Hosted by Darren Baker
Hasegawa M1A1
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 09:27 PM UTC
Just finished my first ever "modern", the old Hasegawa M1A1.

A "fast build" kit I reackon by todays standards it's OOB with only a few minor improvements. Even with the relatively poor detail I really enjoyed the build to be honest as I think it still looks the part ....

Anwyay there's still a few things to finish but I'm out of varnish so they'll have to wait (bumper and tac codes, crew, final weathering).

cheers
Brent

And the rest of the fledgling wargaming unit it's part of .....

Panther64
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 365 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 12:44 AM UTC
Wow! Excellent work Brent! You captured the beast perfectly!
Your weathering is spot on, I especially like the watermarks all around and the way it compliments the dusty/dirty look of the lower hull. I also like the little details like the antenna protectors on top of each. Your painting skills have brought the best in this kit. Bravo! The other kits are really nice as well, really dig the MRDC paint schemes on the 113s.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 01:52 AM UTC
Brent, nicely done. Super effort. I'm always amazed when finished 1/72-1/76 work is posted.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 06:13 AM UTC
Brent,

Well done!

I especially like your paint and weathering finishes, which are quite realistic.

Just to make sure you know, this kit was actually created from/of the M1E1 prototypes that were built in the mid-'80s or so for evaluation purposes. They were never fielded to units as far as I remember.

But that is a small quibble - your Abrams looks great.
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 11:44 AM UTC
Thanks for the interest and comment guys .......

Brent

Quoted Text

Brent,

Well done!

I especially like your paint and weathering finishes, which are quite realistic.

Just to make sure you know, this kit was actually created from/of the M1E1 prototypes that were built in the mid-'80s or so for evaluation purposes. They were never fielded to units as far as I remember.

But that is a small quibble - your Abrams looks great.

Hey matey, yeah I edited the pic and posted late at night and the effect of too much coffee is showing. The REFORGER date should have been earlier too, late '80s as the last one was in '93 I believe.

For some reason I don't have access to edit my post so I can't update the picture and title which has been corrected ......... so I'll post it here

cheers
Brent

Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 11:46 AM UTC
Very good looking kit, really like the diorama.
wing_nut
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
Armorama: 674 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 02:01 PM UTC
Impressive work Brent. I would like to give you the best compliment for a braille scale.

Looks bigger!
Braille
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 07:57 PM UTC
@DaGreatQueeg - Brent,

You’ve done that Hasegawa tank kit justice! Really enjoy seeing your armies, so inspirational indeed.

Are all of these kits in 72nd scale? Great paint job on the multi-colored camouflage scheme. My favorite part of the vehicle is the realistically rendered dried mud around the lower portions of the chassis. Plus you did an outstanding job on the opening photograph with text, layout and composition!

~ Eddy
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 - 09:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@DaGreatQueeg - Brent,

You’ve done that Hasegawa tank kit justice! Really enjoy seeing your armies, so inspirational indeed.

Are all of these kits in 72nd scale? Great paint job on the multi-colored camouflage scheme. My favorite part of the vehicle is the realistically rendered dried mud around the lower portions of the chassis. Plus you did an outstanding job on the opening photograph with text, layout and composition!

~ Eddy

Thanks Edddy .... much appreciated! And yup, all 1/72nd. The M2A2 Bradley is Revell, the 2 M113s are Italeri and the LAV-IT is from ACE.

cheers
Brent
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 - 07:46 PM UTC
Brent, forgot to ask, what'd you use for your grass?

And a side note, it seems you can only edit a post within a certain time limit, a couple hours I think. Unless someone posts after you then you can't.
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 - 08:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Brent, forgot to ask, what'd you use for your grass?

And a side note, it seems you can only edit a post within a certain time limit, a couple hours I think. Unless someone posts after you then you can't.

Hey Chris,

Yeah that non-edit function of the first post has caught me out before dang it!

The "grass" is actually just a piece of our "plonk on" terrian mat from the wargaming table. It's made from "teddy bear" fur, mostly trimmed but with some high areas left and dyed green. I've attached a couple more pics of it ....

Tiger_213
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 - 08:53 PM UTC
Thanks Brent, now I'll have to find myself some of that kind of material!

Another side note. I noticed signatures were turned off on my profile (for some odd reason). Turned them back on, saw the link for your site. Incredible stuff on there (and I'm not even interested in wargamming!).
ChaosXVI
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 126 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 08:02 PM UTC
Where's the LIKE button?

Beautiful work! It doesn't look like its braille. 5th photo is may favorite.
 _GOTOTOP