_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Clervaux "Villa Prüm"
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 02:22 AM UTC
So guys , the thread about the river just fell to page 2 , so i figure it's about time to start a new and, perhaps to the relief of some of you, the last installment of the Clervaux dio adventure.

The last module, Module 7, is the extension of the river and “only” 70x80 cm big . It will aslso neighbour the module with the parc. I want to build one ‎house near the river banks, some vegetation, a couple of figures and that would be it then. ‎
The river has already be done during last year as I wanted to use up most of my resin, so this ‎leaves me with the one structure to build. But what a build!‎
The "Villa Prüm" is called after the owner and is a massive construction whose look has changed a ‎few times during the early last century and was expanded ever more. I am joking already that the ‎architect of this house should have immediately been fired. Convince yourself:‎
Here is a view from far to get you an idea where to place it in the town of Clervaux. It is the ‎massive whitish house on the right side of the river Clervaux! If you continue your look along the ‎river it will lead you to the bridge, 2 cm above the house on the picture. That’s the bridge I build ‎already.‎

Here is a few of the front right after the war, it was partly destroyed‎

Fortunately, the house is still standing today and i got the possibility to do some close up shots. ‎The vegetation around the house is so dense that I returned in winter once more to get some ‎more shots without disturbing leaves.‎
The front today

On the back of the house

and finally this one! Look at the roof work! ‎

I have about 100 pictures to cover every angle I could see and am right now again, for the third ‎time, trying to figure out how to build this Villa. I am sketching every angle of it (there are more ‎extras in the house then those I showed you) and try to place all those towers and dormers and ‎terraces, chapels and whatever else is in there at the right place. For some areas I am also using ‎other old reference pictures, mainly to get the right proportions and heights of the decorative ‎roofwork.‎

The Villa is right in the middle of the old postcard
Here is a sketch I made to clarify what could b the most complicated part of the build, also the part ‎where I have no clear picture, only little indications here and there. Believe me, I spend a lot of ‎hours to get an idea of this construction

But there is more. Strictly taken the Villa should be 77 cm big in 1/35 ! I only have 80 cm on the ‎module. I certainly don't want it look cramped between the river bank and the module's border, ‎so I need to shrink it somewhat to a size of about 60 cm. This will of course lead to some problems ‎as you can shrink some areas without incidence to the look, but not others. Finding the right ‎balance so that the building will have the feel of the original in the end will be very interesting .‎
First thing to do was to build a cardboard mock up to verify the most rough measures

I made more already but am not really taking a lot of pictures on this one. The construction is ‎routine once the measures are defined, all other reasoning’s are very complicated to tell on a ‎message board. I will try regular updates nonetheless. I am estimating a three months build time ‎as the slate tiling will be complicated because of the small dormers and pointed towers. Also my ‎working room is right now at only 12 °C, so great dedication is needed to spend hours there.‎
Why did I choose to build this monster? How about looking for a challenge? :-)‎
Stay tuned
Claude
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 03:03 AM UTC
Well......if you want to challenge yourself,you picked the perfect building. It would be hard to find a more complicated structure. Nice looking though. I like all of the details,like the chain handrail with the "cannonball" base,chapel turret,etc. Very nice.
Get out the space heater and get to work my friend.
J
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 04:15 AM UTC
Looking fantastic as always. I hope you intend to have a long rest once you finish this one.

Paul
sfctur1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 643 posts
Armorama: 497 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 06:36 AM UTC
Claude,
Looking foward to your updates on this one. Also looking foward to when you do release your next book.
Tom
gwyndaffandy
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 07:02 AM UTC
Looking forward to seeing where this one goes, and can't wait to see them all together.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 11:01 AM UTC
Hey Claude, looks like you have your work cut out for now. One life size jigsaw puzzle to replicate and reduce. But I know you will be able to, after all, you are the master mason of the castle. lol bob d.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 - 04:40 AM UTC
smart move with the mock-up. Easier to start again than half way through the build. Make sure you also use this for doors, windows, details, etc as well. Their placement will also be affected by shrinking the size.
I can understand the attraction in this house, eventhough the size issue .... the architecture/design will look amazing in model form.
baggemats
Visit this Community
Flemish Brabant, Belgium
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 - 08:52 AM UTC
Always a pleasure to see your work Claude!
I hope i get the chance to see this in real life one day
//Mats
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 05:19 AM UTC
Hi Claude,

I'm looking forward to another year of developments on the dio. Good luck with the redesign.

