Operation Herrick: Afghanistan
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 11:18 AM UTC
Sorry Chris,
With all the talk about mine,I forgot to say the Lynx looks exellent.Waiting for the crews is a set back,but at least they are working on them.A hint to 1/35 manufactures.

Tom
Csouthwood
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 01:57 AM UTC
Hi Trisaw,
To my knowledge the Land Rovers and Coyote/Jackal are open to both the British regular Army as well as the Special Forces. The SAS and the Marines definitely both use Land Rovers (such as the 'pink panthers' used by the SAS in the First Gulf War) but I am not sure what sorts of modifications they use and if you can make them out of this kit...maybe someone will do an aftermarket mods set for them later.
Hey tom,
Oh the joys of the internet! Your Snatch is looking good (joking aside) and the camo on the troopers is very nicely done. Didn't you get the WMIK as well? i look forward to seeing it!
Thanks
C
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 06:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Trisaw,
To my knowledge the Land Rovers and Coyote/Jackal are open to both the British regular Army as well as the Special Forces. The SAS and the Marines definitely both use Land Rovers (such as the 'pink panthers' used by the SAS in the First Gulf War) but I am not sure what sorts of modifications they use and if you can make them out of this kit...maybe someone will do an aftermarket mods set for them later.
Hey tom,
Oh the joys of the internet! Your Snatch is looking good (joking aside) and the camo on the troopers is very nicely done. Didn't you get the WMIK as well? i look forward to seeing it!
Thanks
C

Thanks, Chris! I appreciate the answers!
Csouthwood
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 06:44 AM UTC
http://www.adrianstomcat.co.uk/PinkPanthers.htm There are a few Panther snaps on this guys page. Apparently only a hundred or so were made to this specification.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 11:14 AM UTC
Hi guys,
Beyond weathering and touch ups I think I'm done so far.Decals weren't very good to stick.The mesh ones around the rear windows and tail lights were impossible to do because I had already glued the doors open.The driver side window doesn't have the mesh because I cut it out and can't find it anywhere so far.The mesh for the windshield seems far too small and there is quite a space at the top and bottom.Finishing up the figures and a hint I found is to attach the weapon to the hand first before the torso.
Second Rover up next.Sorry about the lousy pics,due for a better camera I guess.

Tom
 photo airfix006_zps3ecd1b4e.jpg  photo airfix005_zps3a1ce44a.jpg  photo airfix004_zps2910c161.jpg  photo airfix003_zpsc34bf7cd.jpg  photo airfix002_zpsef5596bd.jpg  photo airfix001_zpsc7cc796e.jpg
bat-213
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 788 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 11:31 AM UTC
your landy looks great,well done.
Csouthwood
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 02:08 PM UTC
Hey Tom, That Landy is looking very good. It looks like Airfix have acknowledged that decal cages are a pants idea and they released a PE set, I may go for this... Does anyone have any experience sticking PE to clear plastic? And How do I best treat PE? I always fluff it up and as a result I am very highly against the stuff, but if the kit needs it...
C
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 12:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

sticking PE to clear plastic?

Chris, you could try Deluxe Materials Glue 'n' Glaze, it dries clear and doesn't dissolved the plastic, and can I think even be peeled off if it goes wrong. I think it would hold metal to clear if the mating surface is pretty good.
Otherwise they have another product called SuperCrylic that even says it glues metal to plastic, but it sounds unnecessarily heavy duty for what you're talking about - like, you don't need structural or mechanical strength.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2013 - 11:23 AM UTC
Thanks Roy,
I was a little worried to add decals to the clear parts.Chris,I am not a big fan of PE either.Nice thing about Trumpeter is they usually give a choice.plastic or PE.The PE mesh would be better for the windows.If you know anyone in the jewelly field I've read that the glue they use for watch crystals works and drys perfectly clear.Fri.night and Landy 2 begins.Stay tuned for hopefully better pics.

Tom
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 11:16 AM UTC
Hi guys'
Landy 2 in the works.Instructions are a little off at some points.I kept breaking the rear view mirrors and decided they won't be attached until the end.I'm leaving off the side armour and rear.Don't want to cover the time painting.One thing that PO'ed me is they call out paint numbers during assembly,but don't give a paint reference anywhere. Troops are almost done.
How's things going with yours Chris?

Tom

photo landy2004_zpse9ae3e06.jpg  photo landy2003_zps3ca99130.jpghttp://put.url.here/image.file" BORDER="0">  photo landy2001_zpsc51a9837.jpg  photo landy2006_zps7b96b4af.jpghttp://put.url.here/image.file" BORDER="0">  photo landy2007_zps79a630e4.jpg  photo landy2008_zps87c9a90a.jpghttp://put.url.here/image.file" BORDER="0">
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 06:16 AM UTC
Number 2 is done exept for weathering.
A few fit problems.Instructions for the passenger machine gun,very confusing to me.Luckily I had the Hobby Boss 1/35 to refer to.Disappointed there were no clear parts for any of the lights,the tail lights more than anything.A lot of hand painting with this scale.A little stowage done with tissue and a tiny map on the floor.Doe's anyone know who may carry 1/48 stowage?
Up next,the Jackal.

