
JGRuiz
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 05:56 AM UTC
Recently I recibed a gift, in particular a T-80 model 1988 "Leningrad Built" (SP Designs Ref. 184)
Unfortunately, I do not know much about this vehicle, besides, there are many versions of what I find difficult to discriminate each other.

Focusing on the version comentada, I would like to know some things.

What is the best plastic kit to start? (Zvezda, DML, Skif...)
What are the essential aftermakets?....Iīm specially interested in photoechted and barrel.

I dontīt ask this for confort, just like I said, I find it very difficult to distinguir between some versions and other things are right

Thanks and regards.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 06:27 AM UTC
Ola Jose

Unfortunately there are no decent t-80 kits yet

As far as I know, Skif kit is the best one because it has the most correct dimensions...but there are really a LOT of jobs to do on it to obtain a good model

Zvezda and DML actually are the same (awful) kit
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 07:23 AM UTC
Jose,

You got one of Sergej's older conversion kits. The T-80U m88 Leningrad was to distinguish it from the m88 Kharkov. Both had the K-1/3 ERA, but even though they were listed both as T-80U they had some distinct detail differences.

Now, as for upgrades, first, you can go to the SP Designs store I run to look over newer upgrades (one piece upper hull etc...) that you can get. SAAMMODELS (I run the site but all the money goes back to Sergej of SP Designs).

You will want to use the SKIF kit as the conversion is made for it and it is the best base to start with.

Eduard PE will come in helpful.

You will need new tracks for the SKIF kit. You can get several good things from the SAAMMODELS store, including tracks, sprockets, and roadwheels. The sprockets will also let you use the Master Club tracks on the SKIF kit (the SKIF sprockets are messed up).

I also prefer metal SGL's and radio antenna's.

I don't have a LOT of in progress built pics, but here are a few of what I did (but using a one piece upper hull...and a lot of my build used SP Designs parts from at least 3 generations of T-80U kits, so it is not as good as the kit you have):

My answer to fixing a micro-bubble problem.

and finally:

This is my finished T-80U next to the DML/Zvezda T-80UD kit to show off the dimension problems that the much earlier DML kit has (And no, Zvezda has not made any changes to the DML kit to make it better...)

JGRuiz
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 08:07 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies.

Ok....the kit is old. I have no idea, as I said the kit was a gift.

Well, using the skif item, I supouse that I must to cut de hull and put a piece of the SP kit or I can buy a complete hull from SP Designs. I think I will try the first option.....itīs cheaper .

Jacques, I also see the problem of the bubles....really sad, because the kit looks preaty at a first sight. Problaby, I try to use Mr. Surfacer and fill the bubles in a easy form.

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 09:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jacques, I also see the problem of the bubles....really sad, because the kit looks preaty at a first sight. Problaby, I try to use Mr. Surfacer and fill the bubles in a easy form.

Yeah, before Sergej finally went to pressure casting, he had micro-bubble issues. They were a real pain because they were often in some very annoying places on very nicely detailed castings. The castings today are MUCH better, very much like any other pressure cast kit.
Miniam
Visit this Community
Skaraborgs, Sweden
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 06:55 AM UTC
Hello Jose

Happy to see someone else take this kit by the horns too. The model take some effort but can be made quite nice despite its age. Here's a link to my attempt at the early (solid turret) version of the SP Design #184 kit, a while ago.

[url= https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/184181&page=1 [/url]

Good luck with the build
/Tomas
JGRuiz
Visit this Community
Spain / Espaņa
Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 01:03 AM UTC
Tomas, thanks for your answer, thanks for the link and congratulations for your T-80, itīs fantastic and an inspiration.
 _GOTOTOP