_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Home made spray booth
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 - 01:25 PM UTC
I have been known to be a little frugal LOL.

$49.00 kitchen exhaust fan, $12.00 worth of flexible conduit and adapter and a leftover chunk of 1/4 inch MTF.

And voila!

cheers
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2013 - 01:35 PM UTC
Looks good.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 - 05:43 AM UTC
Outstanding design. Love the use of a kitchen exhaust fan. Sure wish I would have thought of that before I built mine.
Joel
umax5555
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 02:06 PM UTC
Is it safe to use with enamels, thinners and such?
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 02:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is it safe to use with enamels, thinners and such?

I don't see why not. For the millilitres of paint that gets used per session I really don't foresee any hazards.

cheers
sdk10159
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 556 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 03:52 PM UTC
Nice work!
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 07:26 PM UTC
I'm going for the cheap prize.

Blower off of a broken Christmas yard ornament attached to a cardboard box.

Standard A/C filter cut to fit in the box.

So far I'm out $4 for the filter and a couple more bucks for wire nuts.

The yard ornament also came with a turntable and a string of lights. I just have to wire them up and then I'll have a set up that only need a decent box.
overthedge21
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 01:53 PM UTC
Good looking spraybooth sauceman that was one good idea does it completely filter out all of the paint fumes, or do you just have it running out of your window?
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 - 03:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Good looking spraybooth sauceman that was one good idea does it completely filter out all of the paint fumes, or do you just have it running out of your window?

My hobby room used to be my laundry room, so I vent it out the dryer vent hole in the wall

cheers
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 10:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

My hobby room used to be my laundry room, so I vent it out the dryer vent hole in the wall

cheers

Uh oh! Conjuring up a vision of no longer needing that laundry-room... "Years back I discovered a bar of Peerless Soap - the best bath-soap money might buy - Since which time, I've used no other!" Just funnin'!

I was going to try that route myself - use the available dryer-vent as my booth-exhaust port. Alas, that vent opens into my garage... One of a few disturbing little designer stupidities I found when I moved into my current house. But I pretty much won after all as I have this fancy cooking-top with a nicely-lit (halogen floods) hood... and a powerful down-draft vent right between the burners! I simply park an opened-up cardboard box over that down-draft and turn her on! The range hood floods provide gobs of light, plenty of room to move stuff around in, and the fumes and stuff rush down and out.

On a cautionary note: Please do be careful about what type of electric motor blowers and fans you use in your spray-booths... those fans and motors made to be used as range-extractors and dryer extractors may be better protected against sparking which can ignite fumes - other motors may not be so safe.

PS: SWMBO squirmed a little at first whenever I set my spray-booth up, but she's become used to it now! "Just be sure none of that paint you throw around ends up on my granite counters or in our food!" Harrumpf!

Bob
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
Armorama: 289 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2014 - 11:28 AM UTC
Last time I built a house, I had a drier vent added just for my airbrush adventures. Before I got the ducting in place, Mice invaded my basement. They tried eating the paint off of a P-51 spinner and packed my drill press full of dog kibble.

Alas, both the house and mice are gone now...
 _GOTOTOP