_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
British Ranks
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 08:19 AM UTC
Well if we're gonna get right down to it on the ranks I would like to see "SERJEANT" and "COLOUR SERJEANT".
No its not a mispell its how its spelt in the Light DIvision.
Maybe we could have our ranks in Yellow with a rifle green backing?
I think we should just stick to the standard ranks of the Brit army from Pte, L/CPL etc upto and including Field marshall.
trackpins
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 10:35 AM UTC
Even after 25 years in the Regular British Army some of the coments/suggestions have me confused!

The basic difference is between the rank and the appointment.

A Warrant Officer class 2 could be titled one of many including a Company Sergeant Major, a Battery Sergeant Major or a Regimental Quarter Master Sergeant dependant on either the regiment or the job he or in these enlightened days, she was performing.

Let's keep it simple and not overcomplicate the issue. Stick to the ranks and forget the appointments.

And as a final point there are only two Warrant (appointed by Parliment) Ranks. Warrant Officer first class and second class. Don't know how the third class crept in!

Trackpins.
Some time ex Hereford holligan!
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 10:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let's keep it simple and not overcomplicate the issue. Stick to the ranks and forget the appointments

as far as I'm allowed to say anything about this matter at all, I fully agree with the statement above ! Keep It Simple
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,454 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 06:36 AM UTC
Yeah...keep it simple.....just make me the Clan Chief.
Arthur
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 08:30 AM UTC
Hi there

I agree, let's keep it simple.

I can understand everyone getting excited, and all wanting ranks from their former (or favourite) branch of the services, but if we make this too complicated we'll end up being the last one's to get national ranks...

If other Brits are confused, think how Jim must feel trying to make sense of all this.

All the best

Rowan
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 09:31 AM UTC
Posted this in the wrong thread earlier so if you already seen this , accept my apologies..

Heres my suggestion for British Ranks, keeping it simple and moving the ranks upto the required ten......

Quoted Text

Regarding the british ranks, if you're looking for ten ranks may i suggest including Private and a rank which the Guards division use which is Lance Sergeant. Basically the guards equivelant of a lance Corporal is A corporal (two stripes) and the lance sergent (3 stripes - same as a sergeant) is the equivelant of a corporal.
So the ranking system would be
1. private
2.lance corporal
3. corporal
4. lance sergeant
5. sergeant
6. colour sergeant
7. Warrent Officer 2nd class
8. RQMS
9. Warrant officer 1st class
10. Regimental Sergeant Major

then perhaps from there the officer ranks could be used.

_GOTOTOP