_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Non-camouflage US Marine Uniform Color
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2012 - 05:53 AM UTC
Olive drab, or another shade of green?
AngryEchoSix
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 61 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 12:28 PM UTC
What are you referring to when you say non-uniform? Do you mean gear - packs, belts, etc? Also, what time period? WW2, Korea, Vietnam, etc?
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 01:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What are you referring to when you say non-uniform? Do you mean gear - packs, belts, etc? Also, what time period? WW2, Korea, Vietnam, etc?

I meant non-camouflage, as in plain green uniforms like they had in WW2 and Korea. M1942 and M1944 versions are examples. The ones that used to be considered utilities prior to WW2 and then adopted as field uniforms. One reference called it "sage green", but I don't know what that means.
AngryEchoSix
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 01:56 PM UTC
Ok, I see what you are saying now. You could try "Sagebrush" which is FS 34373. You can acheive a close approximation to that color by using Tamiya XF-67:3 and XF-76:8 (3 parts XF67 to 8 parts XF76)
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 01:59 PM UTC
Vallejo 886 Gray/Green is a real good match for slightly faded herringbone utilities. That will cover early WWII through Korea into early Vietnam.

My era (early 70's) saw the plain cotton utilities which were nearly the identical color, maybe a skoshe bit darker, after being washed and heavy starched a few times.

edit

This will give you a good idea. These figs depict late war on Iwo Jima.

G
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 05:44 PM UTC
Definitely not Olive Drab then.

Vallejo paints are unfortunately not available in my locale and I generally dislike Tamiya brush paints which dry too quickly. I like Model Master Acryl, and presumably can find a color or mixture that would be close enough. I assume I can fudge a little on clothing colors, especially on field uniforms made during wartime.
AngryEchoSix
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 06:40 PM UTC
Using Model Master Acryls, I came up with this:

MM Acryl 4724 - 9 parts
MM Acryl 4766 - 14 Parts
MM Acryl 4739 - 18 Parts

This will end up looking just a hair more faded than the actual "Sagebrush" color. Hope this helps.

BTW - This is what I'm using to get the mixtures and examples:
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 11:55 AM UTC
If you plan on painting a lot of figgies, go someplace like Michaels or Hobby lobby. Go to the craft paint area and pick a shade from the multitude of $.89 bottles.

I have a couple of shades I like, which are not with me at the present, but you can eyeball them there in the store. They will require about two thin light coats for coverage but you can shade and paint over them all you want.

G
jarvis
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 12:20 PM UTC
Tom,
Another thing to take into consideration if you plan on doing more than one figure is that the uniforms faded differently. In many period photos it is obvious that individual Marines' uniforms were different shades.
This mostly came from (as I understand it) how many times the uniform had been washed and slight variations of color in different lots of uniforms.
Also there is the herring bone twill that creates distinctive stripes, some people have the skills to paint these realistically . I know I don't .
Hope this helps.
Travis
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 04:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tom,
Another thing to take into consideration if you plan on doing more than one figure is that the uniforms faded differently. In many period photos it is obvious that individual Marines' uniforms were different shades.
This mostly came from (as I understand it) how many times the uniform had been washed and slight variations of color in different lots of uniforms.
Also there is the herring bone twill that creates distinctive stripes, some people have the skills to paint these realistically . I know I don't .
Hope this helps.
Travis

I figured that it would be genuinely impossible for almost any painter to actually paint the herringbone stripes in proper scale, so a solid color would be acceptable.

As for fabric color variations, I am well aware of them-just walk into any military surplus store. I figure that any color in close range of the officila one would do for the various fabric items.
 _GOTOTOP