_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Holding the 'Line'
Barbarossa
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 216 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 03:18 AM UTC
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share with you all my latest project....., finally got it done before the end of the year, it's been on the go for the last 9-10 months, on & off, so it's nice to clear the sprues & the paints away, ready for the new year's build...

Have wanted to incorporate a railway line into a dio for some time, the size initally was abit off putting for the size of the base, but it all fitted in nicely.
The track is from 'Trumpeter', the sets are all 'Miniart's': Soviet Officers at Briefing (2), Soviet 57mm ZIS-2 Anti-Tank Gun w/Crew & Soviet 57mm Shells w/Ammo Boxes.

The groundwork was made from the usual, plaster, covered with sand & small stones, static grass, moss & finely chopped dried leaves. The cabbage field was added to vary things up alittle, the cabbages were made from milliput & painted.

A couple of small twigs were used to make the little trees, ballast was put between the tracks, & everything was painted with enamels, oils & spray painting.

The 'Miniart' gun kit with crew was enjoyable to make, but I did swap 4 of the heads with some Soviet ones from Hornet. The jeep was from Tamiya I've for ages...., the driver sitting on the bonnet was adapted from the figures that came with it. I use a thin drinking straw for the food tins the crew are holding as nothing came in the kit for them. This is the first time I'd white-washed anything before, I used the 'hairspray' method, & it turned out really nicely. The gun was initally sprayed a very dark green, before I sprayed it with hairspray to give it a coat. The white was then airbrushed on, and when dry, slowly & carefully brushed of in the hard wearing places to reveal the green.
It reminded me of a time when I did a similar thing with a plaster building, but running it under warm water instead at the same time as scrubbing, & the glue melted, sending everything crashing into the sink..... Needless to say,that building ended up having 'alittle' more battle damage than intended!!!

I only used 2 of the Soviet Officers from the box, with the head of the guy from Tamiya's Jeep. The whole scene before the figures & gun were added was sprayed with hairspray & baking powder was sifted over to try & recreate a heavy frost. Didn't want any snow, just some frost to compliment the white washed gun.

Thanks everyone for looking, any comments, critiques most welcome......
Cheers

SIMON.
asmodeuss
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 1,389 posts
Armorama: 1,388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 03:25 AM UTC
Superb, congrats!
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 08:39 AM UTC
Oh... Somebody's gonna have a bad day down range when they cross that rail road embankment and take one in the flank!

The B&W pictures are really nice!
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 10:15 AM UTC
Very nice little dio. The B&W images are amazing. Looking at the figures, you should maybe add more depth to the details ... highlights and shadows. The uniforms look a bit too "uniform".
Tiger_213
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,510 posts
Armorama: 1,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 10:53 AM UTC
Looks fantastic. Glad you got it finished!
AngryEchoSix
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Pacific, United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 61 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 11:19 AM UTC
At first glance, I seriously thought that the first B&W photo was one that you had used for a reference! Simply amazing work!
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2012 - 07:05 PM UTC
Very well done Simon!

Groundwork is very good. You should work now a bit more your face and figure painting

Claude
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 03:25 AM UTC
You have done some very very nice work on the groundwork,foliage and gun/jeep. The positioning of the figgies tells a story and makes sense as do all of the little details that you added.
I agree with what some have already said about how great the B&W pics came out. That first one was just superb!
As a small observation I would point out (as an old retired combat para)that stopping a vehicle at that point(on the high ground)is a no no.
I also concur that there is room for improvement with the figgie painting,IE more contrast on the uniforms with highlights and shadows and on the figgies' faces as well. That is the hardest part for any of us that build dios.
Please be assured that these are just constructive points and that I am very impressed with this dio and all of the fine work that you accomplished in it.
J
Barbarossa
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 216 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - 07:28 AM UTC
Wow....., firstly thanks ever so much on all the positive feedback you've all given. It's much appreciated!!!
Considering this project was supposed to be kept quite simple, the story tells itself etc....., without having to have so much going on, it's good to hear sometimes less is more!!
I agree 100% with you all on the figure (& face) painting being needing more consideration...., probably the groundwork is what I find easier as it probably has more artistic licence that's more forgiving!! Definitely need to work on them uniforms!!
It's amazing what you can do with 'Photoshop', & alittle spare time Good point about the jeep being on the high ground Jerry, never thought of that...., I'll get him to move it right away!!

Thanks again guys,
SIMON.
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,938 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 07:14 AM UTC
Yo Simon,

Splendid work...nice story.

Good groundwork and layout...

Keep up!

Greetz Nico

GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 07:20 PM UTC
Awesome dio. I agree with the others on keep improving the figures, but the B&W photos are perfect!
anti-hero
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 420 posts
Armorama: 307 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012 - 02:49 AM UTC
Simon,

I go along with what the others have said. The layout (except the jeep ) and the ground work are really good. Once you get the figure painting to catch up with the rest you'll be producing some awesome dios.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2012 - 07:34 AM UTC
Hi Simon,

simply love your terrain bits on the dio...and you are right that groundwork in general is a little more forgiving than figs. That's why I'm more into terrain myself!
Keep up the great job m8!
Cheers
Romain
 _GOTOTOP