Cheers

Al
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2013 - 04:14 AM UTC
Thank you everyone for being still with me on this one.

After a few weeks of pretty intense work the shell construction (without most roofs)of the Villa is nearly done or at least planned so far to be close to be done.

This is a complete new build and not based on the mockup as I raised the whole thing about 4 cm

The good thing is that basically all the windows are also build already and duplicated, just awaiting the final go. There are 5-6 models of windows I scratched.
Before starting to put them in I wanted a final check on dimensions of the complete build.

From Friday afternoon I had a 20 hour modelling weekend to get just two things done, imaging an how to and actually scratching the arched terrace
Here is a picture of the original seen on the inside

I made it out of plaster, but because it is only 3-4 mm thick and therefore impossible to handle i immediately poured some silicone over it to make a mould

Two copies have already been made and can be set back to back to form the arches.

Another feature of this building i racked my brain on is this multi sided structure,

Hardly visible is the fact that each of the five sides has a window incorporated on the upper part.

I got something figure out, but still have it under silicone in the hobby room so I will discover shortly if it will be a success. I intend to make the sides complete, opening and window already in each copy, just need to assemble five parts. Hopefully :-)

Cheers

Claude

1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,727 posts
Posted: Monday, February 04, 2013 - 06:41 AM UTC

Moien Claude,

you wanted a challenge....well, there you have one, no question about it!

Knowing you I don't have any doubts on the final result though!!

Your first steps look just fine already! I'll definitely keep an eye on further progress!

Good luck!!!

Cheers

Romain
avicenna
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 57 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 11:17 AM UTC
Claude

You have managed to construct a very complex building in a very convincing fashion. I am learning lots from your approach to casting the various sections. I have no doubt that this will be another stunning year for your project.

John
PS We exchanged notes on my La Roche en Ardennes blog on the other web site.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 03:00 AM UTC
How is this going man? I need my Claude fix!!! Just saw your Burgher haus on another thread and I was reminded of the brilliance of your dio. C'mon buddy,post something.
J
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 07:45 AM UTC
Romain, exactly! For now, everything is going fine. I absolutely don't care about the roof so I hope my work will be a good base for the roofwork.

John, indeed, in a build like this , the sequence of work steps is very important.

Jerry, thanks, your wish should be fulfilled then.

I can tell you guys that there is really a lot more work then visible here, but let me not complain, I wanted it like that.

The rounded end of the Villa, (don't know how I should call it else) is basically finished!

Here are the work steps to get there
The upper part is made from a Whisky bottle tube, the lower part of a sanitary tube

There is another tower in the making

and the arched terrace is also progressing

I actually glued it together already and remade the stonework on the corner.

The Octagone is done also, but I did not take pictures of it, so that will be for next time.

Have a good week

Claude

velotrain
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 08:39 AM UTC
Claude -

> ‎The vegetation around the house is so dense that I returned in winter once more to get some ‎more shots without disturbing leaves.‎

Are you quite certain that it wasn't because the leaves were disturbing you? Or, is that what you meant?

Charles
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2013 - 06:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Claude -

> ‎The vegetation around the house is so dense that I returned in winter once more to get some ‎more shots without disturbing leaves.‎

Are you quite certain that it wasn't because the leaves were disturbing you? Or, is that what you meant?

Charles

???

My english is not the best, but you also said essentially twice the same now, isn't it?

Anyway, after the leaves were down, in winter, i took more shots to have a clearer view.

Claude
TotemWolf
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 294 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 02:09 AM UTC
It's looking great. I look forward to seeing more.
Thanks for sharing.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 03:00 AM UTC
Looking good brother! Thanks for the update,
J
velotrain
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 10:51 PM UTC
My fault Claude - it was a silly "environmental - green" joke.

