_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Which K5 is better? Dragon or Trumpeter?
trdnfigrhead
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 64 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 10:31 AM UTC
Greetings everyone,

I have a question to ask you all. I have the opportunity to obtain either the Dragon or Trumpeter K5 kits for a very good price. I'd like to know which I should go for? I like Dragon though I've heard that the Trumpeter is more detailed (way more parts). Which would you recommend?
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 11:13 AM UTC
Check out this link for a great side-by-side comparison of the two kits:

http://pmms.webace.com.au/reviews/vehicles/misc/k5.htm

HTH,
Stuke
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 11:16 AM UTC
Hi, as you have already heard the Trumpeter is more detailed, and a more complex build. The Dragon is an easier build but from all indications still looks good. Here is a link to a comparison review of the two kits on PMMS by Terry Ashley. maybe it can help you make up your mind.

http://pmms.webace.com.au/reviews/vehicles/misc/k5.htm

HTH
Mike
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 05:26 PM UTC
you could also look for a thread entitled "K5 builders" on this site, I think it might just help you decide.I have the Trumpeter version at home and from what i've seen i'm glad i have.
HTH
Pete (++) (++) (++)
trdnfigrhead
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 05:48 AM UTC
Thanks for the link to the comparison. Looks like the trumpeter has something to toot about.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 06:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like the trumpeter has something to toot about.

When opening the boxes and looking through the parts and inspecting the detail there is an overwhelming feeling of what could be described as eroticism. LUST!
This has to be one of the finest kits I have ever opened!! #:-)
Hopefully after christmas ..... I get time to start on it!

On Missing links constructive comments page there were posts from a German guy, whose wife builds the scenery for his vehicles, who is building the Dragon version. He has painted some of the sections and it look very fine as well. They say that most of the extra detail in the Trumpeter kit goes on the roadwheels and chasis and is not seen. So honestly I think which ever model you decide to go for, you will have a stunning model.
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 08:43 AM UTC
With regard to the extra detail on the Trumpeter kit being on the chassis of the rail road trucks i was considering getting some strips of mirror and laying them beneath the trucks,between the track so that some of the detail is visible.Anyone elses thoughts would be appreciated.
Regards
Pete (++) (++) (++)
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 12:14 PM UTC
I am > < this close to finishing major construction operations on my Dragon Leopold.
Since the details are simpler(fewer parts) on the rail trucks,I don't mind.I won't be putting a mirror or anything under mine to see the details that are there.And I suppose on both,the side ladders are the fiddliest bitz.
But i am about 1 modeling session away from finishing mine,IF I can stay away from cahtting in the group chat area. (++) (++) 49 (++) (++)
trdnfigrhead
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2003 - 01:47 PM UTC
Well, I did it. I went out and got a Trumpeter K5.....on layaway #:-) . What can I say? That's what I get for starting to hang out at Armour websites again! Anyways, it was a good enough deal, I got a discount so it's about $140 cdn. (about $108 US) and with 15% tax comes out to about $165 cdn ($127 US). So I can slowly pay in and by Orthodox Christmas (in January) I can justify bringing it home, which is cool. GIve me some time to clean out some current projects and tidy up the bench!! I just wonder where to put it when I'm done!!!!

Oh well!!
brno465
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 87 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2003 - 09:12 PM UTC
I've just completed the main hull on my Trumpeter Leopold, and had one prob pop up.
The bottom cap joining the inner and outer hull parts fouls the barrel elevation mechanism, stopping full movement of the gun. Ok, so it's not a toy - it' not going to be moved up and down when it's finished, but at this stage of the build you need it to move to paint and weather the inner hull properly.

A quick bit of work with a small grinding wheel on the inner lip of the offending part and all is working well, but the resulting contour is not to scale any more is it?

Ok I won't be showing the model off upside down, so it's not realy visible, but I thought it was worth mentioning to anyone building the kit
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2003 - 10:13 PM UTC
I heard that someone is coming out with a special figure kit to go with the Trimperter. Doesn't the Dragon have a set with kit?
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2003 - 10:28 PM UTC
Blaster
Yes the Dragon kit has figures (6 i think) with it, and Trumpeter are advertising an 8 figure set for theirs.For details of the figures go to the PMMs website and look in reviews.
HTH
Pete (++) (++) (++)
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 04:08 AM UTC
Well,
This morning I shot the final base coat of Panzergrau on my Leopold.It is is sections still.
I have the main outer hull with ladders installed.
2 railcars.
Gun and upper deck.
both long side railings for the main hull.
the shell cart.
And the railway bed.
once the paint has cured,I will be securing the gun into the main hull.It looks like the big assembly will have to be mounted on the railtrucks,to protect the ladders on the sides.
Then Ican safely gloss coat it and decal it,followed by more gloss,dullcote,weathering,dullcote. Wheeww

tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 12:40 PM UTC
iam geting the dragon kit after christams.
i been saveing up for a few weeks.
i just got the leopold k5 rail way guns in action what a cool book
 _GOTOTOP