Tom

photo rover3006_zps76d6523e.jpg  photo rover3005_zps2e29fbcb.jpg  photo rover3004_zpsd5e86756.jpg  photo rover3001_zps8ec93c95.jpg  photo rover3003_zpsef5169a9.jpg  photo rover3002_zpsc4c825e4.jpg
Csouthwood
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 06:28 AM UTC
Those look awesome! I especially like the WMIK. As far as stowage on these the Black Dog boys do a set of resin 'US Modern Equipment' stowage or something like that. My mate who was in Afgan says that set 4 of the US equipment is the best, but you will have to ditch the water bottles and rifles. I will have to get a bit more done on mine, I have the chassis together and I will take pics when they are sprayed up etc.
C
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 07:25 AM UTC
Great to here from you Chris.
Thanks for the info,I'll check it out.I hope they release the crew set soon.Are we the only ones working on these?
Look forard to your pics.

Tom
Csouthwood
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 08:28 AM UTC
I have been talking to some mates in the business and they say we will be lucky if they release them before November.
As far as I know we are the only ones at this time, I do check occasionally.
C
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 08:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great to here from you Chris.
Thanks for the info,I'll check it out.I hope they release the crew set soon.Are we the only ones working on these?
Look forard to your pics.

Tom

Hi Tom, e

xcellent stuff, I've been quietly following your builds since I got a pc again. I'll be working on a set of these later in the year for a friend who intends to use them for wargaming, he's just collecting all the sets and bits required before we kick off the project. It's good to see your builds and the few others around. Steve Zaloga is working on the Jackal and has posted some stuff on another forum so that is going to help interest in these sets I think. Anyway great work.

Brent
9504cheffy
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 129 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 10:03 AM UTC
Looking realy nice mate , one point though this version of the WMIK had the side armour and plate above the driver fitted as this is The R WMIK Plus the very latest version . The vehicle is completly different to the other WMIK,s and has a new rear armoured tub as can be seen from the rear wheel arches. Here are a few in service pics of the R WMIK PLUS

Mate hope this doesnt offend you as i wouldnt want it to , but the build mate is very nice .
Regards Neil
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 02, 2013 - 11:09 AM UTC
No offence at all Neil,
Thanks for the pics,I haven't had much luck with my trying to find any.Now to try and remove the parts and add the armour.Thanks again.

Tom
Csouthwood
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 01:39 AM UTC
What I think has happened is the Airfix WMIK is the new one portrayed in Cheffy's great pictures. The main differences between them seem to be the (very obvious) 'cabin' armour, the chassis plating and the baggage rack. Would anyone in the know be able to confirm? I intend to build one WMIK as the new version and one as the older version if this is the case

C
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 07:47 AM UTC
Hi guys,
Had to go through the garbage trying to find the extra armour pieces.Found everything exept the drivers door.
Looking at the instructions again I see they have it in 2 versions for the finished kit.1 with all the add on and the 2nd with just the roof over the driver and the new storage box.I'm just guessing Neil,but the side armour can probably removed?Anyway I'm not going to change mine,exept for better painting referce.

Tom
9504cheffy
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 09:38 AM UTC
I think it would be very hard to back date it to one of the prev versions of the WMIK as the hole of the rear body of the new WMIK is totaly different. If you look at pics of the old one you will notice that it has the wheel arche exstentions and the body is more narrow with a different interior. The seating would not be correct nor the dash or front wings . Im not saying it could not be done but it would need a hell of a lot of scratch building doing.
Good luck to you though if you try and keep us all updated.
Regards Neil.
9504cheffy
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 09:46 AM UTC
Here are a few pics that show the difference,s btwn the 2 vehicles

Old style

er-conversion_zps583b3b1f.jpg[/IMG]

New style

Hope these pics may help
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 09:56 AM UTC
Hey Neil,
I can add the armour without,the 1 door.Your right,the seats are much different.Can I get away with only having the passenger door ???
Thanks,
Tom
9504cheffy
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 03, 2013 - 10:18 PM UTC
Im sure you could get away with both doors missing as sometimes units make changes to there vehicles to suit how the crew would want them.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 09:49 AM UTC
Thanks Neil,

I was hoping you would say that.

Tom
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 09:15 AM UTC
Hi guys,
It's been awhile.I did end up adding the armour exept for the doors.
Have you seen this?
AgustaWestland Merlin HC3 1:48.Looks very nice.Pre-order at Lucky Model.$53 which I can handle,but the shipping they say is almost $35.I hope that can't be correct.$88 is an awfully expensive 1/48 helicopter and I for one won't pay that.

Tom