I was taking the view of you not wishing to damage the trees-branches-leaves. Interpreting "disturbing" as a verb (you disturbing leaves) instead of the intended adjective (leaves disturbing you).

However, I know well the photographer's perspective, so guessed your actual meaning.

Are the curved window frames (for the "turret") your own resin castings?

Charles

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Claude -

Charles

???

My english is not the best, but you also said essentially twice the same now, isn't it?

Anyway, after the leaves were down, in winter, i took more shots to have a clearer view.

Claude

Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 10:56 PM UTC
Besides the fact your work looks awesome you keep surprising me, with every update, with your endless enthusiasm and dedication to your already classical Clervaux diorama.

Keep it up and keep us posted! It’s a joy to see your work grow and evolve.

Mark
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 11:30 PM UTC
@Robert, always good to see a new face, thanks for looking

Your welcome Jerry

@Charles, no problem, and yes, the windows are my castings, but of course not rounded. As the copies are resin, i put them for 10 seconds in hot water and bend them over a hard round object (a glass container) with a smaller diameter then my tube. Apply a bit of pressure for a few seconds until they cool down again and they should stay rounded.

For the glass i used clear evergreen sheet because this one had to be round on the inside too.

@Mark Thank you very much. Hey, I will be in Genk (B) on Oct. 12/13 at the Euromodelbouw (not absolutely sure but pretty sure) with the whole diorama. This will be a world premiere !

Maybe you can make it there!

Claude
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 - 11:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Besides the fact your work looks awesome you keep surprising me, with every update, with your endless enthusiasm and dedication to your already classical Clervaux diorama.

That is exactly what amazes me as well. That you manage to keep the focus and the dedication to continue working on this project.
I really enjoy seeing this diorama grow with every update. And Villa Prum will be another masterpiece. With all those weird shapes and connected houseparts it almost looks like something the Dutch artist Anton Pieck designed for the Efteling Amusement park here in the Netherlands.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 02:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

With all those weird shapes and connected houseparts it almost looks like something the Dutch artist Anton Pieck designed for the Efteling Amusement park here in the Netherlands.

Was he crazy? Then it's certainly from him!

Hi Robert! Thanks for your comment.
I don't know why I should not be motivated to finish it. I have so much support and I am about to make a dio who will eventually be remembered in our hobby, so why not.

I am glad that i must stop now because of lack of space, because what would have followed, a hundred figures and a dozen vehicles plus a square meter of forest, that would have stressed my patience for sure.

Saw my note on the expo of Genk? I think you live in the north of NL, isn't it? So it's a bit far for you. I just saw that Scalemodelfactory is the same weekend. I would have loved getting an invite from the other Robert. That's for next year then, if his budget allows it :-)

Claude

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 02:28 AM UTC
If Pieck was crazy or not... he certainly was prolific.
The Efteling started out as a sort of enchanted forest kind of theme park where the popular fairy tales were shown. It was it's time far ahead as well as most of the attractions were automated and moved. Eventually he thought up the Laaf people which got a whole village there as well.
These are some of his original sketches for the themepark

Also he made about a gazillion paintings that ended up on calendars and such. They often showed old timey city and village life. beautiful images like these

If you do a googlesearch on Anton Pieck you will literally get 100's of his drawings.

I hear you on the support you get and rightly so. I could never built something that big. If I had to work on something for so long I would have been bored out of my mind by it about 300 times.

I saw your notion on Genk but I don't think I will attend it. It is pretty far away for me. Hopefully in a few years time I can see it in Veldhoven at the SMC again. Would love to see it complete and live.

Any chance we will get new books soon? I love the first edition. And I still regularly read it through.
berwickj
Visit this Community
Fyn, Denmark
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 02:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Any chance we will get new books soon? I love the first edition. And I still regularly read it through.

Yes, please!! I too, read your first book through quite regularly, especially when I'm having trouble finishing one of my (small) dioramas! I also use your book to show non-modellers what true modelling skill is.
(and I like the autograph! )

John
 _GOTOTOP