_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Berlin brigade chieftain
paul51
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 159 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 03:59 PM UTC
Hi guys

I would like to make a chieftain from the Berlin brigade. I have the Tamiya mk5 and would like to know if this is suitable and what changes or upgrades are required.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 04:45 PM UTC
To be totally accurate, you need to upgrade to a Mk 10 with Stillbrew Armor. Accurate Armour is your best best bet there. I still have some resin bits for it but it was by another company and did not include all of the other minor details, ie, Clansman(?) radio...
That said, if you just want to do the paint job the Tamiya kit is fine. I did one around '85 or '86 using nothing but three rattle cans of primer - white, brown and grey. Some sites will fail to tell you that the road wheels should be black. I only had one photo I took in a parade back then so I incorrectly did a mirror image of the left and right sides. There are many references out there to help you get it right. Perhaps tomorrow I'll post a photo of the kit with the resin I never finished. If you go with AA it will be costly but worth it.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 04:48 PM UTC
Hi Paul;

Do you want the Urban Block Camo,
The Mk,-5 is o.k. I dont remember who else made a Cheiftain in 1/35, I think your kit will be fine.
Check your references, Ospreys book, and there is others that show the Urban sceme.

CHEERS; MIKE.
paul51
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 159 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 05:44 PM UTC
Yes it was the urban cam that drew my attention.I could only source the Tamiya kit this end of the world so i will give it a go.
zapper
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 745 posts
Armorama: 734 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 10:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

To be totally accurate, you need to upgrade to a Mk 10 with Stillbrew Armor.

Not really. The Berlin paint job were applied to non-Stillbrew Chieftains as well. The main issue with the Tamiya kit is that it's said to be more of a Mk. 3 than 5.

This thread should be of interest:
http://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/171206&page=1&ord=1

Cheers,
/E
mprobinson
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 01:31 AM UTC
The Urban Cammo Scheme was worn by Chieftains Mk.5 to Mk.10 inclusive from what I have seen. The earlier vehicles were first painted in the urban block scheme in about 1982 or so by D Sqn 4/7 Royal Dragoon Guards and since the tanks were assigned to the Berlin squadron with crews rotating in the Mk.10s crewed by the 14/20th KRH were amongst the last to wear the scheme and I have never seen any evidence of Mk.11s being assigned to the Berlin Squadron, hope to be proven wrong! Bob Griffin's upcoming Kagero Chieftain book does cover the Berlin Scheme in the colour plates and would be good reference, due out in mid January.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 02:01 AM UTC
The scheme was devised by an Officer Commanding a Sqn. of 4/7 Royal Dragoon Guards; Major Clendon Daukes.

Rob Griffin being in the same regiment he should have the correct dates and details.

Keith.
mvaiano
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,054 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 08:26 AM UTC
I've built mine a long time ago and used the old Tamiya kit OOB.

During construction I've paid atention mostly to the color scheme. The result pleased me a lot. Look:

The complete article here: In Berlin Cammo

Happy New Year people !

Maro
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 12:10 PM UTC
I stand corrected. The reason I said Mk 10 is because that was what was in use when I saw the cammo sometime around '86. It may even have been as late as '88 as I stayed in Berlin working in a civilian capacity the first time I got out of the army. At any rate, my memory of the resin Stillbrew kit was also not quite right either. It didn't just include the armor, but an entire turret! I even found another Chieftain kit I didn't even know I had, plus the Khalid conversion which I'm selling on the BST forum.

Here's are some photos. I'd consider selling the Stillbrew conversion with the Chiftain kit. The hull with armor is around somewhere...

Anto992
Visit this Community
Ireland
KitMaker: 227 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 12:42 PM UTC
Hello Paul,

I was looking at your post and thought you might want to see this companies site.

http://www.castoff-models.co.uk/products

I have built the stilbrew with TOGS myself and thought it was a lovely conversion.

take a look at all their stuff, they do baskets with stowage in them and 1980s crew gear.

Send me an email if you need any pics.

Anto
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 - 12:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I stand corrected. The reason I said Mk 10 is because that was what was in use when I saw the cammo sometime around '86. It may even have been as late as '88 as I stayed in Berlin working in a civilian capacity the first time I got out of the army. At any rate, my memory of the resin Stillbrew kit was also not quite right either. It didn't just include the armor, but an entire turret! I even found another Chieftain kit I didn't even know I had, plus the Khalid conversion which I'm selling on the BST forum.

Here's are some photos. I'd consider selling the Stillbrew conversion with the Chiftain kit. The hull with armor is around somewhere...

Robert.
In the upper photo the commanders episcopes are incorrect for the time period being replaced by the angled ones..
The Antenna base (left side as you look at it) should be sitting on top of the ATU box and not attached to the turret?
Who's conversion kit is this?

In the lower one, with the MRS system fitted (indicated by the Light source box) the .50 Cal ranging gun was gone and the hole plugged.

Keith.
 _GOTOTOP