_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
New Sherman parts available
mmcalc
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2013 - 01:37 PM UTC
I just uploaded some new things:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/202777&page=1#1698864

Mike
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2013 - 11:51 AM UTC
The brush guards look interesting, but getting them off in one piece may be a challenge. It's good thing there are so many!
mmcalc
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 - 10:26 PM UTC
They are up on "stilts" to try and alleviate the removal problem, but yes, that is why there are so many.

I am trying to figure out how to model some bent ones.

Mike
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 12:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They are up on "stilts" to try and alleviate the removal problem, but yes, that is why there are so many.

I am trying to figure out how to model some bent ones.

Mike

Mike,

Is the wire diameter the smallest shapeways can achieve? Because it still looks a bit over scale.
mmcalc
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 11:57 AM UTC
It is over sized. The smallest wire is 0.6mm, so it's about .500 scale inches too big.

Mike
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 01:24 PM UTC
Mike: I read on another website that Shapeways is saying they are having technical difficulties producing the periscope guards and have removed them from the site. Can you illuminate?
mmcalc
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2013 - 02:37 PM UTC
Roy,

Which website was the post on if you don't mind me asking.

Here's what has happened. This morning I got an email saying the periscope guard model could not be produced because one of the sections was too thin. This evening after work, I fixed the model and reloaded it. Tomorrow, someone at Shapeways should recheck the part. After the model has been passed by the Shapeways checker, Shapeways says they then contact who ever had their order cancelled and let them know the problem has been fixed. They can reorder the parts if they want to. So, in any case, the periscope guard parts should be available again soon.

The models are checked by different people at Shapeways. They apparently have a set of rigid rules they follow and reject models they deem incorrect. The checkers either don't check every order or different checkers see things differently. A number of periscope guards have been bought and have already shipped, apparently without production problems. It is quite random.

This happened with the exhaust deflector. I bought three different test versions, one after each rejection, all in an attempt to ensure that the part was tested and that future models that customers would buy would be sure to pass, yet, the same models wound up getting rejected even after I had bought a test part and I thought I had all of the bugs fixed.

It is very frustrating. The check is somewhat arbitrary in my opinion, but there isn't anything I can do. I wrote a letter to the service manager and got a canned reply back. So now I just fix the issues as they come up. Hopefully everything will stabilize after a while.

I am truly sorry for the inconvenience.

Mike Canaday
 _GOTOTOP